Horse Racing: $5.7 million bet at Penn obliterates track record, Frankie Dettori wins both major stakes; Belmont Stakes to be drawn Monday

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
i thought your brittany nipped my 6 horse at the wire on the last race of the card.
Is that "your" horse? I didn't know you ran in Maryland. Congrats either way. Maybe the best race of the day.

This was the most frustrating for me: I needed her 9 up for third (24-to-1 with 1 MTP from what I recall, off at 15-to-1). The 9 was off the screen more than once but finished within a nostril of third as part of a tri. Approx $300. Watch the nine in this race.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friday, May 17, 2024

Pimlico (Maryland):
  • Card: 100th edition of the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes. Six of the 14 races were stakes.
  • Handle: A record-setting handle of $28.4 million+ of which about $3.5 million was bet on the feature.
  • Leading Jockey: Jorge Ruiz had the riding triple.
  • Leading Trainer: Cherie DeVaux, a protege of future Hall-of-Famer Chad Brown, sent three horses to Maryland and each was a winner.
  • Race 10: Mystic Lake (Flavien Prat/Saffie Joseph) romped in the $150,000 Grade 3 Miss Preakness.

• Race 12: Pyrenees (Brian Hernandez, Jr./Cherie DeVaux) won the $250,000 Grade 3 Pimlico Special.

• Race 13: Gun Song (John Velazquez/Mark Hennig) won the $300,000 Grade 2 Black-Eyed Susan. The 3-year-old daughter of the tremendous Gun Runner was purchased for $400,000. She is 6 3-1-1 lifetime.

• Race 14: Wow Whata Summer (Jorge Ruiz/James Lawrence) won the finale by a nose in perhaps the most electrifying race of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Is that "your" horse? I didn't know you ran in Maryland. Congrats either way. Maybe the best race of the day.

This was the most frustrating for me: I needed her 9 up for third (24-to-1 with 1 MTP from what I recall, off at 15-to-1). The 9 was off the screen more than once but finished within a nostril of third as part of a tri. Approx $300. Watch the nine in this race.

oh no i'm not an owner, just some small time bettor from nyc. working at home the path to 5pm punchout was slow so i figured why not try pimlico today.

that's a tough one. the jock on the 10 horse was going hard as russell on your 9.

brittany has potential to be one of the great trainers, whether male or female. i think the only female trainer that has ever handled about the same volume of horses is linda rice, and i think brittany may already have eclipsed her in many levels.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
oh no i'm not an owner, just some small time bettor from nyc. working at home the path to 5pm punchout was slow so i figured why not try pimlico today.

that's a tough one. the jock on the 10 horse was going hard as russell on your 9.

brittany has potential to be one of the great trainers, whether male or female. i think the only female trainer that has ever handled about the same volume of horses is linda rice, and i think brittany may already have eclipsed her in many levels.
Nice. I thought you had horses in New York. Good hit. Maryland racing has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. Today is going to be more difficult with the weather being uncooperative. Here's wishing good profits for handicappers, fun and entertainment to be maximized and safety and success to all involved in the sport.

Brittany Russell is an outsider from PA who trained under Brad Cox, Jimmy Jerkens, Ron Moquett and Hall of Famer Jonathan Sheppard (who passed last year). Good schooling. Her story caught my eye from the early stages which isn't uncommon when handicapping and seeing a newbie. Remember, some trainers are active in their 80s and a few in their 90s. Plenty will get their starts in the smaller and midlevel markets rather than the big leagues. She eventually married Sheldon. The bubbling of a youthful trainer has grown to someone who is now in the early stages of something stronger. While Maryland isn't New York, Kentucky or Florida, she has extended her portfolio slightly. Their children are frequently in the winner's circle and it wasn't uncommon, when they were smaller, to see her hold one of them while tending to the immediacy of trainer obligations.

She seems composed and in interviews has always praised her staff including riders (husband or Jevian Toledo are the go-to jocks -- same agent). She let her body of work sell itself. Getting players like Mike Repole is significant. As far as gender, she has seemingly downplayed the comparisons. While the most prominent of US races have limited field sizes, there are plenty of stakes that have female trainers and jocks throughout the year. Big-time owners tend to have comfort zones with trainers and it can be tough to crack that shell (Seth Klarman/Klaravich Stables with Chad Brown for instance) and that can be understandable when someone plops $400,000 for a foal or yearling.

Linda Rice, as you mentioned, is from a large and growing racing family and being in New York and for many years, she is well-known. Kathleen O'Connell recently broke the record for most wins by a female trainer, a career that began in Michigan (a state now void of the sport) but rose to prominence in the great state of Florida where she has built countless connections through the years.

Racing isn't a pretty sport when the cameras aren't rolling. Having spoken to an abundance of insiders through the years, and having many as friends, the stories are bewildering. Being in sometimes cold places at 4:00 a.m. with a horse, having your staff caring for an animal 24 hours, cleaning stalls and all that comes with that responsibility, training, dealing with jockeys, agents, owners and them with trainers, the competition is mind-boggling. No guaranteed contracts in the sport. Teammates last minutes not years. One race the jockey is riding for you as a trainer, the next race, he or she is the opposition. It is a very complex sport and unique in some areas.

Horse racing gets stigmatized in certain segments or is totally avoided. There are many exceptional stories and that of the Russells is ongoing, to win Maryland titles, to come from scratch and elevate. I think her story would be beneficial nationwide and certainly in other quarters it would be household by now. However, the "less-is-more" standard can be applied as well. The average sports fan knows Bob Baffert and probably everyone else is in the backseat.

With HISA's (fed gvt.) involvement, trainers' careers are under microscopes and the recent situation with George Weaver in New York (potential two-year suspension) -- popular and seemingly with little shady history -- has intensified an already tough business with medications and over usage in some quarters. X (Twitter) has been on fire with this situation and an owner-baseball player Alex Bregman (I don't follow baseball too closely but his account has been forwarded to me) has been among the most vocal in support of Weaver and critical of the suspension.

Back to Russell, and with all trainers, some will touch the border of maximum allowance and some will overstep it but the fear now is the slightest oversight can damage a person. Ultimately trainers are and always have been responsible for their barns. There are already a few doubters on places like X but that is not unsurprising as everyone from Karl Broberg to Cox have faced with their successes on differing levels. I think she is a superstar and have said so for a while but even superstars falter.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Wesley Ward's remarkable numbers in 2024:

CategoryStartsW-P-S
(1st-2nd-3rd)
PercentageLifetime Pct.
2-year-olds2011-1-055%24%
1st-Timers3816-5-342%25%

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
California updates:
  • Northern Cal: Alameda County Fair to run in Pleasanton from June 14 through July 7. The fair tracks will conduct racing for the rest of the calendar year.
  • Southern Cal: Los Angeles County Fair to run a daytime race meet at Los Alamitos Race Course from June 22 through July 7.
  • Southern Cal: Del Mar will open July 20 and run into early September.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
TELEVISION COVERAGE FOR RACING TODAY (May 18):

"America's Day at the Races"12:30 p.m.-5 p.m.FS2
Live coverage of horse racing from Pimlico1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.CNBC and Peacock
Broadcast of the Preakness Stakes4:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.NBC and Peacock
Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesFanDuel TV
"America's Day at the Races" broadcast of harness racing from The Meadowlands9 p.m.-11 p.m.FS2
Live coverage of horse racingpost time variesRacetrack Television Network

PREAKNESS STAKES
  • What: The second leg of the Triple Crown
  • Site: Pimlico Race Course, Baltimore, MD.
  • Date: Saturday, May 18, 2024.
  • Edition: 149th.
  • Cheat Sheet: 2024 Preakness Stakes Cheat Sheet: Get to Know the Horses
  • Network TV and Streaming:
    • CNBC and Peacock 1:30 pm ET
    • NBC and Peacock at 4:30 pm ET
    • FanDuel (formerly TVG) -- racing from multiple tracks

RacePurseRace TypeDistanceSurfaceStartersEst. Post
1$52,000Maiden Special Weight5 FTurf1010:30 AM ET
2$54,000Allowance1 1/16 MTurf1011:05 AM ET
3$54,000Allowance6 FDirt711:41 AM ET
4$100,000Skipat S.6 FDirt712:16 PM ET
5$52,000Maiden Special Weight5 FTurf1112:51 PM ET
6$200,000Chick Lang S.6 FDirt81:28 PM ET
7$100,000Gallorette S.1 1/16 MTurf92:08 PM ET
8$100,000Maryland Sprint S.6 FDirt72:48 PM ET
9$100,000James W. Murphy S.1 MTurf123:30 PM ET
10$100,000Sir Barton S. sponsored by Brandon and Diannah Perry to Benefit The Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance1 1/16 MDirt104:10 PM ET
11$100,000Jim McKay Turf Sprint S.5 FTurf124:53 PM ET
12$500,000Dinner Party S.1 1/8 MTurf125:52 PM ET
13$2,000,000Preakness S.1 3/16 MDirt97:01 PM ET
14$58,000Allowance Optional Claiming1 1/16 MDirt77:43 PM ET

Jockeys in the Preakness:

NameAgePlace of Birth
Joe Bravo52New Jersey
Frankie Dettori53Italy
Tyler Gaffalione29Florida
Brian Hernandez, Jr.38Louisiana
Juan Hernandez32Mexico
Irad Ortiz, Jr.31Puerto Rico
Flavien Prat31France
Joel Rosario39Dominican Republic
Jaime Torres25Puerto Rico

Last edited:
  • Love

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
interesting....
7-5 exacta will pay less than a 7-1 finish.
sheldon and britt are going to hold a big big party tonight.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hubby-wife finish 1-2 , a rare competition, race 3. Bob Baffert went off even money and finished third. Russells beat Baffert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad