Black defencemen, centremen and coaches in NHL history

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Tony McKegney was a C/LW, though he mostly played LW in the NHL. Anson Carter came up as a center, but was moved to the wing by I believe Washington.

As for defensemen, J.L. Grand Pierre, Sean Brown, Trevor Daley, Bryce Salvador, Jason Doig.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
And, off the top of my head, Jean-Luc Grand Pierre plays defence.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
dafoomie said:
Tony McKegney was a C/LW, though he mostly played LW in the NHL. Anson Carter came up as a center, but was moved to the wing by I believe Washington.

Manny Malhotra too, I think.

Transported Upstater

Chooch, I am not sure of your point.

But if your point is what I think it is, you deserve to get banned for it.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Hoser said:
Sean Brown is black?
Surprisingly enough, yes. I think he's only half, but apparently its enough to qualify.

Dirk Graham is I think half black, or at least "of African descent". He was a center, and was also the head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks.

chooch*

darkboy said:
He's not black... he's half Indian (as in India)...

Youre right. Very few Indians in the NHL (Bawa?) or CFL.

My point is why is it so low historicly?

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
... in the States. I would think black Canadians are substantially no less interested in hockey than any other ethnicity.

And when you start doing the math it makes sense that there are only a handful of black NHL players historically. If you believe this source: www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmhockey1.html, blacks made up only 0.02% of Canadians in 1971. Roughly 22,000,000 Canadians means roughly 4400 blacks. Let's say there were roughly 300 NHL players at the time, 95% of them Canadian, so that leaves 285 Canadians, or roughly 1 NHL player out of 77,200 Canadians.

Fast forward to today: 33,000,000 Canadians, 2% (~660,000) of them black. Roughly 400 Canadian NHLers, good for 1 in 82,500 Canadians. Proportionally, that's 8 blacks in the NHL.

Matsi

got paws?
Mar 22, 2005
Chiricahua Mountains
Hoser said:
Grant Fuhr is the Coyotes' goaltending coach.

He's also part Native American, according to nativehockey.com

isn't Boston's Nathan Robinson a center? And prospects Yared Hagos and Anthony Stewart? As for blueliners, Dustin Byfuglien and Shawn Belle (prospect), John Oduya (prospect) Sean McMorrow (prospect) and Francis Bouillon who's obviously of mixed blood. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->