Biographies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I am a college student and need to find a biography of a sports hero and write a paper on the individual, the only requirement is the individual can no longer be living. I am looking for an individual who is appealing not only on the ice, but off it with his family life, etc. You guys have anyone in mind or any biographies? Thanks in advance!!!

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Eddie Shore. If you need help, read Don Cherry's "auto"biography "Grapes", along with one of the greatest sports books ever "Empty Net" by George Plimpton. Both have numerous stories of the horrible Shore years in Springfield. Just like in "Slap Shot".

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Darz said:
Ken Dryden
Darz, althought Dryden is still alive, his autobiography will blow any piece of work any other athlete has ever wrote out of the water. His book is easily the best sports book of all time imo.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
adammacisaac said:
Darz, althought Dryden is still alive, his autobiography will blow any piece of work any other athlete has ever wrote out of the water. His book is easily the best sports book of all time imo.

Alot of people share that opinion with you. I definately think it is in the top 5-10 books I've ever read.

Another NHL'ers book that I found amazing was 'The Hammer' by Dave Shultz. I had the pleasure of talking to him about it many years back when he was coaching in the UHL.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A man who I can't inagine getting through a day without, Tim Horton(RIP).

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Herb Carnegie - A Fly in a Pail of Milk

Story of an exceptional man denied his shot at the highest levels of hockey as a result of his skin colour. Played as part of an all-black forward line in the old QSHL, later a teammate of Jean Beliveau's in Quebec.

A man held in highest esteem by anyone who has crossed his path, on the rink or off. Also a man who has given back more to the community than can probably be accurately measured through the Future Aces Foundation.

Now 87 and blind, Mr. Carnegie still visits schools promoting scholarship, inclusion, effort and social responsibility.

If character is the measure of a man, Herb Carnegie is a giant.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
justsomeguy said:
Herb Carnegie - A Fly in a Pail of Milk

Story of an exceptional man denied his shot at the highest levels of hockey as a result of his skin colour. Played as part of an all-black forward line in the old QSHL, later a teammate of Jean Beliveau's in Quebec.

A man held in highest esteem by anyone who has crossed his path, on the rink or off. Also a man who has given back more to the community than can probably be accurately measured through the Future Aces Foundation.

Now 87 and blind, Mr. Carnegie still visits schools promoting scholarship, inclusion, effort and social responsibility.

If character is the measure of a man, Herb Carnegie is a giant.

We always debate on this board the merits of players as to whether they do or don`t belong in the Hall of Fame, but very little is said about the builders category. I think Mr. Carnegie would be a fine candidate to be inducted into the Hall as a builder. Not only to somewhat right the wrong of his not being given the chance to play in the NHL, but also in recognition of his selfless work after his playing days were over.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
"There are men enshrined in the Hockey Hall of Fame that don't deserve to carry Herbie's skates."

- Red Storey

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Yes, Red is still with us. He has been in poor health recently, however. Was hospitalized for quite some time but have heard that he is back home.

Had the pleasure of a two-hour chat with him a few years ago. Well, it was a sort of one-sided conversation. He's a great interview subject, just wind him up and let him go. Loved his characterization of Clarence Campbell. Unfortunately it cannot be repeated here without using alternate symbols.

800 of his closest friends turned out in early May for a fund-raising luncheon in his honour. The affair was MCed by Dick Irvin. Among the folks taking a turn at the mic were ex-NHL ref Wally Harris, Robin Burns, one of the funniest guys ever to play the game and now head man at ITECH, and kid brother George Storey.

A wonderful time was had by all. Even the food was good, amost as good as the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad