OT: Blue Bombers Thread - 2018 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Bombers have re-signed Andrew Harris through the 2020 season. At the end of the 2020 season Harris would be turning 34 in a few months. Not alot of details, that's pretty old for a RB but he has shown no signs of slowing down to date. Not sure if he will last another 3 seasons, but it does pretty much mean he will retire a Bomber.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So at the start of camp may as well do a guess at the final roster since I'm bored. I know very little about CFL rookies, particularly international rookies, so yes this won't be close to reality. There will likely be more than a few surprises, particularly in terms CFL rookies. Also remember that this assumes 100% are healthy, when in reality like 5-8 players will go to IR after camp meaning that's another 5-8 spots.
Starters
Offense

QB: Matt Nichols
RB: Andrew Harris*
WR: Darvin Adams, Weston Dressler, Adarius Bowman, Nic Demski*, Drew Wolitarsky*
OL: Stanley Bryant, Patrick Neufeld*, Matthias Goossen*, Sukh Chung*, Jamarcus Hardwick
Defense
DL: Tristan Okpalaugo, Drake Nevis, Cory Johnson, Craig Roh
LB: Chandler Fenner, Kyrie Wilson, Jovon Santos-Knox
S: Taylor Loffler*
HB: Maurice Leggett, Anthony Gaitor
CB: Chris Randle, Stephen Clarke

Specials
K: Justin Medlock
P: Felix Menard-Briere*
LS: Chad Rempel*
PR: Kevin Fogg
KR: Nic Demski*

Backups (italics are the scratches)
Offense
QB: Alex Ross, Chris Streveler
RB: Timothy Flanders, Kienan LaFrance*
FB: Mike Miller*
WR: Rashaud Simionise*, Daniel Petermann*
OL: Michael Couture*, Manase Foketi
Defense
DL: Jackson Jeffcoat, Trent Chorney*, Faith Ekaktie*
LB: Ian Wild, Jesse Briggs*, Thomas Miles*, Frank Renaud*
S: Derek Jones*
DB: Kevin Fogg, Abu Conteh*

Practice Roster (remember I'm not predicting injuries so if we are being honest a bunch of these guys would be on roster or IR as well, which is why I am listing more than the practice roster limit as well as I don't know which players are eligible to return to school for 5th year so some might be heading there):
QB Zack Mahoney*, FB John Rush*, WR Tyrone Pierre*, WR Brendan Thera-Plamondon*, WR AJ Coney, WR Dontreea Dye, OL Qdar Spooner*, OL Cody Speller*, DL Larry Webster, DL Chris Casher, LB Shayne Gauthier*, LB Quentin Gause, DB Brandon Alexander, S Brendan Morgan*, DB Kahleen Branning*, DB Brian Walker

Holy crap with no injuries it's hard to say how tough this is. Like every other CFL team the Bombers will make use of the injury list to retain more players than I am listing here.

Now that the Jets have crapped out, I’m looking forward to the Bombers.

Seems like you have a pretty good roster set out there. We have a very good team this year.

However, we will be screwed if Nichols goes down. Hoping we can get a better backup, though it’s unlikely.

Hopefully the B.C. guys improve our secondary, but who is Clarke? I don’t remember him. And Wilson? Was he a backup for us last year? I guess he might backup now that we have Bighill?

Also hoping Ekakatie improves, do first overall picks usually spend their first season primarily as a backup?

Also think they might start Simionise, I know he is young, but the kid has got game.

Only area I think we downgraded was LG, because Bond is way better than Neufeld, but moving a Canadian into the starting lineup might actually be a positive move or at the very least a lateral move.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Really like the Bighill signing.

Hurl vs Bighill...

Huge upgrade at MLB.

Isn’t it nice having a GM who knows what he is doing? Back in the Joe Mack days, let me tell ya, we would have never have gotten someone like Bighill.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
Bombers have re-signed Andrew Harris through the 2020 season. At the end of the 2020 season Harris would be turning 34 in a few months. Not alot of details, that's pretty old for a RB but he has shown no signs of slowing down to date. Not sure if he will last another 3 seasons, but it does pretty much mean he will retire a Bomber.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the Bighill signing in terms of freeing up cap money.

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018

Seems like you have a pretty good roster set out there. We have a very good team this year.

However, we will be screwed if Nichols goes down. Hoping we can get a better backup, though it’s unlikely.

Hopefully the B.C. guys improve our secondary, but who is Clarke? I don’t remember him. And Wilson? Was he a backup for us last year? I guess he might backup now that we have Bighill?

Also hoping Ekakatie improves, do first overall picks usually spend their first season primarily as a backup?

Also think they might start Simionise, I know he is young, but the kid has got game.

Only area I think we downgraded was LG, because Bond is way better than Neufeld, but moving a Canadian into the starting lineup might actually be a positive move or at the very least a lateral move.

I think Petermann will be a great addition. I watched him play the last 2 seasons at McMasters and was terrific except when he played against my team Western :D . I think he has more upside than Simonize. Not sure if Simonize will get his head straight, he had issues in the past, hopefully that is behind him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Ok I'll good point by point with what I think here.

We have no experience behind Nichols, this is true. However it also means we don't have any limitations behind Nichols. Durant or Glenn we know we are getting very mediocre play if he goes down. Alex Ross is a guy Rigmaiden at least seems really high on, and Chris Streveler is a guy that had lots of NFL interest but decided to take the safer bet with the Bombers. Who knows maybe one or both are home runs.

Clarke is a pretty talented guy that has struggled immensely to stay on the field due to injuries. Has just 7gp over the past two seasons, whether that's scratches or injuries I'm not entirely sure, but he was really good for BC in 2015 in 16gp. Kyrie Wilson was released out of camp last year, but ended up spending almost the entire season on the PR. Showed some promise late last year and the reports I've heard had him as the leading contender for MLB. This was posted before the Bighill signing. If he makes the roster now it might be as a backup LB with strong ST play like Knox was 2 years ago. But the reports I've heard about Gause has him as a more promising prospect, so I think Wilson might end up cut with the Bighill signing.

It's very common for 1st overall picks to be a backup for a year in the CFL. In fact most 1st round picks spend 2-3 years backing up before taking the step into a starting role. It's a contentious issue with many in the CFL since rookie deals are generally 3 years, which is how long it takes to develop guys out of the national draft. So right as they are ready they hit FA and leave for hometowns or more money. Ekakatie was always going to be bit of a project. They knew that going in. He will rotate in this year, but with the ratio changes Nevis and Johnson (along with maybe Webster) will be the starters in the middle of the DL. I expect another mediocre season from Ekakatie, he might be starter ready in 2019. This is just the reality with the national draft, most if not all players are projects (only the occasional OL step right in like Chung, even most OL is like Goossen in that they backup a year or two).

With the Coates injury and release, the wide side WR spot became super open for the taking. Drew Wolitarsky has the advantage of his experience of a year (where he actually showed ok in his very limited time) but both Simonise and Petermann have a realistic shot of taking it. The Bombers have committed too hard to the current ratio to try to change that now, it will be a national out on that island. In the past teams have just relegated a nobody out there to use up a roster spot, but nowadays it is important to have a guy that can play. I think Wolitarsky gets the spot out of camp, but Simonise has serious potential and in future years may even move into a much more important spot. Not many Nationals get NFL looks, and since Simonise has a suspension if he ever returns to NFL, that will not ever be an option for him. He has the most upside, but also the most risk. Wolitarsky and Petermann are more traditional national wide side WR, good possession guys that run good routes, whereas Simonise is a big fast gamebreaker but with character and consistency issues.

Yes we downgraded at LG for sure. But as you say getting that 3rd national on the OL is huge. The Bombers are going from a team that started 3 players on the defensive side of the ball to just 1. That should really help the D. Ultimately it is really REALLY hard long term to start 3 internationals on the OL. Neufeld if he can stay on the field has proven to be a competent guard (albeit a terrible tackle) and the really excellent play of Bryant and Goossen on either side of the LG spot should help nicely. Of note is that Neufeld will face challenges from Couture and Spooner. The BB staff have been really high on both those guys for a couple of years now and the current regime has shown be pretty good on OL matters. It's why they didn't target OL at all this off-season despite the Bond loss.

Overall with the Bighill signing I think the Bombers are nearly even with the Stamps as favourites to take the West. Stamps have suffered key losses in retirements, but they always find guys. Lions and Riders shouldn't be serious threats and the Esks you never know. Barring too many crippling injuries I haven't been this hopeful for a team since maybe the 07 team. This just might be the best team since the 01 team even.

Awesome pick up with Bighill

Big Blue are gonna rock in 2018

FYI I am GOLD MEMBER on the B.B. forum, super fan and poster extraordinaire

I have seen you there. I check in on the BB forum often, but despite trying to register several times they never accept it whenever I've tried to register. It's really frusterating I never get the email to confirm my registration. I am always looking to talk Bombers.

Isn’t it nice having a GM who knows what he is doing? Back in the Joe Mack days, let me tell ya, we would have never have gotten someone like Bighill.

Good old Joe Mack. So glad those days are done. Mack didn't believe in CFL UFA, you see his influence in MTL now (sign no proven QB's, trust NFL cast offs). f*** that guy, Mike Kelly into Joe Mack where the worst days ever to be a BB fan. The change all started with Wade Miller becoming president. I don't normally support former players into upper management like that, but he is such a smart business man that knows how to hire then trust the guys he hires. Completely changed the BB both on and off the field.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the Bighill signing in terms of freeing up cap money.

Possible? Sure. Likely? No. IMO. I don't think Harris took any kind of discount for this. If anything I think they may have increased his pay this year to reduce future years hit since Bighill took such a huge sweetheart deal to sign in WPG (most CFL insiders are saying he signed WAAAAY below market value) and the Bombers have a pricy veteran in mind that if he doesn't have a huge camp they will release to get camp compliant. This is pure speculation from me though. The most likely scenario is that Harris wanted to commit to the Bombers long term and the Bombers were more than willing to make that work for him.

I think Petermann will be a great addition. I watched him play the last 2 seasons at McMasters and was terrific except when he played against my team Western :D . I think he has more upside than Simonize. Not sure if Simonize will get his head straight, he had issues in the past, hopefully that is behind him.

Great to hear. Petermann was very highly rated in the draft and considered one of the top 3 steals in the draft by most. I don't know alot about him but he sounds like a possession guy for the wide side that is always valued in the CFL. I don't think he has more upside than the bigger, faster more dynamic Simonise, but he is alot safer it sounds like. Simonise certainly has character issues which is why I laughed at projections that had the Bombers taking him but the Bombers obviously feel alot stronger in their character in the dressing room these days and Matthias Goossen went to high school with Simonise and has nothing but good things to say about him so I am hopeful. Let's hope that Simonise has learned from the past. Maybe the Bombers can eventually get their own "Canadian Air Force" going if all of Demski, Simonise, Petermann turn out ala Riders a few years back.

EDIT: Just to add rather than a new post, first day of camp is done. Of note Chandler Fenner, Kyrie Wilson, and Jovon Santos-Knox were the #1 D LB's. Leggett is still recovering from his injury last season (and the rumours have him moving the HB this season) and Bighill won't be up into camp until Tuesday or Wednesday. Camp is a REALLY volatile time so no guarantees, but Ian Wild not in the starting lineup is a clue that I think he will be a TC/cap casualty. He is too experienced and too expensive (I think CFL salaries are not widely available) to be a backup and ST guy. I really don't think he makes the roster day 1. Also disappointed Tharod Simon decided to retire rather than come north, he was an intriguing DB with great size and experience. But there's so many DB's in camp so we'll see. Chris Givens was officially suspended, it appears he does not want to continue in the CFL. Too bad.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Ok I'll good point by point with what I think here.

We have no experience behind Nichols, this is true. However it also means we don't have any limitations behind Nichols. Durant or Glenn we know we are getting very mediocre play if he goes down. Alex Ross is a guy Rigmaiden at least seems really high on, and Chris Streveler is a guy that had lots of NFL interest but decided to take the safer bet with the Bombers. Who knows maybe one or both are home runs.

Clarke is a pretty talented guy that has struggled immensely to stay on the field due to injuries. Has just 7gp over the past two seasons, whether that's scratches or injuries I'm not entirely sure, but he was really good for BC in 2015 in 16gp. Kyrie Wilson was released out of camp last year, but ended up spending almost the entire season on the PR. Showed some promise late last year and the reports I've heard had him as the leading contender for MLB. This was posted before the Bighill signing. If he makes the roster now it might be as a backup LB with strong ST play like Knox was 2 years ago. But the reports I've heard about Gause has him as a more promising prospect, so I think Wilson might end up cut with the Bighill signing.

It's very common for 1st overall picks to be a backup for a year in the CFL. In fact most 1st round picks spend 2-3 years backing up before taking the step into a starting role. It's a contentious issue with many in the CFL since rookie deals are generally 3 years, which is how long it takes to develop guys out of the national draft. So right as they are ready they hit FA and leave for hometowns or more money. Ekakatie was always going to be bit of a project. They knew that going in. He will rotate in this year, but with the ratio changes Nevis and Johnson (along with maybe Webster) will be the starters in the middle of the DL. I expect another mediocre season from Ekakatie, he might be starter ready in 2019. This is just the reality with the national draft, most if not all players are projects (only the occasional OL step right in like Chung, even most OL is like Goossen in that they backup a year or two).

With the Coates injury and release, the wide side WR spot became super open for the taking. Drew Wolitarsky has the advantage of his experience of a year (where he actually showed ok in his very limited time) but both Simonise and Petermann have a realistic shot of taking it. The Bombers have committed too hard to the current ratio to try to change that now, it will be a national out on that island. In the past teams have just relegated a nobody out there to use up a roster spot, but nowadays it is important to have a guy that can play. I think Wolitarsky gets the spot out of camp, but Simonise has serious potential and in future years may even move into a much more important spot. Not many Nationals get NFL looks, and since Simonise has a suspension if he ever returns to NFL, that will not ever be an option for him. He has the most upside, but also the most risk. Wolitarsky and Petermann are more traditional national wide side WR, good possession guys that run good routes, whereas Simonise is a big fast gamebreaker but with character and consistency issues.

Yes we downgraded at LG for sure. But as you say getting that 3rd national on the OL is huge. The Bombers are going from a team that started 3 players on the defensive side of the ball to just 1. That should really help the D. Ultimately it is really REALLY hard long term to start 3 internationals on the OL. Neufeld if he can stay on the field has proven to be a competent guard (albeit a terrible tackle) and the really excellent play of Bryant and Goossen on either side of the LG spot should help nicely. Of note is that Neufeld will face challenges from Couture and Spooner. The BB staff have been really high on both those guys for a couple of years now and the current regime has shown be pretty good on OL matters. It's why they didn't target OL at all this off-season despite the Bond loss.

Overall with the Bighill signing I think the Bombers are nearly even with the Stamps as favourites to take the West. Stamps have suffered key losses in retirements, but they always find guys. Lions and Riders shouldn't be serious threats and the Esks you never know. Barring too many crippling injuries I haven't been this hopeful for a team since maybe the 07 team. This just might be the best team since the 01 team even.

I have seen you there. I check in on the BB forum often, but despite trying to register several times they never accept it whenever I've tried to register. It's really frusterating I never get the email to confirm my registration. I am always looking to talk Bombers.

Good old Joe Mack. So glad those days are done. Mack didn't believe in CFL UFA, you see his influence in MTL now (sign no proven QB's, trust NFL cast offs). **** that guy, Mike Kelly into Joe Mack where the worst days ever to be a BB fan. The change all started with Wade Miller becoming president. I don't normally support former players into upper management like that, but he is such a smart business man that knows how to hire then trust the guys he hires. Completely changed the BB both on and off the field.

Possible? Sure. Likely? No. IMO. I don't think Harris took any kind of discount for this. If anything I think they may have increased his pay this year to reduce future years hit since Bighill took such a huge sweetheart deal to sign in WPG (most CFL insiders are saying he signed WAAAAY below market value) and the Bombers have a pricy veteran in mind that if he doesn't have a huge camp they will release to get camp compliant. This is pure speculation from me though. The most likely scenario is that Harris wanted to commit to the Bombers long term and the Bombers were more than willing to make that work for him.

Great to hear. Petermann was very highly rated in the draft and considered one of the top 3 steals in the draft by most. I don't know alot about him but he sounds like a possession guy for the wide side that is always valued in the CFL. I don't think he has more upside than the bigger, faster more dynamic Simonise, but he is alot safer it sounds like. Simonise certainly has character issues which is why I laughed at projections that had the Bombers taking him but the Bombers obviously feel alot stronger in their character in the dressing room these days and Matthias Goossen went to high school with Simonise and has nothing but good things to say about him so I am hopeful. Let's hope that Simonise has learned from the past. Maybe the Bombers can eventually get their own "Canadian Air Force" going if all of Demski, Simonise, Petermann turn out ala Riders a few years back.

EDIT: Just to add rather than a new post, first day of camp is done. Of note Chandler Fenner, Kyrie Wilson, and Jovon Santos-Knox were the #1 D LB's. Leggett is still recovering from his injury last season (and the rumours have him moving the HB this season) and Bighill won't be up into camp until Tuesday or Wednesday. Camp is a REALLY volatile time so no guarantees, but Ian Wild not in the starting lineup is a clue that I think he will be a TC/cap casualty. He is too experienced and too expensive (I think CFL salaries are not widely available) to be a backup and ST guy. I really don't think he makes the roster day 1. Also disappointed Tharod Simon decided to retire rather than come north, he was an intriguing DB with great size and experience. But there's so many DB's in camp so we'll see. Chris Givens was officially suspended, it appears he does not want to continue in the CFL. Too bad.

Wow. Spectacularly marvellous post. I read it all. Thanks for this.

I really just can’t wait for this season to start. Much like you, I have high hopes for this team. Hoping they don’t disappoint.

One other point/question: Looks like the Bombers are going with a National punter now? Hopefully he’s pretty decent, and hopefully Medlock is back to his old clutch ways. Can this Menard-Briere guy kick field goals?

Edit: In regard to Givens: I agree that is too bad. He looked decent last year and was actually not bad for the Rams a few years back. But where exactly would he play? Receivers are probably Adams, Bowman, Dressler, Demski, Wolitarsky/Petermann/Simonise (which is an awesome receiving corps by the way). Even Harris, Flanders and LaFrance likely play more as receiver than Givens unfortunately.

Edit 2: Turns out I had more to say after reading your post another time.

I’m optimistic about our backup QBs but Ross seems like a guy BC gave up on, which is very concerning. Weren’t Brohm and Davis guys from other CFL teams too? I don’t know much about Strelever (or anything about him). Durant was meh in Montreal (though him and that overweight guy (Lewis) tore us apart last year) but I think he would’ve been a good backup. Although I prefer Bighill (who will start) over that bum AINEC.

If it’s true Bighill took a pay cut to come here, that is awesome news. I remember Obby Khan saying Winnipeg had a terrible culture compared to Calgary, and it would be hard to attract players. Hopefully Bighill’s signing shows that we are a good organization on the cusp on winning.

Like I said, hopefully these BC dudes are good for us in the secondary, because that was our downfall last year but then again BC was trash last year so I’m leary about being too optimistic.

Roh looks to be almost as good as Westermann just minus the passport (which Neufeld makes up for) so hopefully our pass rush is good.

How long is the Bombers camp?

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bombers have a tough act to follow given what we saw with the Jets (my condolences btw, live in the city but grew up a Bruins fan) and i have to say, stuff looks good going forward. Probably the most excited about the team in a long time.

I think anything less than a second place finish in the West is a disappointment. There's some legit competition at the top but we are surely better than BC and Saskatchewan. Please build on that absolute gongshow of a playoff loss.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow. Spectacularly marvellous post. I read it all. Thanks for this.

I really just can’t wait for this season to start. Much like you, I have high hopes for this team. Hoping they don’t disappoint.

One other point/question: Looks like the Bombers are going with a National punter now? Hopefully he’s pretty decent, and hopefully Medlock is back to his old clutch ways. Can this Menard-Briere guy kick field goals?

Haha wasn't sure anyone would so thank you! I like talking Bombers cause I feel more like a fan, with the Jets and NHL I am more critical and know more about systems/rights/play/coaching/locker rooms/etc haha.

Menard-Briere was taken in the 2017 draft. In USports he did both kick field goals and punt, but he is known for his punting. He even had a try-out in 2017 with the New York Giants as a punter. He was very mediocre at field goals in university from what I've heard, so he is in just for the punting at the pro level (and of course would serve in a pinch as the backup kicker). I think they will take a long look in camp at what Menard-Briere can do in the punting game. Personally I feel taking punting off Medlock's plate so to speak would help him but who knows. Because he's finished with USports I think Menard-Briere will stick around even if just on PR (unless scooped by another team) the question will be whether using the roster spot on Menard-Briere is worth it compared to another LB/FB special teamer. It's not a question I've had the opportunity to bring up with Bauming yet as I've been focusing on the MLB (until Bighill), National WR #2, backup QB spots so far, but it's something I'll ask when I get a chance. If he can do the job (ie probably less leg but more accuracy than Medlock) I'd like them to keep him, but the CFL with it's 44 man (41 once you subtract 3 QB's) gameday roster limit it's always a tough squeeze to have 3 dedicated spots to specialists (K, P, LS) on the roster.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Edit: In regard to Givens: I agree that is too bad. He looked decent last year and was actually not bad for the Rams a few years back. But where exactly would he play? Receivers are probably Adams, Bowman, Dressler, Demski, Wolitarsky/Petermann/Simonise (which is an awesome receiving corps by the way). Even Harris, Flanders and LaFrance likely play more as receiver than Givens unfortunately.

Edit 2: Turns out I had more to say after reading your post another time.

I’m optimistic about our backup QBs but Ross seems like a guy BC gave up on, which is very concerning. Weren’t Brohm and Davis guys from other CFL teams too? I don’t know much about Strelever (or anything about him). Durant was meh in Montreal (though him and that overweight guy (Lewis) tore us apart last year) but I think he would’ve been a good backup. Although I prefer Bighill (who will start) over that bum AINEC.

If it’s true Bighill took a pay cut to come here, that is awesome news. I remember Obby Khan saying Winnipeg had a terrible culture compared to Calgary, and it would be hard to attract players. Hopefully Bighill’s signing shows that we are a good organization on the cusp on winning.

Like I said, hopefully these BC dudes are good for us in the secondary, because that was our downfall last year but then again BC was trash last year so I’m leary about being too optimistic.

Roh looks to be almost as good as Westermann just minus the passport (which Neufeld makes up for) so hopefully our pass rush is good.

How long is the Bombers camp?

Ok here's the extra you added (glad to see I'm not the only one who uses the edit button frequently.

Givens would have been a backup no doubt. But valuable as a returner as he was a gifted kick returner as well. And as always injuries crop up, he for sure would have been #4 among internationals, IMO. This likely gives Lankford another shot to make the roster which is unfortunate, IMO, since he is a garbage receiver, IMO. We'll see. Kevin Fogg is also a good returner in the DB corps, and Demski can also return as a starter, so there's some flexibility (of course risking Demski in the return game is chancy with no proven depth among national receivers behind him). The return game will be a nice TC battle.

About QB's it's really hard to say. BC "gave up on" Ross sure, but then again they had a regime change. Players are often given up in regime changes as they want to bring in their own guys. He was terrible in the VERY limited time he played last year, but he is a hand picked guy from Rigmaiden who has proven he knows how to bring in US guys (BC director of US scouting recruited Jennings for example). Hervey took over and wanted his own guys in to compete for spot #3, this happens. Streveler again is a guy the Bombers have been recruiting all off-season. He is a proto-typical CFL QB from what I hear (big, strong, can run, quick reads, quick release) and had NFL interest but decided to take the sure thing in the Bombers. That sounds like Bombers are very high on him. This regime does not have a good history with QB's (brought in Nichols in emergency got lucky, Davis, Brohm, etc) so we'll see. Davis spent a year as Calgary's #4 QB yes, but Brohm was brought north by the BB. Former 2nd round pick in NFL, I don't blame them for trying, I blame them for sticking with him so long though. Durant was a guy who's arm was completely dead. Like I said he was good insurance as a guy you know would be mediocre for a few weeks, maybe able to game manage if Nichols was down 2-4 weeks, but watching him plunge balls into the ground last year in Montreal was pitiful. With the young guys you have a lower floor, but a higher ceiling.

175K is what they are saying for Bighill, and for a guy that can be a top 3-5 D player in the league that's a massive steal. Roh was apparently one of his best friends in CFL and Harris shares an agent with him so both helped recruiting. Obby Khan was a bright spot in a terrible era, I'm not surprised he says this. But one underrated aspect of O'Shea is that he is the ultimate players coach and players want to join what he's built here. The culture has changed so drastically from the Mack/Kelly era it's crazy. All the talk in the past 2 years has been about how Winnipeg is such a welcoming environment from coaches to locker room. You saw that in the early days of O'Shea/Walters as they strove to bring in character guys. Recently it seems they are now comfortable with the locker room to take on some chances (like Simonise) but they are big on locker room culture.

Well it's hard to say, but the guys BB have added from BB are some of the highest regarded among BC defenders. Fenner is Leggett type player and well respected around the league. Gaitor is also well respected. Clarke is a wildcard. I honestly don't think our secondary last year was as bad as it seemed since we had little to no pass rush all year which is huge in terms of secondary play. And 2 of the returnees in Walker and Alexander are very iffy to even make the team.

Which leads into the last point, the pass rush is a big question mark to me and I've mentioned it. Okpalaugo is inconsistent as hell and Roh and Jeffcoat are solid in both run stopping and pass rush but not outstanding in either. We need more pressure. What might be a big difference is having "Poop" Johnson dressed every game. We had much more success when he was providing pass rush from the middle than when he was out. Last year it was a ratio issue where Thomas/Ekakatie had to play DT and you could only have the run stopper (Nevis) or the pass rusher (Johnson) in at DT. This year we can start both.

Well the camp is two weeks. We open pre-season at home on June 1. Pre-season game 2 is a week later on Jun 8 in BC (on TSN so we finally can see all 20+ BB games on TV this year). Final roster deadline is probably June 11-12. Season opens on Thursday June 14 at home against the Esks.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Myles White...a receiver to watch. Similar style to Dressler but a touch bigger.

I’d be shocked if Lankford made it on the game roster to start the season.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bombers signed former Giant Rueben Randle ... probably an upgrade on what Givens would have been. That is some incredible receiving depth, bye bye Lankford

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Have to get a decent back-up QB somehow , i hope one of the guys we have right now shows they can play .

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i'm trying to think of the Bombers' weaknesses.
Backup QB
Kicking (last year was definitely a step back and hopefully an anomaly)
and...we still weak on the corners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->