Blake Geoffrion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't get that impression at all. Trust me, guys like Earl, Likens, Pavelski, etc aren't there to play a restrictive style. (although if they were, perhaps Wisconsin would have made the tournament.........)

What worries me for Geoffrion is that Wisconsin's best player doesn't get selected for the WJC (despite Eaves' connections) and is developed such that he can't get drafted any higher than the fifth round.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Juan said:
What worries me for Geoffrion is that Wisconsin's best player doesn't get selected for the WJC (despite Eaves' connections) and is developed such that he can't get drafted any higher than the fifth round.

i've heard there's some character issues involving earl, though. poor attitude\work ethic.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
milzie said:
Duckfan01 is talking out of his arse. With Mike Eaves third recruiting class coming in, Wisconsin will open it up next year. Wisconsin only loses 3 goals and 2 assists from last years graduating class. They're adding Jack Skille, Tom Gorowsky and Ben Street this year...do the math. Also, the Badgers did make the tournament.

You're right, the Badgers did make the tournament. I was thinking along the lines of them sputtering along for a good portion of the year and just making it in.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Juan said:

The U.S. WJC team had several players of Earl's ilk (finesse forward) on the team. I'm not surprised he was shunned considering his defensive lapses, character (alledged) issues, and USA Hockey politics. He's also not very big. Toronto might have a got a steal, but I'm not shocked he dropped as far as he did.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
milzie said:
Duckfan01 is talking out of his arse. With Mike Eaves third recruiting class coming in, Wisconsin will open it up next year. Wisconsin only loses 3 goals and 2 assists from last years graduating class. They're adding Jack Skille, Tom Gorowsky and Ben Street this year...do the math. Also, the Badgers did make the tournament.

Your childish name calling really hurts. :biglaugh:

Apparently you must be a Wisconsin fan since my remark seems to have hit a sore spot with you.

Eaves isn't going to suddenly change how his team plays because he is bringing in a few more forward recruits next year. Saying he will change his whole approach because of a few more forwards is shortsighted. His team didn't even rank in the top 20 in the NCAAs for offense last year and, as you pointed out, they don't lose much at forward. The style they have played in the last few years isn't suddenly going to change next season. Eaves won't change his spots.

Eaves' teams are well known for being more interested in playing a system and playing defensive hockey. So well known for this that the best recruit in the nation, who grew up in the shadow of Wisconsin hockey, decided to play for a different program partially because of the slow it down approach of Eaves. When the hometown kid with tremendous offensive skills turns you down partially because of how a team plays, I'd say the opinion I am stating isn't unique.

Funkymoses

PuckFan01 said:
So well known for this that the best recruit in the nation, who grew up in the shadow of Wisconsin hockey, decided to play for a different program partially because of the slow it down approach of Eaves. When the hometown kid with tremendous offensive skills turns you down partially because of how a team plays, I'd say the opinion I am stating isn't unique.

There are many reasons to play hockey at Minnesota, especially when you don't like Jack Skille. Like, a lot, man. Besides, I thought the argument here was that Geoffrion should play in the ruffer tuffer OHL and not a wide open free-flowing place like NCAA hockey.

countdown to a Juan post that implies that he thinks "1" is a statistically significant sample size... 3.... 2.... 1...

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
There are many reasons to play hockey at Minnesota, especially when you don't like Jack Skille. Like, a lot, man. Besides, I thought the argument here was that Geoffrion should play in the ruffer tuffer OHL and not a wide open free-flowing place like NCAA hockey.

countdown to a Juan post that implies that he thinks "1" is a statistically significant sample size... 3.... 2.... 1...

So we agree then: the number of big power wingers coming out of the NCAA these days is statistically insignificant.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Juan said:
So we agree then: the number of big power wingers coming out of the NCAA these days is statistically insignificant.

Have you seen a NCAA game lately Juan? It seems that they are trying to make the big man an endangered species.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
VOB said:
Have you seen a NCAA game lately Juan? It seems that they are trying to make the big man an endangered species.

I see Michigan and Michigan State play live at home about four times each per year. I also travel to Minnesota once or twice per year on business, and I always catch the Gophers live when I do (I really like the rink, the atmosphere and the blonde cheerleaders there!). I also went to the NCAA playoffs in Buffalo last year. I live in Toronto, and there were quite a few NCAA games on Rogers cable this year, so I usually watch those if I'm at home as well.

My brief synopsis of what I have seen over the past couple of years is this: a bunch of relatively smaller guys flying around getting chances off quick transitions, turnovers and long bomb passes. There are some big highlight type bodychecks, because it seems any other type of physical contact whatsover other than a flush hit on a puck carrier draws a penalty. I must give credit to the NCAA on this though: they pledged to call the rule book using a VERY strict interpretation, and they have stuck with that. Certainly less clutch and grab, yes, but IMHO they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater because I see very little in the way of trench warfare, playoff type hockey in front of the net or in the corners. To me, that's an integral part of the game of hockey, although I acknowledge that it's not to some other people.

Oh, and it amuses me how so many guys in the NCAA seems to like to beak and be the tough guy after the whistle with their bird cages on. Can the NCAA follow the IIHF, the USHL and everyone else and please go to the half-shield already??

In conclusion, it is because of this impression (and granted, it's just my opinion) that I feel that the NCAA would be the wrong place for a player of Blake Geoffrion's style to try to develop into an NHL player.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
College hockey and toughness

I can't seem to understand why learning how to push through guys hammering the snot out of you and clutching and grabing you makes you a better hockey player. It is easy to learn that. It just takes determination and some time to adjust. It is harder to learn skill stuff, playmaking, finishing, odd man rushes, etc. That is what makes hockey fun to play and fun to watch. Sure the big hits are great too, but the show that Gretzky, Forsberg, Lemieux, Jagr, etc., put on in their prime is what get people the most excited.

I'm glad college hockey is promoting skill and putting an end to goobery or should I say "goober-robbery" cause these hacks just put an end to skill by their highly trained clutch and grab play.

And Geoffrion is no hack. A Power forward yes, but he's no hack and would do well going either route, but it's "always" good educating your brain while your young.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
fatsunny said:
I can't seem to understand why learning how to push through guys hammering the snot out of you and clutching and grabing you makes you a better hockey player. It is easy to learn that. It just takes determination and some time to adjust. It is harder to learn skill stuff, playmaking, finishing, odd man rushes, etc. That is what makes hockey fun to play and fun to watch. Sure the big hits are great too, but the show that Gretzky, Forsberg, Lemieux, Jagr, etc., put on in their prime is what get people the most excited.

I'm glad college hockey is promoting skill and putting an end to goobery or should I say "goober-robbery" cause these hacks just put an end to skill by their highly trained clutch and grab play.

And Geoffrion is no hack. A Power forward yes, but he's no hack and would do well going either route, but it's "always" good educating your brain while your young.

Whether college hockey is more or less entertaining or "fun to play" is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it is moving further and further away from a style that a player like Geoffrion will be called upon to play at the next level - hopefully for him, the NHL.

Incidentally, the Knights/67's game I watched on TV last night was at least as skilled, much rougher and quite a bit more entertaining than anything I saw at Michigan or MSU this year (marching bands and the clever "you just suck" chants at the goalies notwithstanding :rolleyes: ).

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Juan said:
Whether college hockey is more or less entertaining or "fun to play" is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it is moving further and further away from a style that a player like Geoffrion will be called upon to play at the next level - hopefully for him, the NHL.

And the style of play you are making out to be in Geoffrion's best interests in also the style of play that has made watching the NHL about as exciting as watching grass grow.

One can only hope that the NHL, when it returns, will make some changes that make skill play a bigger part of the game and do a better job of getting rid of the clutch, grab, slow it down junk the NHL has become more known for in the last 15 years. If they do that, college hockey will have an even greater impact than it is already gaining.

I miss the 1980s NHL. :cry:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
And the style of play you are making out to be in Geoffrion's best interests in also the style of play that has made watching the NHL about as exciting as watching grass grow.
:

I think you are misunderstanding what Juan is trying to say. Having seen more than my fair share of games in both leagues, I can tell you that on average the CHL game is just as exciting to watch, if not more so, than the NCAA one.

There is more goal scoring in the OHL and there are far fewer teams that employ the suffocating defensive systems found in many NCAA programs.

Juan is trying to say that the physical element of the game is lacking in the NCAA.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Juan said:
Certainly less clutch and grab, yes, but IMHO they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater because I see very little in the way of trench warfare, playoff type hockey in front of the net or in the corners. To me, that's an integral part of the game of hockey, although I acknowledge that it's not to some other people.
"I don't think there's one NHL team that plays as tough a game from the back end, on the blueline, as North Dakota does. They've got at least 5 guys that always play the body and are big enough and strong enough that just drive you into the ice." Bill Clement 3:45 of the 3rd period, calling a UND NCAA tournament game in Boston.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
They also have the Suters, Reinprecht, Rafalski, Granato. It's not the most storied college hockey program, but it's not THAT bad. It's certainly no Brampton ;)

What about Mark Johnson,Chris Chelios,Scott Mellanby, Mike Richter, Sean Hill, Curtis Joseph, Jim Carey, Dave Tanabe not to mention many more. I'm going to have to disgree with you, although UW hasn't been a power over the last few years they are very much a storied college hockey program.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Spectacular_Bid said:
What about Mark Johnson,Chris Chelios,Scott Mellanby, Mike Richter, Sean Hill, Curtis Joseph, Jim Carey, Dave Tanabe not to mention many more. I'm going to have to disgree with you, although UW hasn't been a power over the last few years they are very much a storied college hockey program.

How are you disagreeing with me? I never said it wasn't a storied program, just that it wasn't the most storied.

milzie

Apr 20, 2005
Primetime955 said:
Hey buddy just beacause he chose Wisconsin over Michigan doesnt mean you have to cry about it.

Primetime, I think you need to read the whole thread to see the context of his post.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I know nothing about "Boom Boom" except having read scouting reports on him but I wouldn't necessarily write him completely off from the OHL just because he's made a verbal.

Players have made verbals 2-3 years out only to opt for major junior.

Funkymoses

Schlep Rock said:
I know nothing about "Boom Boom" except having read scouting reports on him but I wouldn't necessarily write him completely off from the OHL just because he's made a verbal.

Players have made verbals 2-3 years out only to opt for major junior.

if Geoffrion was planning on going the OHL route he would likely already be there since he was drafted last year. If he remains with the NTDP this year the chances of him ending up in the OHL are very small.

Primetime: I don't have anything against Wisconsin, just being sarcastic towards the OHL partisans. Okay, I'm somewhat upset about Robbie Earl.

puckguy

Jun 2, 2004
PuckFan01 said:
Eaves' teams are well known for being more interested in playing a system and playing defensive hockey. So well known for this that the best recruit in the nation, who grew up in the shadow of Wisconsin hockey, decided to play for a different program partially because of the slow it down approach of Eaves. When the hometown kid with tremendous offensive skills turns you down partially because of how a team plays, I'd say the opinion I am stating isn't unique.

According to the Wisconsing State Journal story on Kessel's decision, there were some other factors including:

His fundamental reason for choosing Minnesota over UW came down to a sense of style. The Gophers, under coach Don Lucia, have an up-tempo offense in which players are free to read and react. The Badgers, under coach Mike Eaves, have a more structured system that requires attention to detail in all three zones.
"It just wasn't the fit," Kessel said of UW.
Sources close to situation said Kessel had concerns about the way Eaves conducts practice. Almost all are done at actual game pace to keep the overall conditioning level high, a reality that apparently didn't sit well with Kessel.

Here's some speculation from the Gopher board at the time. This was reportedly from Kessel's uncle:

....the reason Phil finally chose Minnesota over Wisconsin was actually because his girlfriend is going to go here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->