Blair Mackasey video clip RE: NHL in Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not someone who runs around saying "remove all the teams in the South" and "contract all the teams in the South" but for Winnipeg I make an exception

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
:shakehead maybe Blair should look at some Jets attendance figures from the past before making such bold statements. :D

The shakehead is the fact that we are going to have this debate again...Mayor Mac is going to come in support the no Winnipeg argument, and those that wax poetic at a team leaving Canada are going to support the idea....and yada yada yada, some people will be offended.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Or maybe look at the North Stars past attendance figures ????

Seems like a new arena and a second chance changed things for the Wild. :teach:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
slats432 said:
:shakehead maybe Blair should look at some Jets attendance figures from the past before making such bold statements. :D.

Maybe he looked at the attendance figures for the past few years for the Hurricanes

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sotnos said:
I second that :shakehead :shakehead

Why is it that Nordiques fans don't start threads like this every other day? :dunno:

I don't think they have a new arena yet. it's not an attractive place to go with Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto not all that far away.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
go kim johnsson said:
I don't think they have a new arena yet. it's not an attractive place to go with Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto not all that far away.
They have the new arena, and the guys that built it were smart enough to build it to 15 000 capacity. If they thought the NHL was an option, you would think they would have at least thrown 17 000 seats in there. I remember the interview with the building manager right when it was being completed and even he said it would be very difficult to expand it as well.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
if there was significant revenue sharing and a hard cap, just as there is with the NFL, the NHL could be brought back to winnipeg quite easily i imagine. the key, however, is significant revenue sharing. it allows some teams in the NFL to thrive, like the Packers as we all know by know. but, the rich owners don't want to share their money and bettman wants 30 teams only in major north american markets for greater public exposure, not in hockey hotbeds like winnipeg.

btw, don't undermine winnipeg's passion for having an NHL team by stating past attendance figures. winnipeg is still a hockey town with a rabid core of sports fans. it has potential, despite what previous attendance figures may show.

moreover, denver and minneapolis got their second chances and they've been successful. winnipeg's second chance could also work given the right circumstances (REVENUE SHARING).

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
jericholic19 said:
moreover, denver and minneapolis got their second chances and they've been successful. winnipeg's second chance could also work given the right circumstances (REVENUE SHARING).

It's a shame that wont happen with these owners and Bettman. The fact is under the players plan would probablt generate more revenue sharing than the owners plan of sharing part of the playoff revenue.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
slats432 said:
They have the new arena, and the guys that built it were smart enough to build it to 15 000 capacity. If they thought the NHL was an option, you would think they would have at least thrown 17 000 seats in there. I remember the interview with the building manager right when it was being completed and even he said it would be very difficult to expand it as well.

What's wrong with 15,000 seats only? That's fine. Most of the teams in the NHL with huge buildings have 17,000+ seats and usually only 14 - 15,000 show up. If the team can constantly sell out a 15,000 seat arena, that's good IMO. If salaries come back down to earth, they will still be making money.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Beauty said:
What's wrong with 15,000 seats only? That's fine. Most of the teams in the NHL with huge buildings have 17,000+ seats and usually only 14 - 15,000 show up. If the team can constantly sell out a 15,000 seat arena, that's good IMO. If salaries come back down to earth, they will still be making money.
Why do I.. :banghead:

Alright...if you are in the CBA fight for your life to keep 30 healthy franchises, and maintain your small markets by revenue sharing, why would you add another small market to the fold? Because you like Winnipeg? The kids in Winnipeg are sad without a team? Because Winnipeg "deserves" a team?

So why Winnipeg? I tell you, I love hockey, I love my country, and I love Winnipeg. But honestly, there are several cities that would be more economically viable and the first thing they would do is NOT ask for revenue sharing.

Why Winnipeg before Quebec City? Why Winnipeg before Seattle? or Portland? or Houston?

Because a few people think that the average Joe in Manitoba cares about hockey than a cowboy in Texas. But that isn't hockey anymore. Hockey is big bucks, big dollars....so big that we have two ignornant...and I am thinking of a very bad word here....fighting over how to fairly split.....Two billion dollars. I tell you what...I could split $2 billion pretty well with anyone...(well maybe not my ex-wife...but anyone else ;) )

On top of it, the Jets wouldn't make money. If they were losing money back when they moved, they would lose money now. They aren't in a better spot than Edmonton is now and I don't know how the Oilers will make money even if there is a cap at $38 million.

So the whole act is "Let us in the league and give us money to survive." From day one, you want a team and the high revenue clubs will have to give you a hand out to survive. To me, that is bad business. And as much as I love Portage and Main, the Winnipeg Zoo, Fort Garry, and some of the best people in the world, I wouldn't give them an NHL team.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
economically speaking and marketing wise, it doesn't make sense to have an NHL franchise in winnipeg. no doubt i agree with you there. but winnipeg, as a city that loves hockey, is far more deserving of an NHL team than Carolina, Miami, or Atlanta. getting rid of the small, non-traditional hockey markets in the USA and placing a team in Winnipeg with siginificant revenue sharing is the appropriate solution if you want to correct certain injustices. But, if you want the NHL to become a league on par with the other major sports franchises, it is clear winnipeg must be avoided. That, however, is ethically wrong, no matter how much it makes sen$e. Further, does the NHL even have much of a chance of becoming as major a sport as the MLB or NFL despite not being embraced by those in the states? so, why give the game to the people who don't give a hoot about it. it's ethically wrong!

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
jericholic19 said:
But, if you want the NHL to become a league on par with the other major sports franchises, it is clear winnipeg must be avoided. That, however, is ethically wrong, no matter how much it makes sen$e.
How is it "ethically" wrong to not have a team in Winnipeg? That's ridiculous.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
slats432 said:
Why do I.. :banghead:

Alright...if you are in the CBA fight for your life to keep 30 healthy franchises, and maintain your small markets by revenue sharing, why would you add another small market to the fold? Because you like Winnipeg? The kids in Winnipeg are sad without a team? Because Winnipeg "deserves" a team?

So why Winnipeg? I tell you, I love hockey, I love my country, and I love Winnipeg. But honestly, there are several cities that would be more economically viable and the first thing they would do is NOT ask for revenue sharing.

Why Winnipeg before Quebec City? Why Winnipeg before Seattle? or Portland? or Houston?

Because a few people think that the average Joe in Manitoba cares about hockey than a cowboy in Texas. But that isn't hockey anymore. Hockey is big bucks, big dollars....so big that we have two ignornant...and I am thinking of a very bad word here....fighting over how to fairly split.....Two billion dollars. I tell you what...I could split $2 billion pretty well with anyone...(well maybe not my ex-wife...but anyone else ;) )

On top of it, the Jets wouldn't make money. If they were losing money back when they moved, they would lose money now. They aren't in a better spot than Edmonton is now and I don't know how the Oilers will make money even if there is a cap at $38 million.

So the whole act is "Let us in the league and give us money to survive." From day one, you want a team and the high revenue clubs will have to give you a hand out to survive. To me, that is bad business. And as much as I love Portage and Main, the Winnipeg Zoo, Fort Garry, and some of the best people in the world, I wouldn't give them an NHL team.

Great post, I see your point :)

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Kaiped Krusader said:
How is it "ethically" wrong to not have a team in Winnipeg? That's ridiculous.

Fine, have it your way. Lets continue to put hockey in places where the interest is minimal (though still hvaing the corporate support) and let traditional hockey cities, like winnipeg and potentially edmonton and calgary, starve without watching the best hockey out there. what a great world. take the game away from those who appreicate it and give it to those who don't.

MacDaddy TLC*

Sotnos said:
Why is it that Nordiques fans don't start threads like this every other day? :dunno:
So Who here misses the Kansas City Scouts? :lol :lol

I'm done with the Jets threads. Sorry to dissapoint you guys. :lol

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
jericholic19 said:
Fine, have it your way. Lets continue to put hockey in places where the interest is minimal (though still hvaing the corporate support) and let traditional hockey cities, like winnipeg and potentially edmonton and calgary, starve without watching the best hockey out there. what a great world. take the game away from those who appreicate it and give it to those who don't.
Again, "deserve" and "appreciate" and (my personal favorite) "fair" have nothing to do with it. This is a business we're talking about here, period.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
If Winnipeg had the same roster Atlanta has, Id bet they would sell more seats and make more money than Atlanta would with the same roster. Same could be said with Florida, and possibly Phoenix and Nashville.

Crows*

IN that jets audio montage.. what are the jets fans chanting in the one clip

"we want.. something" i can't figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->