Blake Wheeler < or > Ryan Getzalf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Potential wise...

Pit the American against the Canadian, both have been projected to eventually have solid second line potential. Both are big boys both will not develop that quickly per say, Blake is on the other hand a full year younger, Ryan on the other hand is enjoying the call ups and downs...

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
As a Yotes fan it's Getzlaf not even close. Of course I'm still holding out hope that big Blake will develop in time. At this point I'd be happy with him becoming 2nd line material even if it took 5 years to get there.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Agreed that Ryan does have a huge lead on Blake, but Wheeler has been progressing well and making the same strides as Getzalf. Then again theres not much chance to playing for the yotes next year anyways...

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
1) It is not ''Getzalf''

2)It is not even close...nor will it be any closer this time next year. Getzlaf by a healthy, almost embarassing lead.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Getzlaf by a fairly wide margin at this point in time. He was one of the best players at last year's WJC. (Likely one of the top five forwards, definitely in rthe top 10). Wheeler is roughly the same age as Getzlaf was last year, and at times I had to remind myself that Wheeler was out there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wheeler.

Just kidding.

Edit: To clarify, Wheeler does have more POTENTIAL, as he is a much bigger guy. But, I think Getzlaf is much more likely to become a solid NHL player.

Randall Graves*

God Bless Canada said:
Getzlaf by a fairly wide margin at this point in time. He was one of the best players at last year's WJC. (Likely one of the top five forwards, definitely in rthe top 10). Wheeler is roughly the same age as Getzlaf was last year, and at times I had to remind myself that Wheeler was out there.
Even though it's just the wjc's it was hard to get a read on Wheeler, he is pretty useless as a 13th forward/role player.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
It's not really fair to compare these guys at the current stages of their development, but Getzlaf has a huge head start on Wheeler, having played against better competition (I don't think anyone can argue the WHL and AHL are better than high school hockey, the USHL and NCAA), and has produced more.

Wheeler is just a set of tools, whether he puts them to use or not anytime soon is anybody's guess.

Default101

reguardless of Wheeler's performance i think he'll do good Gretzky singled him out and said that he was the guy he wanted in turn the Coyotes ended up taking him earlier than projected and now with Gretzky coaching i think Wheeler will get all the chances, but reguardless that won't be enough to bring him anywhere close to Ryan Getzlaf

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Wheeler.

Just kidding.

Edit: To clarify, Wheeler does have more POTENTIAL, as he is a much bigger guy. But, I think Getzlaf is much more likely to become a solid NHL player.

Size doesnt mean potential. Getzlaf has him in every other category, skating offensive awareness, strength, heart absolutely everything.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
bert said:
Size doesnt mean potential. Getzlaf has him in every other category, skating offensive awareness, strength, heart absolutely everything.

He can also sometimes be a locker room cancer if the reports are true. Can't say they are or aren't however but that can kill a team.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Getzlaf by far for me. I've loved this guy since his days with the Hitmen. Big kid with all the tools, he should have a lot of success in the NHL. He's got all attributes to be a very good NHL player.

canuck_kev

Aug 29, 2005
Kelowna
Leachmeister2000 said:
He can also sometimes be a locker room cancer if the reports are true. Can't say they are or aren't however but that can kill a team.
Are you sure? Most of what I have heard about Getzlaf has been pretty positive. Do you have a link for these 'reports'?
Not agreeing or disagreeing - impartial Canucks fan (if there is such a thing) - just want to see how you came to that conclusion.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Getzlaf scored tonight 5mins into being recalled... *could* be 1 goal more then Wheeler ever scores in the NHL.

No locker-room crap with RG -that is overblown b.s. IMO.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Leachmeister2000 said:

I don't think so. Getzlaf is a good leader a great guy and a great teammate. He is a little goofy though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Getzlaf is not a lockerroom cancer, he got bit of a reputation for arguing with refs too often and racking up 10-min misconducts.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Wheeler went from 185 draft day to 220 today. When he reaches the NHL he could be close to 6'5 240 with goal scorers hands. What he does with it? I do not know?But i am likeing what i see. Will it make him better that Getzalf, no idea as neither have peaked and both are going to get better.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
canuck_kev said:
Are you sure? Most of what I have heard about Getzlaf has been pretty positive. Do you have a link for these 'reports'?
Not agreeing or disagreeing - impartial Canucks fan (if there is such a thing) - just want to see how you came to that conclusion.

Absolutely no link whatsoever to prove it. But those criticisms came during the 04-05 season, where he had a subpar campaign with the hitmen. Even despite the WJC performance there were still concerns over his character. However I wouldn't know. I'd gladly take him on my team for what it's worth.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
canuck_kev said:
I dont think he was a cancer in the room, but he was a player who had the NHL hangover after being one of the Ducks last cuts in 03-04. People were critical in Calgary of him in the early part of the year. He loves to win and it shows on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad