OT: Blue Bombers Thread 2.0 - Home Playoff Game, Nov 12, 330PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I was frustrated by the defensive play/calling. I have not been there live lately but it feels my 72 yr old triple bypass dad could for sure could get open and catch at least 1 on this d.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes, Bombers played like trash but the refereeing was equally trash. Fantom fumble on Nichols, 2 point conversion penalty, and some other blown calls

The Ham 2nd and 10 from 16 had 2 seperate obvious holds when they got down to 1 on scramble. There's 4 points. Missing hit head hit on Nichols not to mention screwing up review is another 4 points. Terrible call on 2 points. Etc. etc. I've spent all night drinking to forget this horribleness, but the reffing was awful. Albeit no matter how horrendous (and I seriously think refs were given mandate to keep Hamilton in playoff race) it was still a game that Winnipeg gave away. They did struggled to contain Masoli and struggled against the run. Then Hamilton exploited the deep threat to great effect in the WR screen, underneath knowing that WPG was struggling to contain the run. The defense was a mess and the offense was not good enough to compensate. This was a full team loss, that just can't happen at this time of the season.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
The missed holds on that play were egregious, no question. Okpalaugo beat his block clean off the snap and got absolutely mugged.

Call made on the two point convert was correct. It's an obscure CFL rule, but you can't advance a ball that's been batted forward (ie. an offside pass). Different story if it's a kicked ball.

I thought the ruling on Nichols' first fumble was bad at first, but really it was a 50/50 kind of call. Not enough evidence on the replay to overturn. Have no idea why O'Shea didn't throw a challenge flag for roughing the passer, likely would've won it.

Like most people are saying, refs were hardly the deciding factor. Hamilton played desperate football, Bombers started slow and looked deflated after the first two drives fizzled with Davis at QB.

Reactions: sipowicz

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Put together a talented team, hold them back with bad coaching.

It's a Winnipeg thing. ;)

Goldeyes have good coaching at least!

Not so sure last night's Bomber beating was a result of coaching...at least not the HC. Defensive Coordinator...maybe?

It was just such a frustrating game to be at; especially after beginning to gain such a high level of belief that this FB team has finally turned the corner.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Ham 2nd and 10 from 16 had 2 seperate obvious holds when they got down to 1 on scramble. There's 4 points. Missing hit head hit on Nichols not to mention screwing up review is another 4 points. Terrible call on 2 points. Etc. etc. I've spent all night drinking to forget this horribleness, but the reffing was awful. Albeit no matter how horrendous (and I seriously think refs were given mandate to keep Hamilton in playoff race) it was still a game that Winnipeg gave away. They did struggled to contain Masoli and struggled against the run. Then Hamilton exploited the deep threat to great effect in the WR screen, underneath knowing that WPG was struggling to contain the run. The defense was a mess and the offense was not good enough to compensate. This was a full team loss, that just can't happen at this time of the season.

I agree. I was saying all game that it looked like someone high up in the CFL needed Hamilton to win. Better for ratings I suppose.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Goldeyes have good coaching at least!

Not so sure last night's Bomber beating was a result of coaching...at least not the HC. Defensive Coordinator...maybe?

It was just such a frustrating game to be at; especially after beginning to gain such a high level of belief that this FB team has finally turned the corner.

Not sure how it ended up, I turned the game off well before the end, but Andrew Harris was well below his normal number of touches through most of the game. That's idiotic to me and I put that on LaPo. Ultimately, the buck stops with MOS. This did not look like a team than came in prepared, or able to adjust to what was being thrown their way. Now we have 4 tough games, and may not have our starting QB. I can see that home playoff game slipping away because we allowed a weak opponent to come in to our house and embarrass us.

Edit: And refs don't decide outcomes. Not unintentionally, and certainly not with intent.

Reactions: FFHockey

Whileee

May 29, 2010
When the opposing QB goes 27/33, the other team racks up 146 yds rushing and has the ball for 38+ minutes, reffing is not the problem.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
It's been hidden the last little while, but it shows it's ugly head when the offense doesn't perform - our defensive systems is absolute trash and there's obvious holes in the lineup that still haven't been addressed since game 1.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It's been hidden the last little while, but it shows it's ugly head when the offense doesn't perform - our defensive systems is absolute trash and there's obvious holes in the lineup that still haven't been addressed since game 1.

It may sound Corney, but all the Knox our defense get are deserved. They play in a Fogg most of the time, and just make me want to Hurl. :D

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Ticats' offensive system really exposed the fact that our MLB is soft as marshmallow, for one thing. Also, Loffler hits big, but he really doesn't provide any coverage.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
The loss is completely Richie Hall's problem and Mike O'Shea's lack of organizational skills to make sure a team is prepared to be ready for all opponents. O'Shea, similar to Maurice is too blame to not make assistant and organizational changes when necessary.

And it must be a Winnipeg thing that it's a defensive issue.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
When the opposing QB goes 27/33, the other team racks up 146 yds rushing and has the ball for 38+ minutes, reffing is not the problem.

Agreed, I will not use reffing as a crutch, plain and simple when Nichols went out of the game it was all but over, Harris was under used, our d line couldn't get Masoli down and couldn't contain and and our db's including Randle got abused. One more thing find a receiver that can run proper routes and fight for the ball, Lankford needs his plane ticket out of here.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The missed holds on that play were egregious, no question. Okpalaugo beat his block clean off the snap and got absolutely mugged.

Call made on the two point convert was correct. It's an obscure CFL rule, but you can't advance a ball that's been batted forward (ie. an offside pass). Different story if it's a kicked ball.

I thought the ruling on Nichols' first fumble was bad at first, but really it was a 50/50 kind of call. Not enough evidence on the replay to overturn. Have no idea why O'Shea didn't throw a challenge flag for roughing the passer, likely would've won it.

Like most people are saying, refs were hardly the deciding factor. Hamilton played desperate football, Bombers started slow and looked deflated after the first two drives fizzled with Davis at QB.

The Nichols fumble should have had a roughing the passer called. It was a hit to the head.

To me, it looked like the D stayed at home. Offense was okay and then Davis came in. Yikes. Give Harris the ball more.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't think anyone here is saying the refs cost the Bombers the game. They certainly didn't help, as Holden mentioned, they were pretty much responsible for a 15 point spread. But take away that spread and I think the Bombers still lose. They played like garbage.

I do think it's asinine to say that the refs have never decided a game. They definitely did NOT decide this game, but I think if we think hard enough we can come up with a game that the refs pretty much decided.

The defense (especially the secondary) once again got picked apart. The offense couldn't keep up and the coaching staff failed to make any adjustments.

When a QB as terrible as Masoli performed the way he did against our D, then you know there's some problems there.

Hope Nichols is alright, and I believe he is. It appeared the Bombers had no interest in playing this game so they just took him out before he got seriously hurt in a game that was as already lost.

This better not happen again. If it does than I'd say we're pretenders for yet another year.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The Ticats' offensive system really exposed the fact that our MLB is soft as marshmallow, for one thing. Also, Loffler hits big, but he really doesn't provide any coverage.
Hurl is amazingly bad. I don’t know how O’Shea can stand it.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I do think it's asinine to say that the refs have never decided a game. They definitely did NOT decide this game, but I think if we think hard enough we can come up with a game that the refs pretty much decided.

I think the best you can hope for is to bring up those rare games where a blown call on a critical play results in an undeserved change of fortune. I would argue that no game is won or lost on one play. Outcomes are arrived at by what happens on every play throughout the 60 minutes. You don't lose on a bad call, or a last second field goal, or a pick 6. You lose because through 60 minutes, you left yourself in a position where those plays mattered.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
I think the best you can hope for is to bring up those rare games where a blown call on a critical play results in an undeserved change of fortune. I would argue that no game is won or lost on one play. Outcomes are arrived at by what happens on every play throughout the 60 minutes. You don't lose on a bad call, or a last second field goal, or a pick 6. You lose because through 60 minutes, you left yourself in a position where those plays mattered.
You are not going to win every game comfortably. Sometimes it does come down to a call or series of bad calls that cost you the game. The other team has a say in the relative score for sure but there are lots of games where a series of bad calls can decide the result. The coaches challenge IMO while it was abused in the past did serve a purpose. I believe that if you challenge and then win your challenge you should then retain your challenge privilege. Too many blown calls in this league.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It's not that the Riders lost, it the way they lost that put a big old smile:D on my face.

You can lose battles but still win the war. Be interesting to see how the playoff match ups shake out. I'm still hoping for a Riders-Bombers semi at IGF.

$_35.JPG

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
4 cups in a mostly 8-9 team league in over 100 years. You know we may the current drought but at least bomber fans rest assured the will be never be the most inept franchise.

It'll be interesting to see who visits the peg for West semi (not only would bombers have to collapse nearly every other game would have to go a specific way for bombers not to host a playoff game). Probably still sask as end despite win v mtl is in free fall and has tough schedule. As long Glenn starts I'm confident in Bombers. If they go to Bridge it'll be a tight game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad