OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Ain't that the truth, still can't believe it took the BB's coaching and management staffs took three friggin years to finally realize Davis was garbage! Waste of three years where you could have been grooming someone with potential!
I was really steamed when this happened. Shows a real lack of judgement...they couldn't have gotten rid of him earlier? Especially when they decided not to have a practice roster qb! I don't think that Davis will be tearing up the league anytime soon...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I was really steamed when this happened. Shows a real lack of judgement...they couldn't have gotten rid of him earlier? Especially when they decided not to have a practice roster qb! I don't think that Davis will be tearing up the league anytime soon...

Bombers had a PR QB all year last year. It wasn't the same one, but they had 3-4 different guys rotate through at various times. Not guys they liked clearly since they brought none of them to camp. I expect the same situation to play out this year with Mahoney starting there, but likely be bringing some different guys throughout the year.

Bombers added back DT Jake Thomas to the DL today. National DT Ian Marouf was carted off today so it might be in response to that or it might be that the Bombers are not happy with the progress of Faith Ekakatie.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Randle dropped to the CFL?

He actually wasn't awful when he was in the NFL. That's a solid pickup for the bombers.

Don't know much about him. Can he return kicks? It's likely the only way he makes the team is if he can. It's pretty hard to manage the ratio to carry an extra international WR if he can't return, particularly when you use an international as a kicker. You only get 20 international roster spots. 16 of those are going to be starters, leaving just 4 backups. Medlock is one. The rest you have guys like Flanders, a backup DB (Fogg?), and they have 3 starting DE so maybe one of them (Jeffcoat?). The space is so limited.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Don't know much about him. Can he return kicks? It's likely the only way he makes the team is if he can. It's pretty hard to manage the ratio to carry an extra international WR if he can't return, particularly when you use an international as a kicker. You only get 20 international roster spots. 16 of those are going to be starters, leaving just 4 backups. Medlock is one. The rest you have guys like Flanders, a backup DB (Fogg?), and they have 3 starting DE so maybe one of them (Jeffcoat?). The space is so limited.
Looks like he returned punts in 2012 + 2013 before he became a starter for the Giants.

Was fairly productive as a WR, 938 yards receiving in 2014, 797 in 2015. Cut by Eagles in 2016 and hasn't found a job since.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Thomas is probably back due to that injury. He was decent last year and is Canadian, so it’s not bad. Wouldn’t be surprised in Ekakatie isn’t progressing well, he’s a boom or bust pick, and is teetering towards bust.

Randle I believe has experience with returns. He was fairly decent in the NFL and has a real shot at being our best receiver but will obviously be behind Bowman, Adams, Dressler to start.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pretty much ends any chance of Givens coming back as he sounds quite a lot like Givens. We'll see how the WR situation shakes out, there's ALOT of bodies in camp right now. Other NFL bodies like Dye are still in the mix along with some young guys I hear getting alot of praise like Washington and Coney. It'll be a battle for maybe one backup/scratch international spot. Assuming our guys make it through camp healthy. I'm guessing the Bombers look for ways to keep these guys around cause of the lengthy injury history of Dressler and Adams and even Bowman showed signs on slowing down and having injury issues last year.

Guys with lengthy NFL resumes always make me go meh. More often than not they are very mediocre in the CFL. Undervalued guys coming out nowhere almost always have more success.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
How are things gonna work with our 3 RBs? Harris, LaFrance and Flanders, 2 nationals and an import. All capable of starting although obviously we know it’s Harris who will

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thomas is probably back due to that injury. He was decent last year and is Canadian, so it’s not bad. Wouldn’t be surprised in Ekakatie isn’t progressing well, he’s a boom or bust pick, and is teetering towards bust.

Ekakatie was the exact opposite of a boom or bust player. He was a bit of a project, but he's a run stopping DT that was pretty safe to be a decent backup. At very least I'm guessing he has a career like Don Oramasionwu, with his upside being of a smaller Doug Brown type that can start and eat up blocks. It's looking more and more like he will be that rotational backup type guy rather than the starter they envisioned though.

Thomas is a real solid backup that always appeared to me like he could be a starter in the right situations. I'm really surprised he was unsigned. It will give us a nice mix if we can keep both Ekakatie and Thomas around as Ekakatie can spell Nevis as the run stopper and Thomas can trade off with Johnson as the pass rushing DT.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Ekakatie was the exact opposite of a boom or bust player. He was a bit of a project, but he's a run stopping DT that was pretty safe to be a decent backup. At very least I'm guessing he has a career like Don Oramasionwu, with his upside being of a smaller Doug Brown type that can start and eat up blocks. It's looking more and more like he will be that rotational backup type guy rather than the starter they envisioned though.

Thomas is a real solid backup that always appeared to me like he could be a starter in the right situations. I'm really surprised he was unsigned. It will give us a nice mix if we can keep both Ekakatie and Thomas around as Ekakatie can spell Nevis as the run stopper and Thomas can trade off with Johnson as the pass rushing DT.

I might have him confused with that o-line man (Pencer) that we took a few years back, but I thought I remember TSN guys saying he was a boom or bust guy. Might be wrong there.

But it’s very upsetting to take a backup guy like that first overall, I would’ve much preferred another offensive lineman.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How are things gonna work with our 3 RBs? Harris, LaFrance and Flanders, 2 nationals and an import. All capable of starting although obviously we know it’s Harris who will

All 3 will be on the roster. LaFrance will be the backup to Harris. Flanders will be used in different packages with 2 RB to give different looks, likely replacing an international WR in those packages.

Honestly I have no idea the ratio works in game. I know you need the 7 starters, but how is it monitored considering the rotations among WR and DL. If you want an extra international on O, how can you prove that you are going to add one on D. Would it just be the next play as to have another extra national on D? Couldn't you just do that continually on your first play basically ensuring you always have an extra spot? The in game adjustments to ratio I've never understood.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
I think this years offence will have so many weapons, so many play specific packages, gonna be hard to defend knock on wood injury wise, still a little worried about the defense would really like to see them really tighten up, optimistic thought, and it looks like they brought in some nice pieces capped off by the signing of Bighill.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I might have him confused with that o-line man (Pencer) that we took a few years back, but I thought I remember TSN guys saying he was a boom or bust guy. Might be wrong there.

But it’s very upsetting to take a backup guy like that first overall, I would’ve much preferred another offensive lineman.

Well there just wasn't anyone to take in that draft class. It is looking to be a VERY weak draft class.

After Ekakatie in the first round you have
SSK - LB Chris Judge - A backup STer that is not looking like much more. Concern about whether he will even make the team this year IIRC.
BC - WR Danny Vandervoort - Made as many catches as Drew Wolitarsky last year. No talk of him being a starter even this year.
HAM - DE Connor McGough - Pure ST backup right now. Not sure but doubt he is being looked upon as any kind of future starter.
EDM - WR Nate Behar - Appeared in 12 games last year, no catches. Looks to be an open battle for national WR spot in Edmonton, might be a starter.
CGY - DL Randy Colling - Appeared in just 2 games last year. Already 28 years old.
BC - DL Junior Luke - Looking the steal of the draft. Made 7 starts on the DL last year, recording 2 sacks. Ok we missed on this one.
WPG - OL Geoff Gray - Best OL in the draft, unfortunately has bounced around NFL rosters, finished last year on Cleveland's main roster.
OTT - OL Evan Johnson - Backup with Ottawa last year, too early to tell what will happen.

It just wasn't a strong draft for OL or anywhere really. Luke is looking like the steal (was considered a bit of a reach), with Behar, Vandervoort, and Johnson maybe having some upside still. McGough, Ekakatie, Judge may all show something but signs have not been great thus far. However it takes 3-4 years before nationals often settle in to CFL game.

Bombers got the #2 and #5 (Spooner) rated OL prospect out of that draft already.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ddx6uDGVwAA3uTO.jpg:large

Bauming's intrepretation of the depth chart after day 3. Looks like he hasn't added 4 newcomers (WR's Randle and Thompkins, DT Thomas and DB Priestner) yet. Also WR Tony Stevens was released.

Since I copy so much over from him, I'll just post this here. Follow him on twitter Darrin Bauming (@DarrinBauming) on Twitter since he is best source for BB info hands down, IMO.

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
All 3 will be on the roster. LaFrance will be the backup to Harris. Flanders will be used in different packages with 2 RB to give different looks, likely replacing an international WR in those packages.

Honestly I have no idea the ratio works in game. I know you need the 7 starters, but how is it monitored considering the rotations among WR and DL. If you want an extra international on O, how can you prove that you are going to add one on D. Would it just be the next play as to have another extra national on D? Couldn't you just do that continually on your first play basically ensuring you always have an extra spot? The in game adjustments to ratio I've never understood.

Teams declare their starters 1 hour before the game. Those depth charts the CFL posts are actually the legit depth charts they declare 24 hours before the game and then the final roster with 2 man reserve is declared 1 hour before the game.

Teams declared starters indicate how their ratio will run. If they declare a Canadian DT, LB and DB as starters, they have 3 on D and must always have 3 Canadians on the field for every defensive play, not necessarily in those specific positions (and subsequently 4 Canadians at all times on offense). The head linesman, line judge and side judge monitor substitutions to be sure teams follow this, designated imports (basically the imports who aren't starting) have to report when they sub in to the official on their sideline. They can only sub for another import. Canadians can sub for anyone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Teams declare their starters 1 hour before the game. Those depth charts the CFL posts are actually the legit depth charts they declare 24 hours before the game and then the final roster with 2 man reserve is declared 1 hour before the game.

Teams declared starters indicate how their ratio will run. If they declare a Canadian DT, LB and DB as starters, they have 3 on D and must always have 3 Canadians on the field for every defensive play, not necessarily in those specific positions (and subsequently 4 Canadians at all times on offense). The head linesman, line judge and side judge monitor substitutions to be sure teams follow this, designated imports (basically the imports who aren't starting) have to report when they sub in to the official on their sideline. They can only sub for another import. Canadians can sub for anyone.

Thanks. So that's my confusion there, teams cannot switch their national spots from O to D in game. So basically the Bombers will likely be going with 6 nationals on O, 1 on D.

This will make getting a guy Randle on the roster even harder, IMO. They will want the backups as much as possible to be on the defensive side. So the "designated internationals" will likely be mostly on the defense. I'm guessing that both Flanders and a WR (possibly Randle) will make the roster, but one will always be scratched (this is as always barring injuries). The other scratch is likely to be LT Foketi. He was a scratch in I believe all 18 games last year (might have dressed for one or two). The other "designated internationals" will likely be a DB and a DL/LB.

EDIT: I put "designated international" in parentheses since I haven't heard that terminology since the switch from the outdated import/non-import terminology. Not sure if they have a new term for backup internationals.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Thanks. So that's my confusion there, teams cannot switch their national spots from O to D in game. So basically the Bombers will likely be going with 6 nationals on O, 1 on D.

This will make getting a guy Randle on the roster even harder, IMO. They will want the backups as much as possible to be on the defensive side. So the "designated internationals" will likely be mostly on the defense. I'm guessing that both Flanders and a WR (possibly Randle) will make the roster, but one will always be scratched (this is as always barring injuries). The other scratch is likely to be LT Foketi. He was a scratch in I believe all 18 games last year (might have dressed for one or two). The other "designated internationals" will likely be a DB and a DL/LB.

EDIT: I put "designated international" in parentheses since I haven't heard that terminology since the switch from the outdated import/non-import terminology. Not sure if they have a new term for backup internationals.

Randle and those kind of guys are basically fighting to stay in town and be injury replacements. Bomber imports on O are pretty much set, only opening could be Flanders spot. A guy like Myles White would have a better shot of cracking the roster with the time he spent here last season.

Bombers will almost surely go with Medlock, Flanders, a DL and a LB/DB as the DI's to start.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Randle and those kind of guys are basically fighting to stay in town and be injury replacements. Bomber imports on O are pretty much set, only opening could be Flanders spot. A guy like Myles White would have a better shot of cracking the roster with the time he spent here last season.

Bombers will almost surely go with Medlock, Flanders, a DL and a LB/DB as the DI's to start.

Yeah we'll see. If LaFrance shows up like his Ottawa days, I think Flanders may end up getting scratched to allow another WR on the roster. I agree what you said is most likely, but I could see a WR forcing his way onto active roster over Flanders. Personally I've never been that impressed with Flanders as he just seems like Harris lite. A player that could add different dynamic might be appealing.

And also it's a long 3 weeks until the season opens and injuries are bound to happen. So that will likely make all this talk irrelevant haha.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Well there just wasn't anyone to take in that draft class. It is looking to be a VERY weak draft class.

After Ekakatie in the first round you have
SSK - LB Chris Judge - A backup STer that is not looking like much more. Concern about whether he will even make the team this year IIRC.
BC - WR Danny Vandervoort - Made as many catches as Drew Wolitarsky last year. No talk of him being a starter even this year.
HAM - DE Connor McGough - Pure ST backup right now. Not sure but doubt he is being looked upon as any kind of future starter.
EDM - WR Nate Behar - Appeared in 12 games last year, no catches. Looks to be an open battle for national WR spot in Edmonton, might be a starter.
CGY - DL Randy Colling - Appeared in just 2 games last year. Already 28 years old.
BC - DL Junior Luke - Looking the steal of the draft. Made 7 starts on the DL last year, recording 2 sacks. Ok we missed on this one.
WPG - OL Geoff Gray - Best OL in the draft, unfortunately has bounced around NFL rosters, finished last year on Cleveland's main roster.
OTT - OL Evan Johnson - Backup with Ottawa last year, too early to tell what will happen.

It just wasn't a strong draft for OL or anywhere really. Luke is looking like the steal (was considered a bit of a reach), with Behar, Vandervoort, and Johnson maybe having some upside still. McGough, Ekakatie, Judge may all show something but signs have not been great thus far. However it takes 3-4 years before nationals often settle in to CFL game.

Bombers got the #2 and #5 (Spooner) rated OL prospect out of that draft already.

It looks like Judge may get the start at Will linebacker for the riders this year.

Of course McGough is not a starter, he is stuck behind Cappicotti who is a pretty good defensive end.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Well Bombers made an interesting signing today. They've added QB Bryan Bennett. If the name sounds familiar, it's because it's his second tour with the team. He was the PR QB added in late 2015 and spent 2016 with the Bombers. Last year he was in camp with Saskatchewan but was released at the end of camp. I'm not sure where he fits in. It might mean they are not happy with Streveler. I haven't heard anything about Streveler but apparently Ross has been very impressive.

Bombers also added a new WR/KR. They released a LB and DL Larry Webster. I had thought Webster (a former DET Lion 4th Rd Pick with great size at 6'6'' 270LBS) was going to be the backup international DT, but it sounds like the Bombers are really impressed with Brandin Bryant so far for that role. It seems more likely the 24yo NFL undrafted Bryant will accept a PR spot than the 28yo Webster so that might also have played a part (unlikely another international DL makes the roster if all of Jeffcoat, Okpalaugo, and Roh are healthy).

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well Bombers made an interesting signing today. They've added QB Bryan Bennett. If the name sounds familiar, it's because it's his second tour with the team. He was the PR QB added in late 2015 and spent 2016 with the Bombers. Last year he was in camp with Saskatchewan but was released at the end of camp. I'm not sure where he fits in. It might mean they are not happy with Streveler. I haven't heard anything about Streveler but apparently Ross has been very impressive.

Better to be unhappy now than in the middle of a game, I haven't been terribly impressed with any backup QB the Bombers have had since Joey Elliot and that lasted about 3 plays. I remember the Bombers were back against their goal line after either Jyles or Pierce were injured and Elliot came in and looked like a seasoned vet when he was arranging his blocks.

I've heard that both Simonise and Petermann have looked great today.

Hopefully it's not another injury plagued season for Dressler, but from a team perspective I think they've filled out the receiver depth enough that if he misses time it won't be a killer.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Better to be unhappy now than in the middle of a game, I haven't been terribly impressed with any backup QB the Bombers have had since Joey Elliot and that lasted about 3 plays. I remember the Bombers were back against their goal line after either Jyles or Pierce were injured and Elliot came in and looked like a seasoned vet when he was arranging his blocks.

I've heard that both Simonise and Petermann have looked great today.

Hopefully it's not another injury plagued season for Dressler, but from a team perspective I think they've filled out the receiver depth enough that if he misses time it won't be a killer.

Yeah we'll see about QB. I'm guessing we get a good look at Streveler, Bennett, and Ross in the first preseason game next week (only 1 week until Bombers!).

Hearing good things about the WR position. Lots of internationals making some noise, but as you say it sounds like the nationals are making an impact as well. Tyrone Pierre had raving reviews as well before his injury. Wolitarsky better hope he gets back on the field soon cause that 2nd national WR is up for grabs.

It sounds like the competition at WR and DB is crazy good this year. It'll be really interesting to see how this plays out. It sounds like Marcus Sayles is the early front runner to make noise in the DB corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->