Prospect Info: Blake Speers -RW- (67th Overall 2015)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Update?

What do u guys see him as in the NHL? 40 point 2 way 2nd line center?

My semi-realistic hope is Stempniak-like production bouncing back and forth between 40-55 points while being a reliable player in all situations.

40 point middle-six player is probably the safest bet for him right now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My semi-realistic hope is Stempniak-like production bouncing back and forth between 40-55 points while being a reliable player in all situations.

40 point middle-six player is probably the safest bet for him right now.

For a third rounder I take a 40 point middle sixer and run home to the bank.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He's been taking a lot of faceoffs in SSM and from what I understand playing a as mostly a center, but I think his professional future is at RW.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
What if he's Jake Guentzel...

He's not as skilled as Jake and won't score as much.

Look for Blake to be groomed into a 3rd line checking line roll, pk stalwart and overall reliable player.

But I don't see much offensive upside for him in the NHL.
I'd love to be wrong in that regard.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
He's not as skilled as Jake and won't score as much.

Look for Blake to be groomed into a 3rd line checking line roll, pk stalwart and overall reliable player.

But I don't see much offensive upside for him in the NHL.
I'd love to be wrong in that regard.

Color me shocked

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
If Speeds puts up 40 points, we're in really good shape considering Zacha, McLeod, Nico/Nolan, Hall, Palmeiri, Zajac and Henrique could all put up 40+ points as well.

Throw in Quenneville, Bastian, Wood and Blandisi we will have some great depth prospects.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hopefully he becomes a better Boucher. One who is an all around solid player who is not sluggish.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe it's just because he wore #18 with the Soo, but it'd be great if Speers could be this generation's version of Sergei Brylin.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Underwhelming offense in his first AHL season. Anyone who has seen him play think hes showing the tools to still be an NHLer in a couple years, or is he just a prospect not expected to do much now.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Underwhelming offense in his first AHL season. Anyone who has seen him play think hes showing the tools to still be an NHLer in a couple years, or is he just a prospect not expected to do much now.

i don't know about that...look at those bantam numbers. he'll end up as a poor man's connor mcdavid

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Speers has been used as a utility forward by Kowalsky this season. He plays on the second PP unit and the first PK unit. He also gets OT time on a three man unit.

Friday he played 4C between Thomson and Bastian.

Saturday he played 1RW with Kearns centered by Rooney.

Yesterday he played 2C between Quenneville and Berstchy.

March 4th he played 4RW with Thomson centered by Cangelosi.

March 2nd and 3rd he played 3C between Pietila and Latta.

Pretty sure Speers has played C and RW on all four lines at some point this season.

And that's been the story for Speers for the entire season. He doesn't really have a regular spot with regular line mates. Tough to build any consistency that way.

Speers injured himself making a hit at one point this season IIRC suffering a dislocated rib which he admitted hampered him. He's one assist behind RW Bastian in one fewer game played who missed time with a leg injury. Bastian looked strong before going down and hasn't done much since his return.

I expect more out of both Speers and Bastian next season if they can each cement regular spots and develop some chemistry with regular line mates.

Kowalsky also played for Soo in junior so that's gotta count for something for Speers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->