<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
2 things..

1) Every single gym has a dress code that includes not wearing jeans or sandals. It should be followed.

2) I'm with Randy. Don't wear jeans or sandals in the gym. Especially sandals while you are lifting around so many weights. That's so dangerous and stupid.

Wear gym attire. That's not too difficult.

Sandals I agree with because that's a safety hazard. Wearing them around equipment in general is pretty asinine, wearing them around free weights is just plain stupid.

Jeans? I don't see the issue. I'd 10x rather see a guy wearing jeans then these guys wearing compression pants that almost completely show their junk. Not going to lie, I'm not aware of a dress code at my gym. It's gold's so I'm sure there is one, but if they ban jeans over some of these other types of attire guys wear, well quite frankly; that's beyond stupid. Who cares what someone is wearing as long as it's covering what needs to be covered, and isn't causing any other issues? The gym is a place that people go to try and improve themselves. Why critique them because they prefer jeans over sweats? seems petty to me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
29.99 a month gets you a solid gym in Pittsburgh. Crossfit/other type all-in memberships are about $115 a month. My tennis + gym is $120 a month (winter only). My sports training is $89.99 a month (unlimited). Regular gym is $29.99 a month.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
29.99 a month gets you a solid gym in Pittsburgh. Crossfit/other type all-in memberships are about $115 a month. My tennis + gym is $120 a month (winter only). My sports training is $89.99 a month (unlimited). Regular gym is $29.99 a month.

Expensive back where you live. Damn. 115 a month ? ****.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Damn that's all cheap. Here in Chicago a relatively standard gym is about $55-65/month, and a Cross**** gym is in the area of $175-225 depending on the place. That's why I rant on Crossfitters in my gym so much...none of them want to pay the price to do the fad but they all want to take up squat racks/platforms at a standard gym for half an hour while they run all around the gym.

I've personally got two memberships, my gym for actual lifting...$58/month on the "non-peak hours" membership (can't enter the gym Mon-Thurs between 4 and 8PM) and a membership at the Sears Tower gym for $120/year (only for some cardio after work a couple times a week).

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Expensive back where you live. Damn. 115 a month ? ****.

Indoor tennis courts are pricey in the winter. No dodging it, no matter where. But typically crossfit/athletic classes/yoga studios/orangetheory/barr/etc. are all priced from $90-$180 a month. I would say that's standard across this area. I think our gym rate at 29.99 per month for a full gym (huge) + bball courts + pool + spa + etc. is cheap. Typically those run you $60 in any other city.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anothet thing I absolutely hate is the fact that i cant drop the weight and my descent has to be 100% controlled on DLs. Im a powerlifter and I seriously feel its hinderinh my progress.

That and I cant lift barefoot... Jesus leave me alone.

My gym also has all these fancy balls and kettlebell yet no one uses them.

They also removed the fatbar they bought...

Get me some platforms ffs.

I cant see the real damage of bumper plates and heavy duty mats when I drop the weights.

(When I mean drop, i mean controlled but not much muscle resistance, not flat our open hands from the top of the rep.)

Also the stupid ****ing no chalk rule

Yes I just did deadlifts :laugh:

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Anothet thing I absolutely hate is the fact that i cant drop the weight and my descent has to be 100% controlled on DLs. Im a powerlifter and I seriously feel its hinderinh my progress.

That and I cant lift barefoot... Jesus leave me alone.

My gym also has all these fancy balls and kettlebell yet no one uses them.

They also removed the fatbar they bought...

Get me some platforms ffs.

I cant see the real damage of bumper plates and heavy duty mats when I drop the weights.

(When I mean drop, i mean controlled but not much muscle resistance, not flat our open hands from the top of the rep.)

Also the stupid ****ing no chalk rule

Yes I just did deadlifts :laugh:
Yeah, it bugs me when staff at the gym I go to get all whiny about people making too much noise while deadlifting. A guy was pulling 6 plates and wasn't even dropping at all, completely controlled descent, but obviously the plates make noise when they hit the ground. They told him that if he couldn't keep it quieter he was going to have to stop. And they are supposed to be a "powerlifting friendly" gym.

At least they do allow chalk though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, it bugs me when staff at the gym I go to get all whiny about people making too much noise while deadlifting. A guy was pulling 6 plates and wasn't even dropping at all, completely controlled descent, but obviously the plates make noise when they hit the ground. They told him that if he couldn't keep it quieter he was going to have to stop. And they are supposed to be a "powerlifting friendly" gym.

At least they do allow chalk though.

I routinely deadlift above 4 plates, i mean at some point, the stress of holding back this kind of weight is gonna injure me. I might sue :laugh:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Sandals I agree with because that's a safety hazard. Wearing them around equipment in general is pretty asinine, wearing them around free weights is just plain stupid.

Jeans? I don't see the issue. I'd 10x rather see a guy wearing jeans then these guys wearing compression pants that almost completely show their junk. Not going to lie, I'm not aware of a dress code at my gym. It's gold's so I'm sure there is one, but if they ban jeans over some of these other types of attire guys wear, well quite frankly; that's beyond stupid. Who cares what someone is wearing as long as it's covering what needs to be covered, and isn't causing any other issues? The gym is a place that people go to try and improve themselves. Why critique them because they prefer jeans over sweats? seems petty to me.

Wouldn't jeans be more likely to wear the benches down quicker, and poke a hole in them?

Sandals.... meh, don't care as long as their feet don't reek, doesn't really impact me one way or another other than if they smell. I'm sure any given time you go to the gym you can find someone wearing something even dumber looking than sandals. :laugh:

Cracks me up seeing guys wear compression pants, just to do an all upper body routine. :laugh:

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I wanna thank the very attractive 20 something woman wearing what looked like spray painted yoga pants for doing her entire stretching, and bending over many times, routine two feet away from my incline bench. Now the whole gym probably thinks I'm some kind of pervert.

What the hell am I supposed to do, not look?

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wanna thank the very attractive 20 something woman wearing what looked like spray painted yoga pant for doing her entire stretching, and bending over many times, routine two feet away from my incline bench. Now the whole gym probably thinks I'm some kind of pervert.

Enjoy

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Wouldn't jeans be more likely to wear the benches down quicker, and poke a hole in them?

Sandals.... meh, don't care as long as their feet don't reek, doesn't really impact me one way or another other than if they smell. I'm sure any given time you go to the gym you can find someone wearing something even dumber looking than sandals. :laugh:

Cracks me up seeing guys wear compression pants, just to do an all upper body routine. :laugh:

I honestly can't see jeans causing much of an issue on a bench personally.

Someone wearing sandals doesn't bother me either, but I completely understand why someone who owns/runs the gym wouldn't want people to not have any type of protected covering over their feet.

agreed about the compression pants. Like I said earlier, I don't really care what someone is wearing as long as everything is covered or not causing some other issue. However, I don't understand the appeal for those compression pants at all. To each their own I guess.

I wanna thank the very attractive 20 something woman wearing what looked like spray painted yoga pants for doing her entire stretching, and bending over many times, routine two feet away from my incline bench. Now the whole gym probably thinks I'm some kind of pervert.

There is one ridiculously hot woman that goes to my gym around the same time I do during the week (lunch time). Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of attractive women there, but this is one of those women who walks in and everyone just stops.

Anyway, I love it when she comes in. Obviously she's nice to look at, but my favorite thing is that every dude there starts slowly making their way to whatever part of the gym she's at. I figured out her schedule a few months ago, and tweaked mine a bit to do the opposite of hers. Amazing how much equipment around me is freed up now. :D

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
Saw a new one today that really got to me....
Step-ups on the seat of the Lat Pulldown machine. I mean 1. How did they not hit their head on the hanging bar? 2. The boxes meant to be used for step-ups/jumps were sitting unused a mere 5 ft away!!

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I hate wannabe powerlifters who take 15m between sets with weights I use to warm up. If you're benching less than 3 plates you don't need wrist wraps, and you certainly don't need belt, knee sleeves and who knows what else for your 245lb squat. These guys spend ages warming up and getting loose.

If you're legitimately a beast. Do whatever you want but if you're a beginner stop pretending to be Dan Green.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
lol reading this thread makes me even more grateful that I have my own 'gym' at home! I don't have to deal with all of this bs when I work out at home. I can also work out whenever I want, crank up the music as loud as I want, etc. I have all the equipment that I need and then I do yoga online with a yoga site I really like and it's only $9.95 a month to be a member of that yoga site.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I hate wannabe powerlifters who take 15m between sets with weights I use to warm up. If you're benching less than 3 plates you don't need wrist wraps, and you certainly don't need belt, knee sleeves and who knows what else for your 245lb squat. These guys spend ages warming up and getting loose.

If you're legitimately a beast. Do whatever you want but if you're a beginner stop pretending to be Dan Green.
Seriously? You're complaining about the accessories that other people use to assist in their lifts? And since when is anything below 3 plate bench a beginner? Complain about taking too long between sets sure, but the rest of your comment is just you being a jackass.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I disagree. Completely disagree. I'll give you the time between sets. Blows my mind. I hate when people use that much time unless they know there are other benches/racks available.

However... your comment about knee sleeves/wrist wraps/belts... you are insanely wrong. Some people have weaker wrists or knees and they want to feel support to feel confident on their lift. To some people 135 is their big lift. Oh well. Good for them. They are trying. If that's what they can pound 5 for, who cares if me and you can do way more. As long as their form is good, not for me to judge. It's not about what I can do. It's not about what you can do. It's about their journey through weightlifting and how they are working hard to improve their strength. I remember when I was 16 and hit 135 for 2 on bench. That was the beginning of my journey.

Your mentality is what drives people away from the gym. You don't accept those who are beginning their journey. That's sad. I see it so often in the gym. I'm with you on those who are disrespectful in terms of time at one station, but cannot disagree with you more regarding your thoughts on accessories.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I disagree. Completely disagree. I'll give you the time between sets. Blows my mind. I hate when people use that much time unless they know there are other benches/racks available.

However... your comment about knee sleeves/wrist wraps/belts... you are insanely wrong. Some people have weaker wrists or knees and they want to feel support to feel confident on their lift. To some people 135 is their big lift. Oh well. Good for them. They are trying. If that's what they can pound 5 for, who cares if me and you can do way more. As long as their form is good, not for me to judge. It's not about what I can do. It's not about what you can do. It's about their journey through weightlifting and how they are working hard to improve their strength. I remember when I was 16 and hit 135 for 2 on bench. That was the beginning of my journey.

Your mentality is what drives people away from the gym. You don't accept those who are beginning their journey. That's sad. I see it so often in the gym. I'm with you on those who are disrespectful in terms of time at one station, but cannot disagree with you more regarding your thoughts on accessories.
No I have tons of respect for people who are just starting out. I genuinely help them when they ask.

I wouldn't expect most to quite get it, and it's not exactly something that eats at me but it's just a minor annoyance seeing these guys with 200$ in gear and a $0.10 squat. It feels more "trendy" than anything to me. Then theres a correlation between what I deem as "trendy" powerlifters and taking about an hour in the squat rack. I'm sorry but if you're squatting less than 500 (realistically way higher than that) than it shouldn't take an hour to warm up. Most of these kids are no older than 20. Walk up to rack. Start squatting. Add weight progressively until you hit your working sets. Boom. You're warm.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Whatever motivates a human being is up to them. It's not up to you. Sometimes people like to get dressed up to go to the gym w/ new lulu tights, tank, etc. That gets them to the gym. I don't judge. If it motivates them, so be it. Some people need to spend money on lifting shoes/straps/gloves because they look at it every day and it makes them remember to go to the gym. So be it. I don't need that stuff, but I am happy when I see people keep coming back and focus on a healthier lifestyle.

I don't care if people are lifting 10 lbs or 500. If someone is focusing on their better lifestyle and their form is good, it's nothing but positive.

Now your argument on time - I agree. I find it rude. I'm always trying to be aware if I take the last squat rack and if I have the last bench or rack, I speed up my time inbetween sets. If nobody is in the gym, then I take a little longer because I know there are open racks or benches.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Wow I think I paid less for a bench, curl bar, free weights, dumbbells, pull-up bar, mats, etc than what some of you pay per month. Also I never have to wait for anything :)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Loved waiting over 5 minutes for some guy to finally get going on a bench tonight before he did some awesome 1/4 reps...

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wow I think I paid less for a bench, curl bar, free weights, dumbbells, pull-up bar, mats, etc than what some of you pay per month. Also I never have to wait for anything :)
Unless you have cheap stuff, weight lifting equipment is a joke. Good quality stuff is expensive. Especially proper bars/benches/etc. I have found some things that are quality and affordable, but let me know if you have any specific recommendations on good quality affordable stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->