Blake Wheeler can imagine bringing the Stanley Cup to Winnipeg

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's cheap IMO. Open market he's 8.5-9. He's arguably the best right winger in the league, one of the best forwards and players overall. Term will be key.
Even on cap space give away day I can't see any GM giving a $9 M AAV contract to a 33 y/o player that isn't named Crosby. Finding a middle ground on a contract with Wheeler will be one of Chevy's biggest challenges as a GM.

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
7x5m would be great for the Jets, but I think it will take more. Maybe 7x5.5m with some lockout protection. Kesler got 6x6.9m at one year younger.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Great interview
Great guy
Great Captain!
Loved him until he said stupid crap.
Great guy till he said stupid crap.
Great Captain until he runs out of breath and leaves his team 1 man down every second shift. He's great but he needs an ass kicking by the Coach!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Loved him until he said stupid crap.
Great guy till he said stupid crap.
Great Captain until he runs out of breath and leaves his team 1 man down every second shift. He's great but he needs an ass kicking by the Coach!
"Crap" is in the eye of the beholder. I liked everything he said, to be honest.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Even on cap space give away day I can't see any GM giving a $9 M AAV contract to a 33 y/o player that isn't named Crosby. Finding a middle ground on a contract with Wheeler will be one of Chevy's biggest challenges as a GM.

I totally agree with this post here - at 33 years old, how much is the guy going to have left in the tank ? and also what about the other up and coming big contracts that need to be signed ? Something has got to give here ? - and it may end up like the Ladd deal. I can see this happening.

If I was Chevy -- I'd like to keep Wheeler at no more than 4 years, at around $ 6-6.5 mil per year --same sort of thing Scheif has. If he doesn't take it, the Jet's may just let him walk- like with Ladd. I do think Wheeler has "a lot more value" than Ladd ever had. Be nice to keep him-but it has to make cents $$$

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I totally agree with this post here - at 33 years old, how much is the guy going to have left in the tank ? and also what about the other up and coming big contracts that need to be signed ? Something has got to give here ? - and it may end up like the Ladd deal. I can see this happening.

If I was Chevy -- I'd like to keep Wheeler at no more than 4 years, at around $ 6-6.5 mil per year --same sort of thing Scheif has. If he doesn't take it, the Jet's may just let him walk- like with Ladd. I do think Wheeler has "a lot more value" than Ladd ever had. Be nice to keep him-but it has to make cents $$$

Marleau got 3x6.25 at age 38. He may have been the player that Wheeler is now when he was 8 years younger but he certainly isn't now. His point total has been dropping steadily each year. He has averaged 47 pts over the last 4 years and is on pace for 38 this year.

If Wheeler went to the UFA market after next year he would probably get only 4 years but would get 8+ AAV. That is assuming he puts together another season like this one. If he drops off a cliff it would be different, of course. He would be 1 year younger when that expires than Marleau was when he signed his deal.

I can see Blake signing here for 4x7, maybe 7.5. Buff got 5x7.6 but was a couple of years younger than Wheeler will be.

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Marleau got 3x6.25 at age 38. He may have been the player that Wheeler is now when he was 8 years younger but he certainly isn't now. His point total has been dropping steadily each year. He has averaged 47 pts over the last 4 years and is on pace for 38 this year.

If Wheeler went to the UFA market after next year he would probably get only 4 years but would get 8+ AAV. That is assuming he puts together another season like this one. If he drops off a cliff it would be different, of course. He would be 1 year younger when that expires than Marleau was when he signed his deal.

I can see Blake signing here for 4x7, maybe 7.5. Buff got 5x7.6 but was a couple of years younger than Wheeler will be.
Marleau took some pretty reasonable deals in San Jose when he was slightly younger. In fact he was just coming off a 3 year, $6.67M deal he signed when he was 34 prior to his decision to sign with the Leafs.

The Jets could probably afford a $7M/AAV deal for Wheeler as long as the cap keeps rising.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Marleau took some pretty reasonable deals in San Jose when he was slightly younger. In fact he was just coming off a 3 year, $6.67M deal he signed when he was 34 prior to his decision to sign with the Leafs.

The Jets could probably afford a $7M/AAV deal for Wheeler as long as the cap keeps rising.

$7m will force some difficult decisions on Chevy unless the cap rises quite steeply. I wouldn't want to assume that happens. Better to make decisions based on a more conservative estimate, IMO. Connor's and Laine's next contracts kick in the same time as Wheeler's. Morrissey's and Ehlers' a year sooner. Going to be interesting to see what Chevy does.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
$7m will force some difficult decisions on Chevy unless the cap rises quite steeply. I wouldn't want to assume that happens. Better to make decisions based on a more conservative estimate, IMO. Connor's and Laine's next contracts kick in the same time as Wheeler's. Morrissey's and Ehlers' a year sooner. Going to be interesting to see what Chevy does.
Well it's $75M today and I thought they were confident it was going to hit $80M next season (at the GM meetings a couple of months ago?). If it rises 4% from there for 2019-20 that brings it to $83.2M. The tough decisions are coming though - but I'm bullish on the cap for the next couple of years, so that may bring a little relief.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well it's $75M today and I thought they were confident it was going to hit $80M next season (at the GM meetings a couple of months ago?). If it rises 4% from there for 2019-20 that brings it to $83.2M. The tough decisions are coming though - but I'm bullish on the cap for the next couple of years, so that may bring a little relief.

I'm assuming the 80 for next year but being conservative after that. We are going to be so tight to the cap that anything other than conservative in those estimates would be playing with fire. 2.5% gets it to 82 mil in '20. That's the last year of Roslo's ELC and the last year of Kuli's contract.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I can see Blake signing here for 4/7 maybe 7.5 Buff got 5x7.6 but was a couple of years younger than Wheeler will be.

Very good points you make here Mort-and I agree. If he keeps up his play I can see the Jet's going 4/ 7 mil, but I wouldn't want to go any longer term than that. I'd like to see around $ 6.5 to 7 over 4, but he could likely get more as an UFA ($7.5 ??)-- but I think he likes playing here, and would sign for a reasonable amount. Has to work for both sides here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Very good points you make here Mort-and I agree. If he keeps up his play I can see the Jet's going 4/ 7 mil, but I wouldn't want to go any longer term than that. I'd like to see around $ 6.5 to 7 over 4, but he could likely get more as an UFA ($7.5 ??)-- but I think he likes playing here, and would sign for a reasonable amount. Has to work for both sides here.
If he wants 7.5 let him go as a UFA. We need to worry about the team's long term health and if he doesn't want to win a cup with us that's fine. Winnipeg doesn't owe him anything if he makes it a business thing. You then work out who will bring more to the team the next 4 years Wheeler or Connor and Roslo as both their salaries together would probably be about 7.5.
Now if he is willing to take 6.5 over 3 you are happy to have him as your captain and celebrate together by winning a cup.

Reactions: GNP and Psych0dad

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Buff was able to get more, but, at that point and right now, we are more desperate at D with less depth than we have at wing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he wants 7.5 let him go as a UFA. We need to worry about the team's long term health and if he doesn't want to win a cup with us that's fine. Winnipeg doesn't owe him anything if he makes it a business thing. You then work out who will bring more to the team the next 4 years Wheeler or Connor and Roslo as both their salaries together would probably be about 7.5.
Now if he is willing to take 6.5 over 3 you are happy to have him as your captain and celebrate together by winning a cup.

Connor and Roslo only = 7.5 combined if they are on bridge deals - or if their play seriously disappoints between now and contract time.

My guess is that 4 years is the minimum time he would accept.
If Chevy goes into negotiation with him taking that kind of hard-ass attitude he will leave, even if Chevy raises the offer.

6.5 or 7 doesn't make a lot of difference to our cap situation. You would lose our Captain over a half mil?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad