Pre-Game Talk: Blackhawks vs Jets - Thu Dec 14 7:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Time to turn the page. It's hard to believe we haven't yet played the Hawks or the Blues yet.

CBA day off today. Maurice said they would practice Wednesday but would not "skate them hard" The whole Maurice man's camp narrative is really a myth the last couple seasons. He's all about managing rest now.

We had pretty good success against both teams last season and with the Hawks going back a few seasons

I expect the exact same lineup to be rolled out for this game

IMG_0257.jpg

Reactions: jets2020champs

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Did we not go 4-1 against the Hawks last year?

Anyway, hit them with the depth. We have an enormous advantage over them in that regard.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I am kind of expecting a call up D before tomorrow's practice. Probably Melchiori

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Time to turn the page. It's hard to believe we haven't yet played the Hawks or the Blues yet.

CBA day off today. Maurice said they would practice Wednesday but would not "skate them hard" The whole Maurice man's camp narrative is really a myth the last couple seasons. He's all about managing rest now.

We had pretty good success against both teams last season and with the Hawks going back a few seasons

I expect the exact same lineup to be rolled out for this game

I don't think the narrative about Maurice perhaps over-training his team is a myth, so much as a hypothesis. I think he ran a hard camp this season and the team came out sluggish. He also used a bit of a schedule break earlier this season to "bag skate" (though he downplayed it at the time), and the Jets responded with a somewhat sluggish few games.

I do think that he's now being much more judicious in terms of how hard he pushes players and how much rest he gives them. I expect that he's listening to some of the expert opinion around about physical training.

Of course, this is all hypothetical and might be completely wrong, but I think it fits some of what we've heard and seen.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I don't think the narrative about Maurice perhaps over-training his team is a myth, so much as a hypothesis. I think he ran a hard camp this season and the team came out sluggish. He also used a bit of a schedule break earlier this season to "bag skate" (though he downplayed it at the time), and the Jets responded with a somewhat sluggish few games.

I do think that he's now being much more judicious in terms of how hard he pushes players and how much rest he gives them. I expect that he's listening to some of the expert opinion around about physical training.

Of course, this is all hypothetical and might be completely wrong, but I think it fits some of what we've heard and seen.

Granted I didn't see any of this years camp but the one before that I was there every day and it was very much downgraded from the whole mancamp year. And just anecdotally it seemed to me that this year was not a return to the man camp year type of camp. I think the players have just showed up at training camp in much better shape overall. So maybe there an "overtraining" offseason effect. But he's not mancamping the shit out of them IMO

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I am kind of expecting a call up D before tomorrow's practice. Probably Melchiori

Fun fact: Melchiori has topped his previous best goal and point seasons with 4 and 12 in 26 games. Previous best was 3 goals in 62 games and 11 points in 50 games.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I can see why Sip cut back on the game to game drinking..,
I was dry this am...
Oh yeah I predicted 5-2 yesterday so let’s say 5-3 Jets
5 is a good number

Reactions: DRC

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
I watched the Lemieux interview and how he says he’s inspired by Hendricks. And all this talk about bromance between Perreault and Hendricks. Playing together in Washington and reuniting here in Winnipeg. And the laughter that came after the 5th goal against Vancouver. We wondered why Hendricks kept the puck, and we later figured out that it ended up to be Perreault’s 100th goal!

So since we play Chicago and they play cheesy songs in the locker room anyways. Lyrics really fit.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Next 4 games are the real test until the next even more real test. Beat the Hawks, split the Blues, beat the Preds and life will be good. 4th scoring line is the magic that no one really has an answer for.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Not that I am downplaying the game against Chicago...but we have all been talking about the St Lou series for awhile now.
Looks like they will be down a couple of valuable pieces against us....both Schwartz and Pietrangelo on IR.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I think we're gonna come out on fire. I can see us really stepping up and firing on all cylinders right out of the gate for this one.

I'm happy the boys get 2 days off to rest and practice, but I'm already jonesing for Thursday like an addict

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Since the Bolts game was “must win”, and we didn’t win, I suppose we can discount the importance of the remaining schedule.

Sigh, and it was so much fun talking in these threads. :(

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Monday was the first game I managed to catch live at MTS centre this year (was at the Anaheim game on Black Friday in Anaheim). Boys looked real good. Gotta love Hellebuyck's calm, it radiates throughout the team. Even Tanev showed vast improvement in his angling.

Still don't think Tanev, Hendricks, Copp deserve to be guaranteed everyday players, these guys should be feeling heat and have to battle to stay in the lineup everyday.

Reactions: ps241 and SLAYER

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Granted I didn't see any of this years camp but the one before that I was there every day and it was very much downgraded from the whole mancamp year. And just anecdotally it seemed to me that this year was not a return to the man camp year type of camp. I think the players have just showed up at training camp in much better shape overall. So maybe there an "overtraining" offseason effect. But he's not mancamping the **** out of them IMO
I don't see a lot of evidence of the "man camp" after Maurice's first season. I think when he arrived he saw an amazing lack of commitment to fitness and made it a priority in year one. After that the team seams to have taken the message to heart lead by its top players. We won't know the end results until this team pushes well into a playoff run. I won't pin the 1st 2 games on the team being tired from camp. My take is it took them a couple of days to transition from saying this was the year to actually demonstrating it on the ice.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Since the Bolts game was “must win”, and we didn’t win, I suppose we can discount the importance of the remaining schedule.

Sigh, and it was so much fun talking in these threads. :(
Must win?
Unless it's the 7th game of the Stanley Cup fans should not worry about a must win.

Reactions: Guffman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Monday was the first game I managed to catch live at MTS centre this year (was at the Anaheim game on Black Friday in Anaheim). Boys looked real good. Gotta love Hellebuyck's calm, it radiates throughout the team. Even Tanev showed vast improvement in his angling.

Still don't think Tanev, Hendricks, Copp deserve to be guaranteed everyday players, these guys should be feeling heat and have to battle to stay in the lineup everyday.
I'd agree about Hendricks and Tanev, but I think Copp has been consistently good for long enough to have a solid roster spot.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd agree about Hendricks and Tanev, but I think Copp has been consistently good for long enough to have a solid roster spot.
Ray Ferraro calling Copp a (future) 20 goal scorer on 1290 today. Was pumping all the Jets' tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad