Blue Chip Prospects: Where do you draw the line?

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
So with this line of reasoning MANY,MANY members of HHOF would never have been considered "blue chip".

Of course. Just as in the stock markets the term comes from, very few of the best performing stocks are considered blue chips.

For those who are curious, the term "Blue Chip" actually has a definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blue chip

blue chip also blue-chip·per (blchpr)
n.

1. A stock that sells at a high price because of public confidence in its long record of steady earnings.
2. An extremely valuable asset or property.
3. Games. A blue poker chip of high value.

It seems most of the confusion comes because some people only apply definition 1, while others use that of 2 and 3. I prefer to use all three.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I would consider blue chip as potential:

-top pairing d-man
-1st line forward
-starting goalie

The Canucks have got 3 of them in my books: Schneider, Bourdon, and Grabner

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
See...I see those as simply potential franchise players...

I'll use Penguins players here as my thought(max out at 4 examples per term)

Franchise(******)- Players with the potential to carry a team. Ex. Crosby, Malkin
Blue Chip(*****)- Players with the potential to be legitimate first line forwards, first pairing defenders, or All Star calibur goalies. Ex. Fleury, Whitney, Staal
Second Tier(****)- Players with the potential to be top 6 forwards, top 4 defenders, or starting goalies. Ex. Welch, Armstrong, Stone, Sneep
Third Tier(***)- Players with the potential to be top 9 forwards, top 6 defenders, or mediocre starting/good back-up goalies. Ex. Talbot, Letang, Carcillo, Filewich
2 Star(**)- Players with the potential to make it to the NHL, but most likely not stick. Ex. Gifford, Fernholm, Leinonen
1 Star(*)- Players with little to no shot of making the NHL. Ex. Bartschi, Isakov, Peluso

These terms still stand on? Or is there new ones?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->