Post-Game Talk: Blue Jackets @ Caps, 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
And once he got in net he, unlike, Gruby, actually played well.
Yeah let’s yank the guy after one game. Great idea that always works well!

What happens when Holtby steps in and shits the bed? Grubauers confidence would be torn to shreds for being pulled after game 1 and both goalies would have zero confidence.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
And once he got in net he, unlike, Gruby, actually played well.
Do you not believe Gruby played well? 50% of the goals he gave up were Powerplay goals, one goal was on busted coverage because the puck popped off a broken stick, and the OT goal is pretty debatable (our defense looked like pylons for Panarin).

I feel like Grubuaer was never given a chance to steal the game because the moment we took the lead we decided to recede into straight prevent defense.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA

What happens when Holtby steps in and ****s the bed? Grubauers confidence would be torn to shreds for being pulled after game 1 and both goalies would have zero confidence.

Well, that’s a hypothetical, we know that Gruby already shit the bed in game 1. Had he been even average, we win the game. A beer league goalie would’ve stopped the OT goal by taking a good angle.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
This game thread:
R5p9G94.gif

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Well, that’s a hypothetical, we know that Gruby already **** the bed in game 1. Had he been even average, we win the game. A beer league goalie would’ve stopped the OT goal by taking a good angle.
Bruhhhhh, what are you talking about? I count one goal of 4 that I would say he could have saved, and that one goal was an undefended shot from Artemi Panarin that went upper 90 on an angle, also show me a beer league goalie who can stop a Panarin breakaway fart let alone an undefended shot.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Bruhhhhh, what are you talking about? I count one goal of 4 that I would say he could have saved, and that one goal was an undefended shot from Artemi Panarin that went upper 90 on an angle, also show me a beer league goalie who can stop a Panarin breakaway fart let alone an undefended shot.

Uh, Scott Foster can?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Do you not believe Gruby played well? 50% of the goals he gave up were Powerplay goals, one goal was on busted coverage because the puck popped off a broken stick, and the OT goal is pretty debatable (our defense looked like pylons for Panarin).

I feel like Grubuaer was never given a chance to steal the game because the moment we took the lead we decided to recede into straight prevent defense.

These...are excuses. Every goal can be forensically analyzed and some excuse can be made. Locker has made a career out of it lol.

Cup winning goaltenders find ways to make saves, and win. Period. If you don't have that guy you don't get a Cup. I don't know if we have that guy. We'll see.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well, that’s a hypothetical, we know that Gruby already **** the bed in game 1. Had he been even average, we win the game. A beer league goalie would’ve stopped the OT goal by taking a good angle.
The Panarin OT goal is on Orlov for overcommiting with a reach of a stick check that let Panarin skate on by. That was a sick individual effort and there’s no way in hell a beer league goalie could have stopped that shot

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

What happens when Holtby steps in and ****s the bed? Grubauers confidence would be torn to shreds for being pulled after game 1 and both goalies would have zero confidence.

Which is why I suggested a fixed rotation from the start. There is no long term pressure, just single game focus.

They HAD to start Gruby in game 1 because of the records/play down the stretch. The only scenario that wouldn't be awkward would be a decisive, Vezina quality game from him. It didn't happen because OF COURSE IT DIDN'T. That kind of play is so rare, especially in the playoffs, it's not worth basing your personnel philosophy on. It was wishful thinking.

So now they're left with questions and potential confidence issues regarding who's starting and who's better. If G2 were simply Holtby's start in the rotation it would be all about him just doing his job for this game and that's it.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
These...are excuses. Every goal can be forensically analyzed and some excuse can be made. Locker has made a career out of it lol.

Cup winning goaltenders find ways to make saves, and win. Period. If you don't have that guy you don't get a Cup. I don't know if we have that guy. We'll see.
They're not excuses, they're reality. This BS idea that a great goalie can defend everything regardless of the ice in front of him is such overblown and exaggerated idea. People cite teams like the Murray Pens or the Halak Habs as evidence and ignore that those teams beat us in other facets of the game. You'd have to go back to 'Nam to find a series against the Pens in which their defense let us get uncontested shots off, they blocked almost every shot we put towards the net. Or how about in that Canadiens series we peppered them with shots but their defense was excellent at forcing us to take garbage shots with no real chance. They pushed us to taking quantity over quality.

Find me a team that actually went deep in the SCF with an incompetent team in front of the goalie, it has never happened, it is a myth.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They're not excuses, they're reality. This BS idea that a great goalie can defend everything regardless of the ice in front of him is such overblown and exaggerated idea. People cite teams like the Murray Pens or the Halak Habs as evidence and ignore that those teams beat us in other facets of the game. You'd have to go back to 'Nam to find a series against the Pens in which their defense let us get uncontested shots off, they blocked almost every shot we put towards the net. Or how about in that Canadiens series we peppered them with shots but their defense was excellent at forcing us to take garbage shots with no real chance. They pushed us to taking quantity over quality.

Find me a team that actually went deep in the SCF with an incompetent team in front of the goalie, it has never happened, it is a myth.

No they are literally excuses. Every single goal in the NHL can be described with some "yeah but". Have you ever watched a Caps home broadcast? Locker does this with nearly every goal against and he's been doing it for decades.

These excuses and goals stand out because of their importance to the final score, so they're easier to dissect. What never gets processed are the great saves that, had they not been made, came pre-loaded with several excuses. If Gruby makes the save on the play where the puck hit the stick IN THE NEUTRAL ZONE FFS then we never talk about it again. Plenty of goaltenders make saves like that all year. They're forgotten. The only reason we focus on this particular excuse is because the save wasn't made.

The Cup winning goaltenders don't make EVERY save, as you say, but they make enough of them so there aren't so many of these excuses.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Trotz is just being gentle with Cbus for now. Next game it's time to knock them out with top-line Beagle!

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't think anyone needs to root for Trotz to fail to see change, both the lack of comments by both GMBM and Leonsis when directly asked have made it very clear this is a man playing for his job. If he thinks playing safe with this roster, literally the thing that has gotten him into this position, is going to save him so be it. Part of me believes he should coach the way he sees fit if this is his interview to keep his job, I would hate for him to drastically alter his style, have some success, be resigned, revert back to classic Trotz style. Win with the Trotz turtle or go pack your bags at this point.

Reactions: Bananas

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"Barry Trotz can't manage young scoring talent and favors grinding defensive veterans"

"Oh yeah!? Prove it!"

(see tweets above)

Reactions: calicapsfan

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Entered this thread to bawl about the lineup but you guys doing rather well so far. God bless you.

P.S. I'd be really glad to see Trotz go this summer. No matter what outcome of this playoffs will be. I just can't stand his decisions on the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->