Prospect Info: Blake Hillman - 2016 173rd Overall (D) (signed to 2-year deal through 2018-19))

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'll put my write-up here I did on him his first draft year when I can pull it up.

W/out Blake Hillman & fellow young Denver D Tariq Hammond the Pioneers probably don't advance to NCAA Frozen Four. These guys became giants- Denver Post Writer Mike Chambers.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Write-up from 2014:

"The future University of Denver commit really impressed our staff this season. Drafted 240th Overall in the 2013 USHL Entry Draft out of Elk River High School in Minnesota, Hillman proved to be an steal at that pick. Blake has great hockey sense and has as good of anticipation of the play as just about anyone viewed this season. He is great at picking off passes, but especially in the neutral zone where he keeps tight gaps with his excellent skating ability. His anticipation combined with his active stick make neutral zone play tough, let alone offensive zone entry. He steps up very well on attacking players and space is at a major premium at his defensive blue line. He is quick in transition and wins most races to dump-ins.

His decision making is strong, and he has a lot of confidence in his vision and passing ability. He isn’t afraid to make short little chip passes to his centers in the middle of the defensive zone ice or make the long stretch pass.

Blake has a rocket for a slap shot and gets it off quickly. He’s also l just as willing and able to make a move at the blue line with pressure to open up a shooting lane and let a good wrister go. He likes to jump up into the play and into rushes coming up ice. He only had 13 points this season but there is higher offensive upside there as he gets more confident and that is also an attribute to his defense-first mentality. He displays great poise with the puck and loses no speed when carrying it. There is definitely higher offensive output there going forward in his career. "

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Write-up from 2014:

"The future University of Denver commit really impressed our staff this season. Drafted 240th Overall in the 2013 USHL Entry Draft out of Elk River High School in Minnesota, Hillman proved to be an steal at that pick. Blake has great hockey sense and has as good of anticipation of the play as just about anyone viewed this season. He is great at picking off passes, but especially in the neutral zone where he keeps tight gaps with his excellent skating ability. His anticipation combined with his active stick make neutral zone play tough, let alone offensive zone entry. He steps up very well on attacking players and space is at a major premium at his defensive blue line. He is quick in transition and wins most races to dump-ins.

His decision making is strong, and he has a lot of confidence in his vision and passing ability. He isn’t afraid to make short little chip passes to his centers in the middle of the defensive zone ice or make the long stretch pass.

Blake has a rocket for a slap shot and gets it off quickly. He’s also l just as willing and able to make a move at the blue line with pressure to open up a shooting lane and let a good wrister go. He likes to jump up into the play and into rushes coming up ice. He only had 13 points this season but there is higher offensive upside there as he gets more confident and that is also an attribute to his defense-first mentality. He displays great poise with the puck and loses no speed when carrying it. There is definitely higher offensive output there going forward in his career. "

Nice write up, haven't seen the offensive growth though.

Reactions: Blue Liner

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Good signing. Think Hillman is ready for the next step (the A). Good to have him in the mix.
yep, 6th round pick potential bottom pairing dman with some upside..all picks matter man...good job Bowman, good find. him and Gilbert could be a nice bottom pair defensemen in their careers.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
yep, 6th round pick potential bottom pairing dman with some upside..all picks matter man...good job Bowman, good find. him and Gilbert could be a nice bottom pair defensemen in their careers.

I think that's where he'll be. Think he can be really good, lockdown, rock-solid bottom pairing guy who can kill penalties. He has a heavy shot and can get it on net so maybe could be a PP option but definitely a bottom-pairing guy at the NHL level at 5v5. Think Gilbert will be similar.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I feel like Hillman could make the Hawks next year if he has a good camp. He is steady and that is what the team will need. If he does I think Gus will be in Rockford.

Thing could get complicated if Mitchell signs unless they can find a way to move Seabrook.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
the problem i see is, while these new kids/players are an uncertain element going forward. i still strongly believe the org needs to go out and get at least 1 d-men and yes i would love to get 2 players of the defensive side of the puck.

but even with all the young players, i still would want an open camp and let the best players earn their spot.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Signed. Two year deal. Joins Hawks immediately.

#55.

Welcome!

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Have no expectations. His game reminds me of Paliotta. He is solid defensively and can skate but that isn’t always enough in this league anymore.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I thought Paliotta would turnout to be a solid PMD bottom pairing guy for the Hawks. I think Hillman is better defensively.

Reactions: TLEH

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’m wary because I think Mitchell can be something special and Hillman has had his best season playing with him. Hillman was solid against UND in the frozen four. It’s been a couple years but I remember his burying schmaltz in the corner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I’m wary because I think Mitchell can be something special and Hillman has had his best season playing with him. Hillman was solid against UND in the frozen four. It’s been a couple years but I remember his burying schmaltz in the corner

I am starting to think that Mitchell/HJ sign as well.

I think Gus or Rutta get moved at the Draft along with a AA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad