Blockbuster trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Any favorites over the years?

There are still lots of trades in the NHL but not many that I would call 'blockbusters'.

One trade from the early '60's I was looking at was this one...

The Habs traded Donnie Marshall, Phil Goyette and Jacques Plante to the Rangers in exchange for Dave Balon, Leon Rochefort, Len Ronson and Gump Worsley, June 4th, 1963.

Two of the top 6 goalers in the league as well as some other interesting names. It worked out well for the Habs. Plante retired after two years before later making a strong comeback.

One thing that I did not remember about Plante...He won the starting goaler spot with the expansion Oakland Seals but could not come to contract terms and never played for them that year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was on this day in 1992 that the Flyers traded for Eric Lindros

On this date in 1992, the Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, first round picks in the 1993 and 1994 NHL Entry Drafts and $15 million to the Quebec Nordiques in exchange for the rights to center Eric Lindros just prior to the NHL Entry Draft.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
To Toronto:

Gilmour/McCoun/Nattress/Wamsley/Manderville

for

To Calgary:

Leeman/Petit/Ing/Kodynyk/Berube

I hope I got all the players right. Does this one count as a blockbuster?

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
To Toronto:

for

To Calgary:

A ten player trade, I would call a blockbuster for sure.

That looks heavily weighted in the Leafs favour. The Flames seemed to disassemble their Cup team within a few years. Alot of talented players played in Calgary in the late 1980's.

Gary Leeman's career seem to down hill after his 50 goal season.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
-- March 4th 1991
Hartford Whalers trade C Ron Francis, LD Ulf Samuelsson, and LD Grant Jennings to Pittsburgh Penguins for C John Cullen, LD Zarley Zalapski, and RW Jeff Parker

-- January 17th 1999
Vancouver Canucks trade RW Pavel Bure, LD Bret Hedican, RD Brad Ference, and VAN's 2000 3rd rd pick (#77, RW Robert Fried) to Florida Panthers for RD Ed Jovanovski, C Dave Gagner, G Kevin Weekes, LW Mike Brown, and FLA's 2000 1st rd pick (#23, C Nathan Smith)

acr*

November 7th, 1975-
To New York:
C Phil Esposito
D Carol Vadnais

To Boston:
C Jean Ratelle
D Brad Park
D Joe Zanussi

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
One from the late '60's...

Toronto traded Frank Mahovlich to Detroit with Pete Stemkowski, Garry Unger and the rights to Carl Brewer for Norm Ullman, Paul Henderson, Floyd Smith and Doug Barrie, March 3, 1968.

Ullman, Henderson and Smith were an entire line...and a good one. The Big M didn't stay too long with the Wings but he did score 49 goals with them one year (his best).

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
John LeClair, Gilbert Dionne and Eric Desjardins for Mark Recchi

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
On of my favs is-

To New Jersey-Jeff Friesen, Oleg Tverdovsky, Maxim Balmochynk

To Anaheim-Petr Sykora, Mike Commodore, J-F Damphousse, Igor Pohanka

Combined with the Ozolinsh and Niedermayer trades, we upgraded off every guy we traded in those three.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Feb 19, 92 - Philadelphia Flyers traded Kjell Samuelsson, Rick Tocchet, Ken Wregget and 3rd round selection (Dave Roche) in 1993 to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Mark Recchi, Brian Benning and 1st round selection (previously acquired from the Los Angeles Kings - Jason Bowen).

A good deal both ways but especially for the Pens short term. Recchi played well in his two stints with the Flyers and netted them Leclair and Desjardins in the deal with the Habs. Samuelsson, Tocchet and Wregget helped the Pens win alot of games and a cup.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
To Toronto:

for

To Calgary:

Close but I'm pretty sure Jeff Reese was the goalie the Leafs sent over- not Peter Ing.

And yes that's definitely a blockbuster. It was the biggest trade in NHL history at the time (10 players) and I'm pretty certain that it still is.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leaf Army said:
Close but I'm pretty sure Jeff Reese was the goalie the Leafs sent over- not Peter Ing.

And yes that's definitely a blockbuster. It was the biggest trade in NHL history at the time (10 players) and I'm pretty certain that it still is.
Correct

02-Jan-92:

Toronto Maple Leafs traded Craig Berube, Alexander Godynyuk, Gary Leeman, Michel Petit and Jeff Reese to the Calgary Flames for Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress, Rick Wamsley and Kent Manderville.

The Eric Lindos trade involved 9 players & Cash

30-Jun-92:

Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Calgary trades Theoren Fleury and Chris Dingman to Colorado for Rene Corbet, Wade Belak, a player to be named later (Robyn Regehr) and a conditional draft pick (Jarret Stoll).

Calgary had the option of taking any Avs prospect except for Alex Tanguay (the decision came down to Regehr or Skoula). \

----

Colorado trades Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Jared Aulin a 2002 1st Round Draft Pick (Dave Steckel) and a 2003 1st Round Draft Pick (Brian Boyle) for Rob Blake and Steven Reinprecht. (i'm pretty sure I got this right).

I know the second first rounder (maybe both) were conditional on Blake re-signing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
28-Jun-94:

Toronto Maple Leafs traded Wendel Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson and 1st round selection (Jeffrey Kealty) in 1994 to the Quebec Nordiques for Mats Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner and 1st round selection, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994.

01-Mar-97:

Washington Capitals traded Jason Allison, Jim Carey, Anson Carter and 3rd round selection (Lee Goren) in 1997 to the Boston Bruins for Bill Ranford, Adam Oates and Rick Tocchet.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
One of the strangest in NHL history happened in 1975 ..

Marcel Dionne wasn't happy with the Detroit Red Wings, and in June 1975, was signed as a free agent by the Los Angeles Kings. In doing so, Marcel became the first NHL player to leave his team in such a way. But the NHL insisted that an equitable trade take place, so the Kings sent Terry Harper, Dan Maloney and a second round draft choice ( Reed Larson ) to Detroit for Dionne and Bart Crashley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad