BioWare's Anthem (PC/XB/PS)

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
LOL Yeah... That's um....
Most games aren't No Mans Sky. Besides, this is a AAA publisher and production. Not a couple dudes in their basement.

I am saying this as someone who put over 100 hours into NMS and actually really liked the game.

I think he's referencing Destiny's development. A lot of what was shown in the Anthem trailer was similar to what was shown in the first Destiny e3 gameplay. However the developmental hell that happened at Bungie then is unlikely to happen to Bioware at this point imo so they should be able to deliver.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
As a fan of both Destiny and The Division, a cross between the two sounds great to me :) I know it's not for everyone, but I think it looks pretty great honestly.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
As a fan of both Destiny and The Division, a cross between the two sounds great to me :) I know it's not for everyone, but I think it looks pretty great honestly.

It will come down to writing+storytelling+encounter design for me. I cant stand the bullet sponge enemies in Destiny and especially the Division, where it's very immersion breaking.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It LOOKS very nice but I'm seeing tons of comments on the gameplay video that say it won't look that pretty when it officially drops, plus I have no idea if it will be better than Destiny but when I saw it, it was the first thing that came to mind. Would check it out on PC if it gets good reviews. Definitely looks cool.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It LOOKS very nice but I'm seeing tons of comments on the gameplay video that say it won't look that pretty when it officially drops, plus I have no idea if it will be better than Destiny but when I saw it, it was the first thing that came to mind. Would check it out on PC if it gets good reviews. Definitely looks cool.

Maybe not, but this is Bioware's main team. I don't really remember a game of there's that has looked worse after intial videos.The real concern should be if it actually has a story. I can't imagine Bioware would ever make a multiplayer focused game where the story was an afterthought.

What makes me hopeful is Drew Karpyshyn is back at Bioware, and he's on the Anthem team. He was a senior writer for most of Bioware's games before Mass Effect 3 (Baldur's Gate II, NWN, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2, and SWTOR). Notably, he was the writing lead for ME1 and ME2. All of those games have excellent stories and character development. He also wrote the Darth Bane trilogy, which is probably the best piece of writing in the Star Wars EU, and Disney canonized Karpyshyn's Bane in their animated series.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I think he's referencing Destiny's development. A lot of what was shown in the Anthem trailer was similar to what was shown in the first Destiny e3 gameplay. However the developmental hell that happened at Bungie then is unlikely to happen to Bioware at this point imo so they should be able to deliver.

I didn't quote the video showing NMS footage of what was shown vs what we got. That's what I was replying to. I just hate quoting video's if my reply is close to it or on the same page. So I just quoted the text.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
this is my early pick for flop of 2018

It's not going to flop. The Division didn't flop and it was a shallow multiplayer 3PS. If this is a Destiny/Division clone, it won't be the "Dylan" of video games like Casey wanted but it'll be a commercial success. If it manages to be a true Bioware game (and the main team has never made a flop), it'll be great.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Bioware has been doing RPG's for a lot longer than the companies people are comparing this game to and they have made more than just a few amazing ones. I don't see how anyone can predict this as a flop and be serious about it.

They obviously put their A team on this game.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It's not going to flop. The Division didn't flop and it was a shallow multiplayer 3PS. If this is a Destiny/Division clone, it won't be the "Dylan" of video games like Casey wanted but it'll be a commercial success. If it manages to be a true Bioware game (and the main team has never made a flop), it'll be great.
Division is great.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Trailer seemed really manufactured, the cheesy fake chat dialogue doesn't help.

I trust Bioware, but I'm not sold yet

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Drew Karpyshyn leaves Bioware, again

Leaves me a little worried. We never really knew what Karpyshyn's role was on Anthem, but given he was a lead writer on Mass Effect, Dragon Age, SWTOR, and KOTOR, it's hard to imagine it was anything but a major road. Bioware's GM says that Karpyshyn finished his work on the game before he quit, although we shouldn't necessarily trust it. On Karpyshyn's part, he said he quit because he liked to be able to do his own thing, but obviously wasn't allowed to work on non-EA video game projects as an employee of EA. He's doing consulting and freelance work now, probably will write another book.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It will come down to writing+storytelling+encounter design for me. I cant stand the bullet sponge enemies in Destiny and especially the Division, where it's very immersion breaking.
I cannot stand bullet sponges, make the game more challenging, don't make me use better guns and more bullets to kill someone.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Maybe now it's good, but it was far from it at launch.
it was great at launch too.

I enjoyed it immensely for a few months, which is all I can handle with those types of games where you grind the same missions over and over. It held my attention and even stole me away from RB6 siege for a few months.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
it was great at launch too.

I enjoyed it immensely for a few months, which is all I can handle with those types of games where you grind the same missions over and over. It held my attention and even stole me away from RB6 siege for a few months.

And whether it's good or not that's the type of game Bioware is making here, and with these types of games that require heavy time investments the individual player typically picks one and sticks with it. So then even if it's a game made by Bioware it's an extremely very crowded market right now.

More than anything that should contribute to the potential flop status. The novelty will certainly get an initial surge of players but it's going to have to be really really good to stand above the rest of the market to keep them.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For me I won't getting this game because they took resources away from ME to pump into this which looks like a Destiny clone. I was ok with Destiny but my being upset with how Bioware screwed over ME fans for this will never allow me to support this game.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Curious to see the level of micro-transactions that EA will implement in this game, considering the backlash from
SWBF2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think this game is doomed.

In a genre that's famous for never having enough content by a company(EA) that's famous for never having enough content.

I expect a boom for the first month and then a steep drop-off.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
the game looks really interesting, but the scope of the trailer is so large you just know the real game is going to be nothing like it. I kind of look at monster hunter. Very small scope. Hunting a rare monster in a handcrafted arena, which up until now was split up into several loading screens.

The scope of the trailer is basically 10 times what monster hunter is, which doesn't necessarily mean better

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
For me I won't getting this game because they took resources away from ME to pump into this which looks like a Destiny clone. I was ok with Destiny but my being upset with how Bioware screwed over ME fans for this will never allow me to support this game.
They didn't take resources away from Mass Effect. All of the talent that was responsible for Mass Effect essentially got replaced. And by replaced I mean Bioware hired a bunch of social justice warriors and "feminists" who got them fired or they quit to start their own companies after seeing what was about to happen. Which is something that has been happening all throughout the gaming industry over the past few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad