Blade Tape

OilerNut*

I saw on Hockey Night in Canada Ron MacLean was pushing this rubber like product on your stick instead of using regular hockey tape. I was just wondering if anyone had used this product or not and if it benefited them at all.

http://www.bladetape.ca

also found an american site selling the same thing

http://www.bladesharkhockey.com/

It claims to give you a harder shot which I don't believe, but I can see how it might give you better puck handling skills. Seems very interesting to me.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Well if you use traditional tape as it starts to fray theres more friction as it rubs the ice which in theory would make your shot weaker as more force is bled off by the friction. I used to work in a place that sells it and it seems like ok stuff. It's pretty expensive though it was like 14.99.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
do any NHLers use it? cause if NHLers would rather use the traditional hockey tape over this, that says alot. Cause no matter what the price they could afford it.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
do any NHLers use it? cause if NHLers would rather use the traditional hockey tape over this, that says alot. Cause no matter what the price they could afford it.
Willie Mitchell. MacLean was raving about it during the intermission and they showed a shot of Mitchell's stick he was using in the game.

score77

Jan 27, 2005
Hopatcong NJ
i have used stuff that sticks on the blades and is like sand paper type material, for inline hockey cause it helps when u have to pull the puck since its not like ice. but the bladetape thing looks different.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I had a teammate who swore by those...but then again he love his aluminum shaft too. They look exactly like Tackimac pads and could find some info searching under that I think. In theory they would give nice grip since it's rubber...but the problem I have is that i'd still have to tape the bottom of the blade so it won't wear and also with the rubber composition of it. I think the rubber would deaden the puck a bit and screw with the feel. I haven't used it but just my thoughts...

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I've seen the rubber "Sticky Shot" rubber with simple tread, but this is the first tape with the sand paper texture I've seen. The ones i've seen before were pretty lame.

Tbone54

Jul 3, 2006
yeah i play inline i used the bladeshark.. its good for cutting up opponents sticks... specially the wood ones i always seem to get some splinters on it by the end of the game lol...

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Franklin makes a product that looks exactly like the blade tape. I used it for years then switched back to tape. I stickhandle a lot better with tape.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
I play mostly inline hockey and have used both the bladeshark and the tackimac pads.

At first I liked the bladeshark; shots felt a lot more solid and powerful coming off the blade, though maybe it was just psychological. I didn't score any more or less than usual using it. The big drawback for inline was stickhandling. The tape is so coarse that it grips the inline puck too much, causing it to roll instead of glide when you're doing quick forehand-to-backhand stickhandles. I love the tackimac. Provides great grip without dampening feel; helps particularly with receiving passes, and it's not too grippy for inline stickhandling.

For a guy like me who plays once a week in a rec league and is usually rushing to get to the rink on time, both are a hassle-free alternative to taping your stick before every game.

Hope that helps.

Redden Hogalot*

Do any of you guys think I should use traditional hockey tape during roller hockey??

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
The amount of force bled off by extra friction due to frayed tape is going to be so minimal it won't make any difference.

Thats what the vendors were saying when they were doing the demo's. Maybe they were full of it, I dont know, but thats how they were trying to sell it.

BLADESHARK55

Feb 15, 2008
As the developer and owner of BLADESHARK, I wish to be available to anyone who may have specific questions or concerns regarding BLADESHARK. I believe that the love of hockey is the important thing to remember here. If we were playing golf, we would all have different clubs. So try new stuff, change the way you think about what "traditional" hockey tape really does. Do you want protection or do you want performance? BLADESHARK may not be for everyone, but it does have a place in the game. It is no gimmick! Better players than us know it! Hall of Fame players!

Pittsburgh Proud

Dec 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
I saw on Hockey Night in Canada Ron MacLean was pushing this rubber like product on your stick instead of using regular hockey tape. I was just wondering if anyone had used this product or not and if it benefited them at all.

http://www.bladetape.ca

also found an american site selling the same thing

http://www.bladesharkhockey.com/

It claims to give you a harder shot which I don't believe, but I can see how it might give you better puck handling skills. Seems very interesting to me.

only downside is your blade will wear down and chip a lot faster without the tape on the bottom

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
I try it last night and love it. And i tape the bottom of the blade.

The feeling with the puck was better with the Blade Tape.

I have 2 Dolomite, one with blade tape and the other without and i play the entire game with the one who have it.

Now the only thing i need too know is, it's is durable .

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
The amount of force bled off by extra friction due to frayed tape is going to be so minimal it won't make any difference.

I would imagine that once in your local top level(age/tier...whatever), every little thing can make the difference. One would think that the drag on the skin for an Olympic swimmer would be insignificant but the new "suits" sure improved their individual times. For me as a rec swimmer it wouldnt give me nearly as big a bang for the buck. Prob would be much the same.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Hey maybe it works. I guess if you're one of those guys who's absolutely obsessed with his shot to the point where you are willing to try anything to make it better, then there's no harm in trying it. I'll be sticking to regular tape though.

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
It wasn't just about the shot, better passing, better control with the puck. for the shot i didn't see a big chance. It was more about the feeling qith the puck.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Anyone still use Blade Tape or is there anything better out there now than standard tape?

Have never tried this, but I recently saw them on sale for $10 in my area so I figured to give it a whirl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->