BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
We literally don't know anything about the game beyond the heavily scripted and contrived trailer at E3. To call it a Destiny clone at this moment is beyond premature. Destiny is a horrible experience single-player, and Bungie was always a multiplayer focused company. Bioware has made one multiplayer focused game (and it was an MMO). I'm quite skeptical, especially after a very good writer left the project, but little is more illogical than calling a game a flop, a bust, or a clone, when we don't even know what the game is going to actually look like.

They didn't take resources away from Mass Effect. All of the talent that was responsible for Mass Effect essentially got replaced. And by replaced I mean Bioware hired a bunch of social justice warriors and "feminists" who got them fired or they quit to start their own companies after seeing what was about to happen. Which is something that has been happening all throughout the gaming industry over the past few years.

It's comments like these give people who play video games a bad name.

No, the team that did Mass Effect was assigned to Anthem after DA:I came out, and a team with limited experience was assigned to make the new Mass Effect, and the experienced content designers and programmers they did have were slowly pulled back to Edmonton to work on Anthem. None of which was necessarily Bioware's choice.

Reactions: JBeast and NyQuil

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Lots of outlets weren't impressed by the trailer demo at EA play, but when they got to play it behind closed doors they did a 180 on it and became really pumped for it. I find it weird that they didn't show said demo to the public though, and we're only 8 months from launch. In total they've showed like 5 minutes of footage.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I'll probably try this out using Origin Premier first, and if I like it enough I'll buy it. I'd rather be safe at first, even if it may end up costing me a bit more in the end.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Lots of outlets weren't impressed by the trailer demo at EA play, but when they got to play it behind closed doors they did a 180 on it and became really pumped for it. I find it weird that they didn't show said demo to the public though, and we're only 8 months from launch. In total they've showed like 5 minutes of footage.

It's bizarrely under-marketed for an EA title, which makes me a little nervous considering blowing their budget on marketing and then complaining how much games cost to make is pretty much an EA staple at this point. :laugh:

I'll probably try this out using Origin Premier first, and if I like it enough I'll buy it. I'd rather be safe at first, even if it may end up costing me a bit more in the end.

Agreed, although I may opt for just normal Origin Access at first, unless they're removing the 10-hour trial for new games that comes with it.

Either way, Premier is a good deal until it evens out at the ~4 months mark, and then gets worse after that. Even if I enjoy it, I don't know that I'll be playing for 4 months. We'll see!

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Agreed, although I may opt for just normal Origin Access at first, unless they're removing the 10-hour trial for new games that comes with it.

Either way, Premier is a good deal until it evens out at the ~4 months mark, and then gets worse after that. Even if I enjoy it, I don't know that I'll be playing for 4 months. We'll see!
From my understanding you can play the entire game with premiere. No 10 hour window limit.
Although now that you mention it, just doing Origin Access might be a little better in some ways. I'm not sure if I'll need 10+ hours to decide if I want to pick up a game or not :laugh: I should know within that time frame. Or hopefully at least. Still have a while to go though to decide.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

The entire E3 demo the press played or close to it. It's a Destiny clone. Game will live and die by the quality of the writing and how much there is to do.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I'd probably enjoy a Destiny clone that had a great campaign. Heck, Destiny 2, while not the world's best campaign, is quite fun to go through with a buddy.

My hopes aren't high, but I'd loved to be pleasantly surprised.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've never played any games of the modern 'Destiny' genre so I'm not clear on some of the specific details, but what I'm getting from Anthem it looks like they're setting it up like the first Guild Wars game? Where you have MMO hubs in cities and the like but for the story and heading out into the world/missions you get your own local version shared with whatever party members you bring with you. I think that would actually work pretty well here.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I've never played any games of the modern 'Destiny' genre so I'm not clear on some of the specific details, but what I'm getting from Anthem it looks like they're setting it up like the first Guild Wars game? Where you have MMO hubs in cities and the like but for the story and heading out into the world/missions you get your own local version shared with whatever party members you bring with you. I think that would actually work pretty well here.

A little different than that, the hubs are single player only and you won't see other players in them. Like ever. They've expressly said it's not a MMO.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
That clip kind of reminded me of the Division as well and I absolutely hated that game. The bullet spongeyness + the combo attack against large groups of CPU minions is what's doing it I think. Looks like a game I'd have fun playing with friends but not otherwise.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
It's sad to see BioWare going this direction, but I'm guessing a lot of the core folks that were around in their top RPG days are no longer there?

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It's sad to see BioWare going this direction, but I'm guessing a lot of the core folks that were around in their top RPG days are no longer there?

Agreed. I really, really hope it's good but I'm pessimistic at best.

Between the head honchos leaving and (one assumes) EA's directive towards the "games as a live service" craze, I'm starting to fear the BioWare I knew and loved is gone.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Fingers crossed they can do something, because they are supposed to be announcing something Dragon Age related this month (please not card game, please not card game, please not card game). If they could get the magic they had with DA: Origins, I'd be thrilled.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Fingers crossed they can do something, because they are supposed to be announcing something Dragon Age related this month (please not card game, please not card game, please not card game). If they could get the magic they had with DA: Origins, I'd be thrilled.

Oh really? Please DA4, and a good one....

My heart says awesome RPG, but my head says mobile game. :laugh::(

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I feel like the timing isn't right to be announcing a DA4 yet. Anthem hasn't even released yet, not sure why they'd get aware from the hype. Maybe a PS4/XBO Origins remaster or something?

Hmm fair point, but then again I don't think these big publishers fully understand hype or how to harness it properly. :laugh:

That said, I'd almost certainly buy an Origins remaster if it came to PC (as I am currently without a console). What a great game that was, but it feels pretty dated now.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Hmm fair point, but then again I don't think these big publishers fully understand hype or how to harness it properly. :laugh:

That said, I'd almost certainly buy an Origins remaster if it came to PC (as I am currently without a console). What a great game that was, but it feels pretty dated now.
I played it for the first time a few months ago. It should be one of the gold standards as far as RPGs go. Absolutely loved it.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

I heard the same (About Dragon Age 4 rumors), they did get some momentum back with DAI, but I don't think they'll ever touch their previous success unfortunately. Their peak was pretty much the Mass Effect Trilogy and Dragon Age Origins, anything before that was pretty much a build up, and anything after is the decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad