Rumor: Blashphemy Thread: Rumors from Twitter-Banned Jeff Moss

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
I think anyone watching body language and listening to interviews could garner that Z & Blash may not see eye to eye on everything - even beyond that there is a clear stylistic clash in terms of play style preferences. Its also hardly surprising that a roster with 3 clear different age ranges with very different experiences of success and coaching etc that is currently at its lowest ebb success wise in nearly 30 years isn't going to be all roses and smiles.

Someone is only 'awesome for rumours' (forgive my UK spelling), when they have more to offer than endlessly unproveable ITK nonsense. The fact that a) his Wings stories often end up bashing the same people and b) they never have evidence beyond Chinese whispers & c) the vast majority of content on his website is bile filled attack pieces on one person or another should be a fairly major warning with anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together.

And while I may not have 'sources' with the wings, I do from time to time get paid to write about sport, as well as blogging and hosting and producing a sports podcast with a significant listener base, occasionally get to interview sports people, coaches and have a CEO lined up, and will soon be filling a weekly radio slot on a significant station. So I know a fair bit about both journalistic standards, sports reporting, rumour mills and how ITK's work. And while this guy may have picked up on the odd vague snippet, the same as many posters on here, he takes that and then turns it into something utterly disreputable, likely dishonest and totally lacking in credibility.

The kind of sources he claims to have, are the kind that get fired if things like this were true and made the public arena. There is no way that someone with genuine access to this information would tell someone they knew was going to put the most juicy bits on the internet unless they wanted to get fired.

His entire Zetterberg is an ******* premise hangs on "So, if the team were alternating each year...", which is of course not the case and has never been the case in team history, before suggesting the the team captain deliberately blocked a tradition (which turns out to be a non-tradition) in order to snub a team-mate's dying mother so he can have one more drink on the road with his dad, with whom he has enjoyed the pleasure many times, and likely will next year at the very least. To ramp it up we are shown a heart-wrenching picture of a player's mother - who is Zetterberg's mother, who he brought along a couple of years ago.

Quite apart from that, if anyone is actually stupid enough to believe this story in the way it is presented, they would also have to believe that our captain is the most powerful person in the organisation and a total S.O.B - do you honestly think for a second that the people running the show, from owner, to president to GM to coaches to the players would let the captain refuse to let the dying mother of one of his team-mates take part in a major team activity simply because he wants his father to have one last jolly before he retires (despite having told anyone willing to listen that he doesn't want to retire & the fact that he is still possibly the top line centre and playing at a high level)? And then decide he didn't actually want to see his Dad after all? Were this true not on only would it be the biggest PR disaster the club has had since Mr I took over, but also it would represent a total breakdown in morality from every influential figure in the organisation, one which despite recent on ice struggles, has deservedly garnered a reputation for being incredibly loyal, acting with a general degree of class, prioritising family and family relationships above all else, looking after its players and endlessly embracing gestures to players, their families and to the families of ex-players.

To be totally unambiguous, this is poisonous story based at best on massive conjecture around Chinese whispers, filtered through personal emnity, written by a bad amateur hack (who incidentally sounds even more nuts on his podcast) whose site is mostly populated with personal attacks. He has no interest in balanced honest reporting, and barely pretends to be either.

Glad you took the time to contribute this. Well done.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He is the equal and opposite reaction to 20 years of toothless, gutless beat reporting.
1) Last I checked, it's entirely possible to take a franchise to task in the media while retaining some semblance of ethics and accountability.

2) 20 years? Really? I'm sure there were all sorts of hard hitting editorials that the Detroit media neglected while the Wings were en route to back-to-back Cups, after ending a 4 decade drought of championships.

Yes, coverage in this market is toward the softball end of the spectrum, for sure. But there's been a noticeable improvement during the last year or so, and even if there hadn't been, Jeff Moss is definitely not "the answer" to that problem. Real sports journalism is.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
1) Last I checked, it's entirely possible to take a franchise to task in the media while retaining some semblance of ethics and accountability.

2) 20 years? Really? I'm sure there were all sorts of hard hitting editorials that the Detroit media neglected while the Wings were en route to back-to-back Cups, after ending a 4 decade drought of championships.

Yes, coverage in this market is toward the softball end of the spectrum, for sure. But there's been a noticeable improvement during the last year or so, and even if there hadn't been, Jeff Moss is definitely not "the answer" to that problem. Real sports journalism is.

Moss definitely is the answer.
Not a good one. But it's an answer. That's all he does is attack the media.

We're not getting real sports journalism from The Athletic, either.
Custance hinted he had balls early on.

Not anymore.

At the end of the day, these sports franchises have their own PR staff filled with ex-reporters. The only way independent reporters will remain viable is to offer intelligent, critical coverage.

As you've seen, Mlive has scaled back their coverage and no longer travel with the Wings on the road.
The Detroit News no longer travels with the Wings on the road.
The Freep still does.
The Athletic - I'm not even sure they go to games.

Daily independent sports journalism is dying.
Ask yourself this - if NHL.com and the Red Wings are giving you the stats, the highlights, the stories.... what's left for the Freep to do?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Moss definitely is the answer.
Not a good one. But it's an answer. That's all he does is attack the media.

We're not getting real sports journalism from The Athletic, either.
Custance hinted he had balls early on.

Not anymore.

You can only tow the line so much before you get your credentials stripped and isolated. IMO Custance does a good job of respectfully questioning the team, and he at least gets some answers. Before that, no one was even doing it at all.

Moss is way too far the other end of the spectrum. He's well past "critical". Plus he can't even stick to talking about business or hockey moves, he has to twist in some baseless personal storylines and controversies into everything.

Edit - nvm on the article

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You can only tow the line so much before you get your credentials stripped and isolated. IMO Custance does a good job of respectfully questioning the team, and he at least gets some answers. Before that, no one was even doing it at all.

Moss is way too far the other end of the spectrum. He's well past "critical". Plus he can't even stick to talking about business or hockey moves, he has to twist in some baseless personal storylines and controversies into everything.

I agree on Moss being way over the line as a serious journalist. But as the blogger who reports water cooler rumors, he's got a good niche.

Meanwhile, Custance has backed off big time.
As the team started well, he lightened up on Blashill and Holland. And now that the team has sunk, he's still being light on the team.

At some point, a guy like him trades independence for access.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Slightly different circumstances, but look at what happened between 97.1/Velenti and the Lions. Because Velenti was so harsh on the Lions managment, they demanded he be fired or they leave the station......they ended up leaving the station.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
moss is not the answer to anything. on the contrary he makes the anti wings management crowd look really bad.

You have to choose your spots. Writing a hit piece on zetteberg about somehow not allowing moms to travel with the team accomplishes nothing other than making yourself look like an attention seeking moron

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Meanwhile, Custance has backed off big time.
As the team started well, he lightened up on Blashill and Holland. And now that the team has sunk, he's still being light on the team.

At some point, a guy like him trades independence for access.

Yeah, I do agree. Their content the first few months they launched was simply just much better than what it is now. Although, I guess maybe there are more storylines in the off-season?

When you lose access you are kind of screwed, IMO. At that point you have to resort to rumormongering, like Moss.

Slightly different circumstances, but look at what happened between 97.1/Velenti and the Lions. Because Velenti was so harsh on the Lions managment, they demanded he be fired or they leave the station......they ended up leaving the station.

Right, the teams hold a lot of leverage in the equation.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah, I do agree. Their content the first few months they launched was simply just much better than what it is now. Although, I guess maybe there are more storylines in the off-season?

When you lose access you are kind of screwed, IMO. At that point you have to resort to rumormongering, like Moss.

Right, the teams hold a lot of leverage in the equation.

Moss is scratching the surface on a big story in the Wings dressing room. There are deep divisions.
Mrazek being traded vs Howard is a sign of which way the club is going.

Green should be gone. But based on Mrazek being traded, I think Tatar will be the other guy moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad