Movies: Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford. Directed by Denis Villeneuve.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well after a good showing in the foreign markets this movie is up to $156 M worldwide. Depending on what they spend on marketing they could at least break even, which is good to see. I understand this movie is a bit of a niche market but it's still disappointing more people didn't support it.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
How is supporting cast in this?

Original had great supporting cast including the always underrated Brion James

The supporting cast was all-around very good.

Harrison Ford was great returning as Deckard.

I really liked Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, and Robin Wright.

Wasn't a big fan of Jared Leto though.

It's also surprising how good of an actor Dave Bautista has become. I really enjoyed his part in the movie.

I will say I don't think anyone matches Rutger Hauer's performance in the original. Outside of the cinematography, sound/set design and all that came with the technical mastery of Blade Runner, he's my favorite part of that film.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah, great performances by all of the supporting cast.

Bautista and De Armas stood out to me because I honestly wasn’t expecting them to be so good.

member 51464

I thought it was solid but far from a masterpiece. Not even anything to write home about, really.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For me the rankings look something like:

Incendies
Polytechnique/Blade Runner
Enemy/Sicario

Arrival
Prisoners
I would say this is spot on (though I would be tempted to flip Polytechnique and Incendies).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I thought it was solid but far from a masterpiece. Not even anything to write home about, really.
Watch the Robocop or Total Recall reboots.
Original was boring, and this was boring too. ugh. Overrated af.
Not enough explosions for vdB, apparently.
You're in luck because I hear there are more Transformers movies coming.
What's with all this dismissive animosity?

member 51464

Calling it solid but far from a masterpiece is dismissive animosity? Animosity means "strong hostility" and I think your characterization of my characterization is off-base. I wasn't even hostile, much less strongly hostile.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think anybody is a bigger Neu! fan than I am, but that's a pretty bizarre non-sequitor.
Calling it solid but far from a masterpiece is dismissive animosity? Animosity means "strong hostility" and I think your characterization of my characterization is off-base. I wasn't even hostile, much less strongly hostile.
Uhh, I was calling people out for being dismissive of and needlessly nasty towards reasonable comments like yours. I just quoted the full chain of comments and responses that I was referring to.

Last edited:
Reactions: member 51464

member 51464

Haha. That makes so much more sense. I apologize to you for misunderstanding!

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
It was a VERY good movie. Smart sci-fi. But man, it was soooo long. Cut 20 minutes and this movie is perfect.
I don't understand why the movie doesn't make more at the box office, though... the story is great, the visuals are awesome for a big screen, you have excellent actors... what's not to like besides the fact it's too long?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It was a VERY good movie. Smart sci-fi. But man, it was soooo long. Cut 20 minutes and this movie is perfect.
I don't understand why the movie doesn't make more at the box office, though... the story is great, the visuals are awesome for a big screen, you have excellent actors... what's not to like besides the fact it's too long?

It may be worth mentioning that there's likely a practical drawback to the run time and that's that theaters are probably able to fit at least one less showing in per day and, maybe, only one prime slot at night. Whereas a 2:00-long movie could have prime showtimes of 7:00 and 9:30, a 2:45-long movie might have only an 8:30 prime showtime. I'm just guessing, but that could maybe reduce revenue by 25%.

That doesn't come close to explaining things, but then you have the fact that it's rated R and came out in October. Maybe all of those little things add up. Also, I'm never a good judge of this, since I don't watch much network TV or even commercials, but I haven't seen much of any marketing. If I weren't a visitor to this forum, I might not realize that the movie is even out... and, as someone who grew up with Blade Runner, this movie is up my alley. Imagine how anyone new to the franchise would learn that something that they may like is in theaters.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Uhh, I was calling people out for being dismissive of and needlessly nasty towards reasonable comments like yours. I just quoted the full chain of comments and responses that I was referring to.

Calling some "overrated af" based only on your conclusion that its "boring" with no further reasoning or commentary is worthy of derision.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Calling some "overrated af" based only on your conclusion that its "boring" with no further reasoning or commentary is worthy of derision.
Agreed. I wasn't trying to defend vDB's comment. I was pointing out how odd it was that invictus made an innocent, reasonable comment and out of that everything just sharply escalated into four or five posts of "You're an idiot!" "No, you're an idiot!" for some reason.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Nothing to write home about should be reserved for junk B movies that get dumped in January and February. You don't have to like the story in 2049 but at least respect the absurd amount of artistry on display.

Someone that feels the original and this one are 'boring' like vdb should lower their aim about ten grade levels. I know the poster's shtick as well.

Braveheart, Gladiator, Lawrence of Arabia, Lord of the Rings etc... are all "long" movies. If it holds up, it can be whatever length it wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad