Blackhawks, Kings, & Penguins; which team makes it back to the Finals first?

Who gets back to the Finals first?

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Los Angeles Kings

• Pittsburgh Penguins

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
These three teams from 2010-2017 won every cup with only the 2011 Bruins as the exception.

Penguins still have a decent team, likely in the playoffs again this year. Crosby, Malkin, Letang obviously not getting any younger so if that window isn't closed already it likely shuts soon without much in the way of prospect depth. Probably still a playoff team this year and if they're healthy not a team to be looking past.

Kings have an interesting retool on the go, still a team largely led by their veterans but have a dearth of promising young players. Especially on the blueline. Their top picks up front of Turcotte, Vilardi, and Byfield haven't exactly lit it up yet and LA might need them to soon if they plan on competing with Kopitar and Doughty. Could see them on the playoff bubble this season but more likely to make it.

Blackhawks are in full on tank mode. Whatever Bowman's plan was it has failed. But they have the cleanest slate(as far as a team rebuilding goes) with only the Jones deal as being a major drawback after this season. They're looking to draft high in 2023 and if the hype is to be believed about that draft they could just be getting another Kane level talent.

Which team do you think makes it back to the Stanley Cup Finals first?

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Voted Blackhawks. It's going to take a while and may fail completely, but they are in a position to land some super high end talent to produce an elite core that will be a contender of the next generation.

The Kings, I don't see them becoming a contender with what they have now, although obviously even teams like Dallas or Montreal can make that finals run. The Pens feel like the least likely option, could potentially happen in the next 1-2 years but they are olllld and there hasn't been a team that old with any major success in the cap era at all.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pittsburgh.

I say they have one more run in them with this core.

And even if they somehow don't, you know they're due to draft their next 2 generational prospects in the next 2-3 years, so the wait shouldn't be long.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think the pens are going to do everything in their power to load up for one more run. See big moves coming still.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Went with Kings

They have nice crop of young talent on NHL roster and more coming and have made moves to strengthen team around them (Fiala trade)

Need to look for long-term solution in net soon though. I don't see Peterson as a viable #1 in NHL at this point going forward

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It’s close between Chicago or Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh because they could put it together for one more run this season or next. Chicago because they’re doing a true rebuild and could very well be adding Bedard/Michkov/Fantilli next year.

What LA is doing all but guarantees they won’t be in the finals any time soon.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kings, cause they were smart enough to start their rebuild/retool first.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Penguins were seven points back of the team that went to the Finals on their side, Tampa.

Kings were 20 back of Colorado, the Western Conference champs.

Blackhawks were 52 back of Colorado.

I know we're looking forward, but Pittsburgh still has a legit shot of making the Finals in the next couple of years. Kings more of an outside chance and the Hawks practically zero. If it goes beyond that then it's anyone's guess.

My Best-Carey

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
While I do think the Pens could put together a run over the next few years, I think the Kings are set up nicely and will break out soon.
The more I think of it, I'm not sure how the Kings are going to acquire elite talent after Kopitar and Doughty decline. They have good young players, but I'm not sure who the guy to lift them to an elite team would be.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins are the most likely in the short term while the Kings are the most likely in the long term. I'd go with the Kings just because they'll have more chances to go for the cup due to the age of the Penguins core.

The Penguins have maybe 2 or 3 legitimate playoff appearances left. The Kings should have way more and should be getting better.

Reactions: Beau Knows

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Pens have one, maybe two runs left but after that they’re done for a while unless they have two franchise level players land in their lap again.

Hawks seem to have no idea what the hell they’re doing

Kings seem pretty set up for a while and I really like what they have as long as they can develop Byfield into what some people think he can be (personally I think he’s not a great prospect).

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think this Pens group has one more run.

LA looks like a good pick, and they probably have the easiest route to the finals. But once the clock strikes midnight on Kopitar/Doughty/Quick they're in big trouble. So far all the top picks aren't looking good, and most of the secondary pieces were acquired via trade/free agency (Iafallo, Fiala, Danault, Arvidsson, Moore, Durzi). Even Kempe and Roy were drafted when the Kings were fresh off the cup wins.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Went with LA. If I was a betting man I’d break it down as these percentages

LA - 65% as they are really the only team of the 3 I expect to be relevant in 5 years. Also think if there’s any division you want to be in to get by the first two rounds, it’s the Pacific. Oilers and Flames are good but still have exploitable flaws. If they get past them then all they have to do is upset a round in the WCF and they’re in. Easier said than done ofc, but I can see the Central teams beating each other up. Maybe someone does them a favor and upsets Colorado or St Louis

Penguins -20% though the window is closing and the East has gotten scary good, they may have one last miracle run in them.

Blackhawks -15% scorched earth rebuilds can take close to a decade but they may land a generational talent next draft that could expedite the process. Also a chance that even if they take a decade neither of the others have made it

Last edited:

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I can maaaybe see the Pens crack the Conference Finals in one last run for the Crosby-Malkin era, but that’s as far as they get.

Kings in the SCF in five years seems like a real possibility. They have such a deep young roster in their system.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like Pens have to do it in the next year or two if at all so went with them

Kings might have a slightly longer 'window' but I just dont' see it yet

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
None anytime soon.

Best chancee would be Hawks because I think like they are going in the right direction, even if there's a long way to go. Pittsburgh is really close to a long rebuild. Kings are stagnant.

• Haha
Reactions: ibleedkings

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Penguins would’ve beat the Rangers this playoffs if Crosby didn’t get Injured. And would’ve beat the Islanders the year before if Jarry didnt choke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad