Blainville-Boisbriand Armada: 2016-2017 Thread

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Time for another thread! Draft is one month away.

2016 picks: 1-2-2QC-3MON-3GAT-5-5DRU-5BAT-5CHI-6-9-11-12-13-14
2017 picks: 1-1SHE-2-2VDO-2GAT-3-4-4VDO-5-6-6BC-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14

We don't know yet which picks are going to Sherbrooke for Jeremy Roy but hopefully it will be our 2017 1st + Sherbrooke's 1st + a 2nd or 3rd from this year. It would suck to give up our high pick from this year especially since Sherbrooke's pick from next season could be top-3. Two top picks would be a big prize to pay for one season of Roy. Will be confirmed at the draft.

At forward: I would hope Bouchard can grab a top-end European player at Import draft with his first rounder. We need a Jevpalovs replacement. Dufek has done well since coming over from Sherbrooke (picked up on waivers) and we might as well keep him for now as our 2nd Euro. He is familiar with the club and the system.

We have a lot of younger players that need to burst out onto the scene if we wanna be competitive. Teasdale did well this year and into the playoffs but it remains to be seen if he can get 50-60 pts and be consistent enough for the top-6. The 2014 draft trio of Katerinakis-Picard-Hylland have been mostly busts so far, nothing more than decent 3rd/4th liners. One of them could be traded this summer. 2015 draft with Crete-Belzile, Teasdale, Boucher and Poulin look alright now, though the last 2 I have my doubts about. I don't think Boucher will be back. William Gignac could be one of our 20's but he isnt top-end.

The addition of Alexandre Alain from Gatineau will be welcomed and with a top euro to replace Pospisil it could get interesting. I think Miller, Katerinakis, Poulin and Teasdale have very high offensive potential but it is up to them to take the next step and grab a top-6 spot and produce with consistency. With a good camp from the youngsters I think Bouchard will get rid of the 19 years old Hamelin and Bramwell.

At defense: It seems as though I say this every year but I think the Armada will have a top-2 or top-3 D next season. With Roy coming on board and the great performances of Melancon and Beaudoin this season as well as the impressive point production of Pascal Corbeil it gives us one heck of a top-4 not to mention the bluechip Antoine Crete-Belzile and veteran Charlie Roy who can easily play top-4. To me we have 6 guys for the top-4 as well as Castonguay who can play the #6 role. A trade is imminent. 2 options: deal one of our 20's (Melancon/Beaudoin) to get a forward instead or trade Charlie Roy or Pascal Corbeil for picks. When you think about it, it might be smarter to deal Corbeil away since Charlie Roy could be a key 20 years old for us in 2017-18, a year we are expected to contend. It depends if Bouchard thinks Corbeil can further developp and be a legit top-3 guy on D.

Goaltending: There is about 1% chance Montembeault is back with his performance in these playoffs and the fact FLA doesnt have any good goaltending prospect to rival with him for AHL playing time, but I sure hope he is back. If he is then for sure one of Beaudoin/Melancon is gone for picks. With Montembeault back + that defense we might just be contenders for the cup next season. But like I said I don't think he will be back. I could see Bouchard rolling with Francis Leclerc who has decent potential (they did give up Gramebauer knowing they had this guy coming up) and Jacob Stewart who has good potential too. We are still a young club so going with 2 young tenders could be a good strategy for the future.

I could see the Armada finishing top-4 in the Q with Montembeault back but more realistically we will play the young kids and have a solid D and maybe make a move to upgrade at Christmas so a top-8 finish is more likely, with the team gearing up to contend in 2017-18 and 2018-19.

LINE-UP;

William Gignac (20) -- Joel Teasdale (17) -- NEW EURO
Shawn Miller (17) -- Alexandre Alain (19) -- Jan Dufek (19)
Yvan Mongo (19) -- Miguel Picard (18) -- Alex Katerinakis (18)
Tyler Hylland (18) -- Anthony Poulin (17) -- Morgan Adams-Moisan (19)

Antoine Crete-Belzile (17) -- Jeremy Roy (19)
Guillaume Beaudoin (20) -- TJ Melancon (20)
Deven Castonguay (18) -- Pascal Corbeil (18)

Francis Leclerc (18) -- Jacob Stewart (17)

Traded or released: Connor Bramwell(19), Brendan Hamelin(19), Anthony Boucher(18), Charlie Roy(19)

Note: if not traded to Sherbrooke our 1st round pick from 2016 will likely be in the line-up

Last edited:

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Hearing Jacob Hickey will be Screaming Eagle next year. Did you guys release him or something?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
But why... They weren't contending.

Bouchard wants to compete. We have a lot of young players and they need to develop in a winning environment. We have accumulated enough prospects/picks that Bouchard doesnt mind trading some assets to get J.Roy and A.Alain. It upgrades our club considerably and gives us a good shot at being a top-8 team or better next year.

Alain will also be back as a 20 years old.

With some good moves and the kids developing well this is a team who is set up to be in the upper echelon of the league for 3 consecutive seasons, which is great IMO. 3 shots at winning it all. We have assets to upgrade the club at trade deadline too.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Post-draft analysis of the line-up:

We start with the forwards

LEFT WING
Joel Teasdale (17) - Excellent young player who has been ranked in the 1st round for the 2017 NHL draft. Very smart, good skills, responsaible two-way play, solid skating. I expect him to have a great season. His production should jump to 40-50 pts. Maybe more. Had a great playoff run. Should be a top-6 player for us. Can also play C.

Yvan Mongo (19) - High energy player who is solid defensively and has a ton of speed. Has never produced much offensively but this may change since our team is getting better and he will be 19 now. I could see him getting 30-35 pts, depending on ice time. Would make a great 3rd line LW. Is a leader for the team.

Tyler Hylland (18) - Extremely fast player that works hard. Has some skills but has never showed he could really do anything offensively constantly. Bouchard likes him. Could be a great 3rd or 4th liner for us. Is kind of a wildcard. Will he explode now that he has 2 years of experience under his belt? Maybe he gets cut at camp. Maybe he gets dealt. We'll see.

Shaun Miller (17) - A good young player who had a solid rookie season, kinda came out of nowhere. Has good potential. Good skater with solid hands and a head for the offensive game. Lots of kids will battle with him for a chance at a top-6 spot. Could start on the 4th line. Interesting to see his progression.

CENTER
William Gignac (20) - The little center acquired from Val d'Or could be in for a pretty good season as an overager. He could replace Philippe Sanche. Well, I dont expect him to score as much, but perhaps around 55 pts would be good from him. He works very hard, and is a leader. I would not be against dealing him + picks/prospects to upgrade on this overager. I like Julien Pelletier, Vincent Deslauriers and Joey Ratelle as possible replacements.

Alexandre Alain (19) - A player I have always liked in Gatineau. Has great speed and underrated skills. Okay defensively. Works hard. Very smart. When they were younger I thought he would end up better than Dostie. We'll see how he does here with more ice time. Will definitely start in the top-6. I could see him potting 60-65 pts.

Miguel Picard (18) - Like Hylland it is time for Picard to establish himself in this league now with 2 years experience. He is a good C with solid defensive abilities. He can be physical and seems to have decent offensive flair, but has never scored much so far. Will likely start as our 3rd C. Like Hylland, could lose his spot if he doesnt have a good camp. Kind of a flop as a former 1st round pick.

Anthony Poulin (17) - Kid with very high potential. Great offensive skills, real mature kid that works hard. Type that Joel Bouchard loves. Will have every chance to show his worth during camp. I could see him taking Picard's spot in the top-9.

Anthony Boucher (18) - I thought he would have a better rookie season but he doesnt seem to have that great of a potential. Could hardly get a good read on him last year because he didn't play enough. Camp will be telling. Could be cut/traded.

RIGHT WING
Alex Katerinakis (18) - I rank him 1st because we don't have much in terms of top talent on the RW. To me he is the best of our 2014 picks (Hylland/Picard). Very good puck skills and skating ability. Seems to be closer to exploding than the other ones. Had a huge injury but came back slowly and has showed he could still play. I am expecting good things from him if he is healthy all year. Good potential.

Connor Bramwell (19) - Hard-working player with good speed that can be physical. A good signing by Bouchard who always finds good free agents. I am not sure exactly what's the plan with him because we have a lot of 2nd/3rd line guys who play RW. It depends if they will give a spot to 1st round pick Mathias Laferriere as well. Bramwell could play anywhere in our line-up in September or perhaps could be dealt. Wildcard.

Jan Dufek (19) - An import forward that we got off waivers from Sherbrooke. I thought he did well last year and fit in well with our team. Solid skills and speed and works very hard. I don't know what Bouchard plans to do at the Import Draft but I would not mind keeping Dufek around. Sometimes with the Europeans you have to give them some time to adjust to the NA game and stuff. Dufek has potential. Let's see what happens later this month.

Brendan Hamelin (19) - I am not sure what the plan is with Hamelin who always seems to be on the verge of getting cut at camp but always ends up making it. He works hard but is prone to turnovers, is not all that great defensively and doesnt produce a lot on the offensive side. I don't know if he will ever reach his full potential. Time might be running out. I think he is the most likely not to be on the team next season among all forwards listed here.

Morgan Adams-Moisan (19) - A physical player who I thought looked quite decent in the offensive zone too at times. He is our most physical player and is a leader out there on the ice. I think Bouchard keeps him around as #13 forward to protect the guys and play on the 3rd or 4th line from time to time. I like him but I'm not sure whats the plan with him. May not be back.

Mathias Laferriere (16) - Personally with all the depth we have I would not be opposed to Mathias playing the first part of the year in Midget. He did dominate the playoffs in his league but had only gotten 25 pts during the season. If he doesnt force Bouchard's hands during camp I say let him go back there to get a point per game average, and call him up in Nov or Dec. Huge potential on that one.

Last edited:

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
DEFENSE
Jeremy Roy (19) - One thing is for sure Roy will be our #1 D and could really change the face of this team. He is great offensively and can eat a lot of ice time. He was touted as a surefire NHLer at the start of his draft year but injuries have kind of derailed him and he hasnt progressed a whole lot. I am looking for him to be healthy and to take a huge step under Bouchard. I see him being a top-3 D in the whole league and getting around 50-55 pts.

Guillaume Beaudoin (20) - Beaudoin has been an Armada for what seems to be forever now and was a key cog for us last year as we beat the powerful Foreurs in the 1st round. He can do everything on the ice he is smart, good skater, amazing defensively and is physical. A solid #2 D for sure.

TJ Melancon (20) - It is quite something that we get to have Melancon as a #3 D next season. He really established himself last year and seems to have a lot of potential. He came along offensively and has improved a lot defensively. He is a great skater and a leader. Honestly the depth at defense is what makes the Armada a dangerous squad next season.

Antoine Crete-Belzile (17) - As if our D wasn't good enough ACB comes in at the #4 spot. I LOVE his potential he is a future #1 in this league. Great skater, great hockey sense and good offensive flair. Reminds me a bit of Xavier Ouellet. I expect him to be very much improved after this summer and I see him playing on the top pair before the end of the season.

Charlie Roy (19) - Here is a 5'9 defensive-minded D that is very underrated around the league. Let's be honest he is too good to be a bottom-pairing D at 19 years old and that is why I expect him to be traded during camp. He is an amazing skater that always does the right thing out there, very smart and great defensively.

Pascal Corbeil (18) - The offensively-gifted Corbeil comes in as our #6 D. He exploded into the scene scoring a lot of points for us even though the team barely scored at all. He unfortunately got injured in the playoffs but I thought he was coming all nicely. Obviously needs to work on his defensive game but seems to have very nice potential. He was after all a great prospect for Cape Breton before they cut him/traded him away. Looking forward to seeing him this year.

Daven Castonguay (18) - A good defensive D that can do a lot of good things on the ice but is kind of limited offensively. I was a bit nervous when he was on the ice at times in the playoffs against VD and ROU but its to be expected since those two teams had amazing offensive players. I don't think he will ever be more than a #5 or #6 but he is a good soldier that should improve his game this summer and be a good D for us throughout next season.

GOALIES
Francis Leclerc (18) - I believe the plan is for Leclerc to start next year. I don't know if they think he is better than Grametbauer since they traded him away to a division rival to get Alain or that Grametbauer simply had the most value in a trade or whatever, but going into an important season with two unexperienced goalies is kind of a surprise for me. Bouchard seems to love Leclerc so we will see if he was right to keep him around and trust him instead of keeping Grametbauer.

Jacob Stewart (17) - A great goalie with huge potential who just won the championship with his Midget club, standing on his head. Once again the Armada scouting staff is finding good players outside of the 1st round. Honestly I would not be surprised if Stewart wins the starting role in camp. One thing is for sure even without Montembeault I think those two young goalies can really surprise and do a great job, especially since we will have a great D to help them out.

DON'T FORGET
Joel Bouchard has really set this team up to compete for the next 2-3 years. We have a lot of depth among players aged 16-17-18 and a lot of talented kids on the brink of reaching their full potential.

A key thing to look forward to is the Import Draft where Bouchard will be drafting fairly high. He has the means to attract a a high-profile guy and at this point with the D we have I am 100% sure he is picking a forward. It's simple, we need a Trenin/Abramov/Meier/Timashov type of guy. That is how you win championships, you need great import players and we are in a position to draft an all-star caliber forward now. Let's do this Bouchard.

Keep in mind Bouchard will also be working hard to attract Jeremy Bucheler to Boisbriand. He is a potential #1 defenseman that can do everything on the ice and has great size. With that D we have if we get Bucheler too it will be really tough to get through this team and Bouchard might even use a couple of our defensemen as trade chips to get better up front.

And finally, speaking of trading chips, Bouchard magically holds Sherbrooke's 1st round for next season which could be really high. They are entering a rebuild and they may even lose Audette and Neil to the AHL on top of all the other guys they've already lost. They do have Pelletier, Bahl and Fitzpatrick but aside from that it's rather bare and when you compare their rosters to the rest of the league they are definitely near the bottom. Obviously lots can happen in 68 games but I believe we may have a very valuable chip here and whether or not Bouchard decides to draft a top young prospect in 2017 OR trades this pick to improve us right now I am sure the Armada will end up with a marvelous hockey player.

Do not forget Bouchard did this in the past as he was holding Saint John's 1st round pick following all of their incredible runs. They entered a rebuild and started sucking real hard but Bouchard had their 1st and just like this scenario right now, had a great team and was going for it. He traded back that 1st round pick to Saint John for Ryan Tesink who was a high profile player at the time. SJ got Nathan Noel in the draft with that pick.

Doubleshift

Sep 12, 2014
Wondering who will be the odd man out in goal with Montembeault being returned to the Armada. Trade value for the 20 year old would be high should that be the plan. Otherwise, Stewart or Leclerc would be better off by being given the chance to develop elsewhere if not in the plans for the Armada this season.

Yankees

Apr 28, 2012
Wondering who will be the odd man out in goal with Montembeault being returned to the Armada. Trade value for the 20 year old would be high should that be the plan. Otherwise, Stewart or Leclerc would be better off by being given the chance to develop elsewhere if not in the plans for the Armada this season.

My guess:

Stewart and 2 young players will be traded for an offensive 19yo forward
Max Fortier, Alex Barré-Boulet, Nicolas Roy or Julien Gauthier are potential targets.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
2017-18 possible line-up assuming Dubois and J.Roy are back

Teasdale (18) | Dubois (19) | Alain (20)
Hladonik (18) | Barré-Boulet (20) | Katerinakis (19)
Miller (18) | Poulin (18) | Ethier (18)
Gaudreault (17) | Henman (17) | Anglehart (18)
Collin (17)

Crête-Belzile (18) | J.Roy (20)
Anttalainen (18) | Corbeil (19)
Bolduc (17) | Havlena (17)
Kemp (19)

Leclerc (19) | Stewart (18)

Looks to be #1 in the league (with Dubois and J.Roy). Also, lots of possible returnees for the following season, so possibilities to make trades to further improve by moving the kids. Someone like Samuel Girard should be on the radar.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
2017-18 possible line-up assuming Dubois and J.Roy are back

Teasdale (18) | Dubois (19) | Alain (20)
Hladonik (18) | Barr�-Boulet (20) | Katerinakis (19)
Miller (18) | Poulin (18) | Ethier (18)
Gaudreault (17) | Henman (17) | Anglehart (18)
Collin (17)

Cr�te-Belzile (18) | J.Roy (20)
Anttalainen (18) | Corbeil (19)
Bolduc (17) | Havlena (17)
Kemp (19)

Leclerc (19) | Stewart (18)

Looks to be #1 in the league (with Dubois and J.Roy). Also, lots of possible returnees for the following season, so possibilities to make trades to further improve by moving the kids. Someone like Samuel Girard should be on the radar.

woukd like to see more speed on first line..

you think this goalie tandem will hold up ?

good team should battle for presidents cup

Shmookpup

Aug 8, 2016
woukd like to see more speed on first line..

you think this goalie tandem will hold up ?

good team should battle for presidents cup

1: If you want more speed on the 1st line, Teasdale must come down. My thoughts are that if this change were to happen, it would look something like this.

Dubois-Boulet-Alain
Teasdale-Hladonik-Katerinakis

Katerinakis is a wild card here as he's easily the fastest skater on the team, but otherwise he's more of a 2nd liner. Hladonik is apparently fast as well, so he has the potential to move up. Thing is, if either of the two goes up, who comes down?

2: If Leclerc looks anything like last season, there are no worries in my mind about him. As for Stewart, he looked great in Junior A last season. There were a few occasions where he faced 60+ shots and only let 5-7 in. He played for the MJAHL's last placed team. I'm not worried about the goaltending situation at all.

3: As someone above me said, if Dubois and J. Roy do stay, we are a Memorial Cup contending team this coming season.

Shmookpup

Aug 8, 2016
My 2017-18 Armada predictions:

Forwards:
Dubois - Boulet - Alain
Teasdale - Hladonik - Katerinakis
Miller - Henman - Anglehart
Ethier - Collin - Poulin
Gaudreault
Call-ups: Lafrance, Morin, Boissonneault

With the loss of Morgan Adams-Moisan, someone needs to step up physically. This can be Thomas Ethier, who was often paired with Morgan and was never shy to show off his size. The 3rd and 4th lines are quite interchangeable, as they are quite even.

Defence:
Crete-Belzile - J.Roy
Anttalainen - Corbeil
Kemp - Havlena
*New D*
Call-up: Bolduc

As the current defensive lineup is somewhat weak, I believe that Joel Bouchard will try to acquire a new defenceman. If this does happen and the new guy plays well, Kemp comes down.
Bolduc is still quite young. My guess is he will play the majority of his season in AAA, being strictly a callup.
Anttalainen has great potential in North America, according to an interview with Joel Bouchard in the Journal de Montreal. He apparently plays a physical, defensive, and "intense" game.
Also, if J. Roy does end up in the AHL, (he has stated that his plan is to make the Barracuda of the AHL) then Bouchard must acquire a top defenseman.

Goalies:
Leclerc - Stewart
Call-up: Boileau

No surprises here. Leclerc should have a fantastic season, Stewie has potential to steal some spotlight as Leclerc did to Montembeault last season.

As far as success goes, I believe we will be a top-4 team that can contend for the Memorial Cup come May.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->