<Blank> makes you mad at the gym (or working out at home)

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
A healthy life isn't a competition among others! Just make yourself better each day and people will say the same about you.

The rational part of me agrees with you.

The part of me that struggles with self-esteem says "easy for you to say." lol

To be fair, my post was mostly in jest. I work out for me so I can feel better. BUT, at times, it is certainly frustrating to see other people WAY outlift me. Its frustrating.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When guys leer at the women like its a meat market, simply disrespectful. I feel like smacking them in the back of the head every time, which is one of many reasons why I work out at home.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
When guys leer at the women like its a meat market, simply disrespectful. I feel like smacking them in the back of the head every time, which is one of many reasons why I work out at home.

SImply because of ^^, I keep my head down and headphones on at the gym. I'm aware of my surroundings, but I try to make sure to keep my head down. My friend, who is a female, literally hit me the other day because I accidentally walked right by without even seeing her.

The reason I do it is because I cannot stand the ****ing clowns who just stare at women like they are meat. Bothers me so much.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
SImply because of ^^, I keep my head down and headphones on at the gym. I'm aware of my surroundings, but I try to make sure to keep my head down. My friend, who is a female, literally hit me the other day because I accidentally walked right by without even seeing her.

The reason I do it is because I cannot stand the ****ing clowns who just stare at women like they are meat. Bothers me so much.

While I would never stare at a woman at a gym like that because I feel similar to it than you do, I don't even remotely feel bad for the ones who are pushing their cleavage out there just asking guys to look.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
The rational part of me agrees with you.

The part of me that struggles with self-esteem says "easy for you to say." lol

To be fair, my post was mostly in jest. I work out for me so I can feel better. BUT, at times, it is certainly frustrating to see other people WAY outlift me. Its frustrating.

There will always be someone stronger, better, faster, etc no matter what you do.

With lifting, the best way to think is to count progress. Where did you come from? Say you have a 225lb bench, which some might laugh at, but a year ago you could barely do 135 and a few months ago you were barely able to do 200 cleanly. Many folks in the gym remain stagnant FOREVER and never get anywhere. Likely is the chance that they were relatively strong from the get-go, and never really, truly, earned much in the way of gains.

I've seen that everywhere, you see the guys that look like slugs putting up great numbers, but 3 years later they're still looking and lifting the same. Meanwhile, the "weak" guys who are actually lifting to progress, who have happily enjoyed small but linear gains over time, are catching up to him.

Same goes for guys who lift for size or being lean. One might look good but never get better, while the new guy actually changes his body composition over time and for good. Too many people are proud of basically the way they are naturally and erroneously account that toward their own success. There's a reason most people at any gym will look relatively the same as they always have.

DO NOT let that bug you aside from using it as motivation for yourself.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
There will always be someone stronger, better, faster, etc no matter what you do.

With lifting, the best way to think is to count progress. Where did you come from? Say you have a 225lb bench, which some might laugh at, but a year ago you could barely do 135 and a few months ago you were barely able to do 200 cleanly. Many folks in the gym remain stagnant FOREVER and never get anywhere. Likely is the chance that they were relatively strong from the get-go, and never really, truly, earned much in the way of gains.

I've seen that everywhere, you see the guys that look like slugs putting up great numbers, but 3 years later they're still looking and lifting the same. Meanwhile, the "weak" guys who are actually lifting to progress, who have happily enjoyed small but linear gains over time, are catching up to him.

Same goes for guys who lift for size or being lean. One might look good but never get better, while the new guy actually changes his body composition over time and for good. Too many people are proud of basically the way they are naturally and erroneously account that toward their own success. There's a reason most people at any gym will look relatively the same as they always have.

DO NOT let that bug you aside from using it as motivation for yourself.
This is why I love the gym. It isn't what the guys around me are doing, its about what I did last week/ month and what I'm doing now. The others are always going to be stronger, I don't have the body type or experience to be out lifting anyone that has been doing it seriously, but I can out lift myself from a month ago. I'm a really competitive person, so having that mindset instead of looking at what everyone else is doing has been super motivational. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't still go, considering that most guys could lift what I'm doing now on their first day ever in the gym, and I've been working hard at it for almost 8 months.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
I go to the community centre gym, since it's cheaper and I get a family discount from my brother working there as a lifeguard. Two things that annoy me are:

1) People who socialize and have personal conversations WHILE on a machine in-between their sets. There are a lot of elderly folk since it's a community centre and I go early in the morning, but these folks talk about their kids, the weather, vacation plans, health, etc. Could be 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. I mean, I like the friendliness at the gym, but do this in the locker-room, on cardio machines, etc. Benches and machines are prime real estate.

2) People who finish and leave their weights on the machine or bar. It's disheartening and frustrating seeing elderly folk have to go and ask some of the younger people to help them remove some of the 45s off a machine or bar or leg press, just so they can use the equipment. It's not only against policy but is just also extremely inconsiderate and selfish.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
- Finding out that the battery is dead on my iPod when I start my workout;

- D-bags leaving multiple plates on machines/olympic bars. I can live with a single plate each side for deadlifts/squat /bench press but some idiots leave like plenty of 10 lbs each side as they are doing some kind of crazy pyramidal sets and don't clean their mess afterward;

- Same goes for leaving dumbells near a bench when you finish your sets;

- Not putting a towel on the machine/bench that you are using. It shows that you are here so nobody take your place if you do drink water and it prevent for putting your sweat all over the place. People working out without towels are also the same breed of people who are leaving mutiple 10 lbs plates as said earlier;

- Annoying impolite juicers with tiny stylish ultra deep kinda v-neck tank top who think the gym is theirs and same goes for instagram bee-yoth with butt implant dying for attention and monopolising the squat rack for fking ever;

- People getting pissed off when asked to share their machine/bench/rack when none is available;

- Those who leave their locker unlocked. This is insulting that you think I will not rob you. Big shoutout to the bro science dude who once said exactly that in one of his YouTube video. This is exactly how I feel about them.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
- Those who leave their locker unlocked. This is insulting that you think I will not rob you. Big shoutout to the bro science dude who once said exactly that in one of his YouTube video. This is exactly how I feel about them.

I don't understand this one. Do you rob unlocked lockers? But the other guy is the bad person?

No one locks the lockers where I go. Then again they are in the actual gym in plain sight of patrons and staff, and not in the changerooms.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
my gym has a board full of hooks where people leave their keys which absolutely baffles me. it's your standard Planet Fitness so most people aren't in sight of the board. it would take only seconds for me to choose a set of keys and not much longer to walk around the parking lot and figure out which car it is to have a free car if I wanted.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
my gym has a board full of hooks where people leave their keys which absolutely baffles me. it's your standard Planet Fitness so most people aren't in sight of the board. it would take only seconds for me to choose a set of keys and not much longer to walk around the parking lot and figure out which car it is to have a free car if I wanted.
Yeah, sure, "free" car. No way there are cameras monitoring the building or parking lot. And they don't have your name and address on file or anything. You should just give it a try sometime and report back how it goes.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
I don't understand this one. Do you rob unlocked lockers? But the other guy is the bad person?

No one locks the lockers where I go. Then again they are in the actual gym in plain sight of patrons and staff, and not in the changerooms.

Lockers are in the changeroom. Not even in the same floor. I ain't no thief but this is really how I am feeling toward this. Can't believe someone leave their wallet/keys for free like this.

They deserve to be robbed. **** them!

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
No one deserves to be robbed for trusting their neighbors. Unless your neighbor is Billy Mason.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
People who socialize in front of the water fountain.

People who do circuit training in a highly trafficked area.

People who use the only X in the gym to do an exercise they could easily do with one of the several Y's available. Like, bro, I want to do some pull-ups, could you stop doing dips up there?

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Whats up with the phenomena that some guys take 3 hours at the gym (everyday) to complete their program? If you can't get the results that you are looking for in an hour or less, IMO you are doing it wrong.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Whats up with the phenomena that some guys take 3 hours at the gym (everyday) to complete their program? If you can't get the results that you are looking for in an hour or less, IMO you are doing it wrong.
I'm in the gym 5 days a week for 1.5-2 hours, mostly because I need to take 5 minute breaks between my heavy compound sets. I also try to get in 30 minutes of cardio at home, so if I did that at the gym I'd be 2 to 2.5 hours. It really isn't that much of a stretch that other people would be doing more sets or more cardio so their program would have them there for 3 hours.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Lockers are in the changeroom. Not even in the same floor. I ain't no thief but this is really how I am feeling toward this. Can't believe someone leave their wallet/keys for free like this.

They deserve to be robbed. **** them!

Yeah, it's stupid. But I'm not sure why it makes YOU so angry. Doesn't really affect you whether they get robbed or not.

Blood On The Ice

Jul 17, 2007
Montreal
Yeah, it's stupid. But I'm not sure why it makes YOU so angry. Doesn't really affect you whether they get robbed or not.

Yeah it's not the end of the world obviously but it really pisses me off when the gym is full and the free lockers are hard to find. Like I open an unlocked locker and see stuff inside, then open another unlocked one and see stuff inside, and on and on.

It's the idiocarcy of them letting their stuff to be robbed mixed with my deception of finding a unlocked locker filled with clothes ans stuff.

With that beeing said, I am now going to this very gym for shoulders day with squat :yo:

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Yeah, sure, "free" car. No way there are cameras monitoring the building or parking lot. And they don't have your name and address on file or anything. You should just give it a try sometime and report back how it goes.

well, I'm not a thief so I have no reason to do it but let's face it, there are people out there that could take the car and cameras aren't going to help with this, take it to a nearby area and have it stripped before the owner even finished their workout. during busy hours just about anybody, member or not could walk in the gym if they wanted to.

Oct 18, 2011
Couples who work out together.

People who seem angry and get way to intense

Gym bros who think they're pro athletes

People who don't shut up about their pre workout, how their only eating turkey and kale, etc

My gym is really dbaggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->