Bizarre list of best junior hockey players who never made it

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
So I came across this strange webpage with a list of junior hockey players who never made it. Still not sure how I found it.

It appears to be some bizarre mix of fact and fiction. Like an AI hallucination on an old internet page. Makes you wonder who would write this and then host it for years.

I'm not sure who, if anyone, #4 and #7 are based on. Maybe Gord Kluzak and Angelo Esposito?

Reactions: seventieslord

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: David Suzuki

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
#9 is based on Mario Lemieux who really, really made it.
Yeah, but the career stats listed are from Mario's brother Alain.

It's fractally stupid...the closer you look the more detailed stupid you see.

Apologies for the brain cells wasted on this lol.

Reactions: seventieslord

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
So when I saw the threat title I am thinking, alright, some names off the top of my head of stellar juniors who tore it up but never got anywhere in the NHL. Corey Locke, Peter Sarno, Simon Gamache, Ramzi Abid and even Sheldon Keefe. But yeah, I wasn't expecting this sort of....................."list"(?)

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I just clicked the link OP had listed before reading anything else. Good Lord was I ever confused by some of those 'players' I'd never heard of. Thought I was going crazy when google searches came up nil. :laugh: Bizarre list indeed.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
#7 on this list, Paul Lisi was apparently so lazy that "he was often critisized for his lack of effort by QMJHL officials". Even the refs were on his case?

I wish the stripes would start ripping on Pierre Luc Dubois, that might be just what he needs to get out of the Loaf Zone.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
So, if you remove the page name in the address bar, it's the (cheap and outdated) website for a talent agency in Montreal, focusing on voiceover talent (an industry I'm tangentially involved with, I've never heard of them). Google Maps appears to think this is a real company with a real address in that city, but says their closed. None of the bios or company information on the site makes reference to any year later than 2005, and there are no references in the hockey article in question to any year later than 2007.
My guess is that someone "wrote" (read, copied and swapped out some details) a script for a voiceover demo in a sports infotainment style (think of the Icethetics videos Chris Smith makes), and left it in a supposedly unreachable spot on their website just to store it somewhere. This would be before CMSs like Wordpress got flexible enough to form the backbone of webdesign in general, so they don't have a proper way to leave this thing in draft. Company goes belly up, they forget about it, and someone's credit card is still getting autorenewed for the hosting to this day.
I sort of want to find some way to work AI into the explanation here, but the 2007 of it all is making me think of good ol' human laziness.
How overpass found it is a little bewildering, as I don't think Reisler Talent is investing much in their SEO.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
How overpass found it is a little bewildering, as I don't think Reisler Talent is investing much in their SEO.

I can't say exactly, but I was searching Google's newspaper archive and reading old articles about Rob Brown (prompted by another thread here). And I searched a couple of other 80s junior superstars like Guy Rouleau and Dale Derkatch. One of the searches must have been targeted enough to allow this page to bubble up near the surface.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad