Blake Wheeler can imagine bringing the Stanley Cup to Winnipeg

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
He touched on how tough it was to leave Boston right before they won the cup, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I’ve long had a hunch he would re-sign for a 3-4 year deal at around 6-7 million per, taking him to 36-37.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He touched on how tough it was to leave Boston right before they won the cup, I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I’ve long had a hunch he would re-sign for a 3-4 year deal at around 6-7 million per, taking him to 36-37.
Agreed. I also think Wheeler will sign a team friendly deal to stay on board. It really depends how much money you think is enough versus being in position to realize your life long goal. When Wheeler's current contract expires he will have made well over $50 M for his career. At minimum he is making another $25 M or so on his next contract. Then the question is, is a couple M more at that point the deciding factor to leave for the highest bidder over being the captain of a contender being fed ideal usage?

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That is exactly what you want your Captain to say and to be his prime motivation.

Ladd already had two cups and could have cared less.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He would make that much for 7 years on the open market.

Questionable. He could get a couple of 7 million years in the first years of contract but it would take a silly GM to give a 35+ year old Wheeler that much.

One thing people need to get about Wheeler is that he does it mainly by physically out working others. He doesn't have individual world class skills, he just does everything well and is physically stronger and more capable than most opponents are.

Physical edge obviously diminishes the older you get at that point. Selanne and Jagr were much more talented and they had Wheelers work ethic. They were rather useful into their later years but even they declined clearly towards the end, despite their better skills. Once Wheeler becomes closer to average physically, he will become average faster than these individuals who had some elite skills to accompany their work ethic.

But I could be wrong.

I hope he signs a sensible contract and wins several cups with jets . Or he can go cash it out and try to chase it somewhere where it's less likely to win.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You want to win, you have to sacrifice. In the cap era, that means sacrificing something financially.

With Wheeler, considering his situation and the Jets' timing, I would actually be inclined to give him a longer contract at a lower AAV, and sweeten the pot with lockout protection.

Reactions: Zhamnov10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good interview with Blake. I have a vision of Blake passing the Cup to Maurice at some point after all the players get their moment. That is really the moment I want to see more than any other....two guys that will have waited a life time.

I was lucky enough to be a really young man living in Edmonton and at the game the night the Oilers won their first cup. I was part of the crowd who spontaneously migrated to Jasper ave to celebrate and I will never ever forget that moment.

To have a similar experience in Winnipeg before I die is my dream. Maybe our team will be on the road.....maybe they will be at home and I will be in the building. I am not sure how it will play out but it will be amazing, for the team, the organization, the city, the fans, me, my family, my buddies, OUR BOARD HERE......it would be a galvanizing moment for Winnipeg.

Not getting ahead of myself because of this season.....the moment we got back in the NHL that was my dream and.....well... hell probably everyone’s dream. The Jets have had their challenges in the NHL but it was the dominant franchise back in the WHA days so time to make it rain again.

mondena

Aug 2, 2011
Cape Town
Great post & thread! Wheeler is my favorite Jet, i love his work ethic and drive to win. I also can't wait to see the Cup in Winnipeg, and since i'm too young to remember the 70s, i've never seen a strong post season Jets team.

I do think we need to remember that lots and lots of teams have had serious regular season success without ever winning the cup. We might have a dominate team for a few years in regular season before we start to really figure out the playoff thing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great post & thread! Wheeler is my favorite Jet, i love his work ethic and drive to win. I also can't wait to see the Cup in Winnipeg, and since i'm too young to remember the 70s, i've never seen a strong post season Jets team.

I do think we need to remember that lots and lots of teams have had serious regular season success without ever winning the cup. We might have a dominate team for a few years in regular season before we start to really figure out the playoff thing.

Winning it all is insanely tough which is why I have always qualified it by saying “before I die”. That being said once the playoffs start we are 1 of 16 teams in the dance and somebody is getting the cup.....Maybe just maybe it will be the little train that could.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. I also think Wheeler will sign a team friendly deal to stay on board. It really depends how much money you think is enough versus being in position to realize your life long goal. When Wheeler's current contract expires he will have made well over $50 M for his career. At minimum he is making another $25 M or so on his next contract. Then the question is, is a couple M more at that point the deciding factor to leave for the highest bidder over being the captain of a contender being fed ideal usage?

I agree - but there is a limit to how far a player will go in that direction. Just for example, consider if he is comparing signing here for 4x6.75, 27 mil vs 6x7, 42 mil on the UFA market. That's not a couple of mil, that's 15 mil.

Reactions: GNP

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I have a feeling Wheeler is going retire a Winnipeg jet.

I'm also hoping that 4 years of college hockey helped save his body.

I'm praying for a Marleau esque deal. 3 years at 7.5ish give or take half a million.

Probably require a bridge contract or 2 and eventually moving a Connor or Roslovic type.

Which I'm fine with.

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad