Blockbuster Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
With the passing of Bud Poile - who was involved in a blockbuster trade in 1947, I am interested in noteworthy trades in NHL history. I have listed three below.

November 2, 1947, Maple Leafs & Blackhawks
To Toronto: Max Bentley and Cy Thomas
To Chicago: Bud Poile, Gus Bodnar, Gaye Stewart, Ernie Dickens and Bob Goldham.

August 9, 1988, Kings & Oilers
To Los Angeles: Wayne Gretzky, Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelynski
To Edmonton: Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, three 1st Round Selections and cash.

June 30, 1992, Flyers & Nordiques
To Quebec: Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st Round Selection in 1993, 1st Round Selection in 1994 and cash.
To Philadelphia: Eric Lindros.

Last edited:

se7en*

What about the trade between the Leafs and Flamers? I don't know the details, but it was alot of players.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Hootchie Cootchie said:
What about the trade between the Leafs and Flamers? I don't know the details, but it was alot of players.

Yup That was the trade that began the turn around of the Leafs organization.

To Calgary: Gary Leeman, Jeff Reese, Alex Godynyuk, Michel Petit,Craig Cerube

To Toronto: Doug Gilmour, Rick Wamsley. Kent Manderville, Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress

Thanks Cliff.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
To Chicago: Gilles Marotte, Pit Martin, Jack Morris
To Boston: Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge, Fred Stanfield

To Boston: Jean Ratelle, Brad Park
To NY Rangers: Phil Esposito, Carol Vadnais

To Los Angeles: Marcel Dionne, Bart Crashley
To Detroit: Dan Maloney, Terry Harper, 2nd rnd pick

Three-Way Trade with Pittsburgh, Philly and LA:
To Pittsburgh: Rick Tocchet, Kjell Samuelsson, Ken Wregget, Jeff Chycrun, LA 1st rnd pick
To Philadelphia: Mark Recchi, Brian Benning
To Los Angeles: Paul Coffey

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
David Puddy said:
August 9, 1988, Kings & Oilers
To Edmonton: Wayne Gretzky, Marty McSorley and Mike Krushelynski
To Los Angeles: Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, three 1st Round Selections and cash.

Not quite accurate :)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Here are some significant trades:

June 10, 1957 -- Johnny Bucyk and cash from Detroit to Boston for Terry Sawchuk.

July 23, 1957 -- Glenn Hall and Ted Lindsay traded from Detroit to Chicago for Johnny Wilson, Forbes Kennedy, Bill Preston and Hank Bessen.

June 4, 1963 -- Jacques Plante, Don Marhsall and Phil Goyette sent from Montreal to the NYR for Leon Rochefort, Dave Balon, Gump Worsley and Len Ronson.

March 3, 1968 -- Frank Mahovlich, Pete Stemkowski, Garry Unger, and the rights to Carl Brewer traded by Toronto to Detroit for Norm Ullman, Paul Henderson, Floyd Smith and Doug Barrie.

May 15, 1973 -- Rights to Bernie Parent traded by Toronto to Philadelphia along with the Leafs 1973 2nd round pick (Larry Goodenough) for Flyers 1973 1st rounder (Bob Neely) and future considerations (Doug Favell).

June 23, 1975 -- Marcel Dionne signed by LA Kings as a FA; The Kings, through the NHL, compensate Detroit by sending Terry Harper, Dan Maloney and the Kings 2nd round pick in 1976. Bart Crashley was sent to LA as part of the trade.

June 24, 1976 -- Not a trade but Bobby Orr signing with Chicago.

March 10, 1987 -- Marcel Dionne traded by the Kings to the NYR along with Jeff Crossman and LA's 3rd round choice in 1989 for Bobby Carpenter and Tom Laidlaw.

November 24, 1987 -- Pittsburgh gets Paul Coffey, Dave Hunter and Wayne Van Dorp from Edmonton for Craig Simpson, Dave Hannan, Moe Mantha and Chris Joseph.

August 9, 1988 -- Wayne Gretzky traded to LA Kings by Edmonton with Mike Krushelnyski and Marty McSorley for Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, LA Kings' 1st round choices in 1989 (later traded to New Jersey), 1991 (Martin Rucinsky) and 1993 (Nick Stajduhar) Entry Drafts and cash.

June 16, 1990 -- Dale Hawerchuk and a 1990 number 1 from Winnipeg to Buffalo for Phil Housely, Scott Arniel, Jeff parker and Buffalo's 1990 numner 1 (Keith Tkachuk).

June 29, 1990 -- Chris Chelios and a 1991 number 2 from Montreal to Chicago for Denis Savard.

May 30, 1991 -- 3-way trade between Philadelphia, Los Angeles and Edmonton: Jari Kurri, Dave Brown and Corey Foster traded by the Oilers to the Flyers for Scott Mellanby, Craig Fisher, and Craig Berube. Kurri then sent to the Kings by the Flyers with Jeff Chychrun for Steve Duchesne, Steve Kasper and LA's 4th in 1991.

October 4, 1991
-- Edmonton traded Mark Messier to the NYR for Bernie Nicholls, Steven Rice and Louie DeBrusk.

October 25, 1991
-- Buffalo gets Pat LaFontaine, Randy Hillier and Randy Wood from the NYI for Pierre Turgeon, Benoit Hogue, Uwe Krupp and Dave McLlwain.

January 2, 1992 -- Calgary sent Doug Gilmour, Ric Nattress, Jamie Macoun, Rick Wamsley and Kent Manderville to Toronto for Gary Leeman, Michel Petit, Craig Berube, Jeff Resse, and Alexander Godynyuk.

June 28, 1994 -- Toronto sends Wendel Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson and a 1994 1st rounder to Quebec for Mats Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner and a 1994 number 1.

February 5, 1995 -- Philadelphia gets John LeClair, Eric Desjardins and Gilbert Dionne from Montreal for Mark Recchi and the Flyers 3rd round pick in 1995.

August 31, 1995 -- Luc Robitaille and Ulf Samuelsson to the NYR from Pittsburgh for Petr Nedved and Sergei Zubov.

December 6, 1995 -- Patrick Roy traded by Montreal to Colorado with Mike Keane for Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky and Jocelyn Thibeault.

February 27, 1996 -- Wayne Gretzky traded to St. Louis by LA Kings for Craig Johnson, Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, St. Louis 5th round choice (Peter Hogan) in 1996 Entry Draft and 1st round choice (Matt Zultek) in 1997 Entry Draft.

October 9, 1996 -- Detroit gets Brendan Shanahan and Brian Glynn from Hartford for Keith Primeau, Paul Coffey and a 1997 number 1.

March 1, 1997 -- Bill Ranford, Adam Oates and Rick Tocchet traded by Boston to Washington for Jim Carey, Anson Carter, Jason Allison and Washington's 3rd in 1997.

January 17, 1999 -- Florida received Pavel Bure, Bret Hedican, Brad Ference and Vancouver's 3rd in 2000 from Vancouver for Dave Gagner, Ed Jovanovski, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes, and Florida's 1st in 2000.

March 6, 2000 -- Boston traded Ray Bourque and Dave Andreychuk to Colorado for Brian Rolstonm Martin Grenier, Sammy Pahlsson and New Jersey's 2000 1st round pick.

February 21, 2001 -- Colorado gets Rob Blake and Steven Reinprecht from the LAK for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, Colorado's 1st in 2001 and Colorado's 1st in 2003; Jared Aulin added to the trade and sent to LA on March 22.

June 23, 2001 -- Buffalo traded Dominik Hasek to Detroit for Vyacheslav Kozlov and Detroit's 1st in 2002.

July 11, 2001 -- Jaromir Jagr to Washington from Pittsburgh with Frantisek Kucera for Kris Beech, Michal Sivek, and Ross Lupaschuk.

August 20, 2001
-- Eric Lindros from Philadelphia to the NYR for Kim Johnsson, Jan Hlavac, Pavel Brendl and the NYR 3rd (Stefan Ruzicka) in 2003.

March 19, 2002 -- Jamie Langenbrunner and Joe Nieuwendyk sent to New Jersey from Dallas for Jason Arnott, Randy McKay and New Jersey's number 1 in 2002.

Last edited:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Herbie Verstinks said:
Not quite accurate :)
You didn't let me finish. Gretzky et al. went to Edmonton to pack their bags while the former Kings had to Los Angeles to pack their things for the move to Edmonton. It was summer. Thanks for pointing it out though. I have corrected it.

Also, here's another that I didn't include because it was only four players, but it is a good one that involved a future Hall of Famer. I have read that the Toronto fans protested the trade by picketed in front of Maple Leaf Gardens after learning of Lanny being delt.

December 29, 1979, Rockies & Maple Leafs
To Colorado: Lanny McDonald and Joel Quenneville
To Toronto: Wilf Paiement and Pat Hickey

MacDaddy TLC*

David Puddy said:
Also, here's another that I didn't include because it was only four players, but it is a good one that involved a future Hall of Famer. I have read that the Toronto fans protested the trade by picketed in front of Maple Leaf Gardens after learning of Lanny being delt.

December 29, 1979, Rockies & Maple Leafs
To Colorado: Lanny McDonald and Joel Quenneville
To Toronto: Wilf Paiement and Pat Hickey
A sign in the building on December 29th, 1979 (the day McDonald was traded): Punch is out to Lunch, but not at McDonalds

There was an anarchy in Toronto when the deal was made. The team was clearly Darryl Sittler's and Punch Imlach and Harold Ballard tore it apart to spite him. Sittler had a no trade clause and in Ballard's eyes, somehow went from being the Son he never had (slap in the face to Bill and Hal jr) to a cancer. Sittler removed the captain's C from his jersey and it was worn by Tiger Williams the game on December 29th, the night of the trade. The Leafs went out and pounded the Jets 6-1. It was the beginning of the end though for Sittler. Slowly all his buds on the Leafs were traded away until he gave them a list of 2-3 teams that they could trade him to in 1982. By the end, the Leafs went from a team on the cusp of cup contender (they just needed some 2nd line scoring and a d-man to complement Salming and Turnbull) to league's laughing stock.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Sept. 9, 1982 - Rod Langway, Doug Jarvis, Craig Laughlin and Brian Engblom from Montreal to Washington for Ryan Walter and Rick Green.

Green and Walter won a Cup in Montreal, but Washington went from a team that had never made the playoffs, to a team that didn't miss them again until several years after Langway retired.

KOVALEV10*

Even though many people might not even consider this and even though its not really a trade... Guy Lafleur confirming his return to the game after a 4 year absense and signing with the Rangers. Then a year later getting traded to the Quebec Nordiques who was the rival and the ennemy of his former team Montreal Canadiens. Apart from Peter Stastny, that's the only guy I cheered for playin with Quebec. If anybody has the trade info I would really appreciate it if it indeed was a trade. (Rangers-Nordiques)

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
Ziggy Stardust said:
To Chicago: Gilles Marotte, Pit Martin, Jack Morris
To Boston: Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge, Fred Stanfield

out of topics, but when you talk about biggest steals in league history, this one gets my vote...

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Ryderama said:
out of topics, but when you talk about biggest steals in league history, this one gets my vote...

correct me if I'm wrong, but Esposito wasn't a star till he came to Boston, so I don't see how that deal is the biggest deal in history..

to me the biggest deal is the Lindros trade to Philadelphia.. there was just so much talent involved.. that trade made Colorado into cup contenders

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:
Even though many people might not even consider this and even though its not really a trade... Guy Lafleur confirming his return to the game after a 4 year absense and signing with the Rangers. Then a year later getting traded to the Quebec Nordiques who was the rival and the ennemy of his former team Montreal Canadiens. Apart from Peter Stastny, that's the only guy I cheered for playin with Quebec. If anybody has the trade info I would really appreciate it if it indeed was a trade. (Rangers-Nordiques)
Lafleur signed as a FA, Quebec received a 5th rd pick, Zubov, in compensation.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but Esposito wasn't a star till he came to Boston, so I don't see how that deal is the biggest deal in history..

to me the biggest deal is the Lindros trade to Philadelphia.. there was just so much talent involved.. that trade made Colorado into cup contenders
He said steals, not deals, but yes he was star, not a superstar, but a star. He was 7th in league scoring his last year in Chicago, and was 17th and 11th the two years before that.

acr*

I think Espo was one of those guys with all the talent in the world and could've been a 50-goal scorer in Chicago, but didn't put it all together until he was traded, and the Hawks have to regret it.

Trading for Esposito and Hodge won the Bruins 2 cups, then trading them to the Rangers for Brad Park+Jean Ratelle and Rick Middleton respectively nearly won them another(damn too many men penalty...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->