Prospect Info: Binghamton Devils and ECHL talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Idk why but from what I've seen Nathan Bastian, he seems like a player who isn't far away from being NHL ready. That he already has NHL size and strength. One year in the AHL at most, and he'll get time next year up here.
I'd like to see him have one high scoring season in the juniors before making the jump to the pros. Not talking about domination or anything, just stronger offensive numbers. I liked the Bastian pick from the moment it was made but there is absolutely no need to rush him. He has strength and size for sure but those are just attributes among others. Let him develop and learn to use the big frame he has to his advantage. I like his game but I'm not completely sold. Still a legit NHL prospect in my books.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nick Lappin is probably too good for the AHL.

Last 13 games
6 goals, 9 assists, 43 shots.

Also, Blackwood is approaching .900 territory

Oddly the injury to Bennett, and the resulting acquisition of Noesen may have squeezed Lappin out. At least temporarily.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd like to see him have one high scoring season in the juniors before making the jump to the pros. Not talking about domination or anything, just stronger offensive numbers. I liked the Bastian pick from the moment it was made but there is absolutely no need to rush him. He has strength and size for sure but those are just attributes among others. Let him develop and learn to use the big frame he has to his advantage. I like his game but I'm not completely sold. Still a legit NHL prospect in my books.

Ya his season, while solid, does not appear to be one that says he needs to be in the pros next year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oddly the injury to Bennett, and the resulting acquisition of Noesen may have squeezed Lappin out. At least temporarily.

You think Parenteau is going to be here the whole season?

Shero did a pretty good job addressing the right wing in a short amount of time... I will give him that

Palmieri, Noesen, Parenteau, Stempniak, Bennett, DSP, Lappin

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

He ain't playing in juniors next year. Blackwood should have though. I think Bastians a sure thing for the NHL but is it as a 4th liner or 2nd liner.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
You think Parenteau is going to be here the whole season?

Shero did a pretty good job addressing the right wing in a short amount of time... I will give him that

Palmieri, Noesen, Parenteau, Stempniak, Bennett, DSP, Lappin

Palmieri is one of my favorite trades we've made since i started watching in 1994. Noesen is also going to be a solid player for us.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Nick Lappin is probably too good for the AHL.

Last 13 games
6 goals, 9 assists, 43 shots.

Also, Blackwood is approaching .900 territory

He'll be back soon.

I'd imagine before the trade deadline he will get his second redemption and depending on how well he, Bennett, and Noesen are playing then Parenteau will likely be a goner.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I think it needs to be NHL to burn the ELC? Thus Wood and Santini last year in NJ.

Where as Rantanen spent a full year in the AHL last year and did not burn his ELC.

I think.

The rules aren't quite that simple but you're close.

Players who sign their ELC at age 18 or 19 are eligible for their ELC to slide 1-2 years if they don't play 10 NHL games. Rantanen (drafted from Europe and thus eligible for the AHL) had his contract slide as he signed it at age 18 and didn't play 10 NHL games. Zacha had the same thing happen as he signed his ELC at age 18 and didn't play 10 NHL games. Once you hit the 10 game mark, you burn a year off their ELC.. we did this a few years ago with Matteau which led to a whole host of problems with his waiver status.

If you don't sign at age 18 or 19, you are not eligible for the ELC to slide at all. This means that a year is burned regardless of whether the player plays a single NHL game. Wood and Santini both signed their 3-year ELC to start immediately so last year counted as their first year under contract, and would have even if they didn't play that single game. Jacobs, on the other hand, was 20 when he signed his ELC (so no slide) but his ELC didn't start until July 1st, i.e. this league year.. so this year is the first of his 3-year ELC. He wasn't eligible to play in the NHL but could just sign an ATO and play in the AHL, as he did.

So you can entice a college player to come out early by letting their ELC start immediately and burn up a year... they don't actually need to play a single game at all (so theoretically can sign their ELC on June 30th? not sure about that).

Same would apply for Kerfoot (who will be considered 23 whenever he signs his ELC this calendar year so he gets a 2-year ELC). He can sign his ELC when his season ends. If it starts immediately, he can play in the NHL or AHL (or not at all) and it will burn a year = 1 year ELC. If he signs his ELC to start next year, he can play in the AHL with an ATO = 2 year ELC. If he refuses to sign his ELC, he can sign with any team on August 15th.. but then would automatically have the full 2-year ELC.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Idk why but from what I've seen Nathan Bastian, he seems like a player who isn't far away from being NHL ready. That he already has NHL size and strength. One year in the AHL at most, and he'll get time next year up here.

Players who score under a PPG in their post post draft year are rarely NHL ready.

I have the opposite view on Bastian. He's a big body with decent tools, but a work in progress. He should marinate.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
For those who spend time watching the AHL games, how does Blackwood compare as a rookie? He must be one of the youngest goalies in the league. He seems to be doing well even though he's had some real bad outings.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For those who spend time watching the AHL games, how does Blackwood compare as a rookie? He must be one of the youngest goalies in the league. He seems to be doing well even though he's had some real bad outings.

He's been pretty solid of late.

He's a freak athletically, but the problems early on seemed to be about the nuances of his game. His positioning, staying tight when moving laterally, seeing pucks through screens and traffic, etc. Let in a lot of goals through him earlier in the year. His movements/reflexes are incredible, but I think he needed time to learn how to combine those tools with the above.

Been solid so far tonight. Only goal against was him getting beat high on a breakaway. He's made some tough saves and made them look easy.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He's been pretty solid of late.

He's a freak athletically, but the problems early on seemed to be about the nuances of his game. His positioning, staying tight when moving laterally, seeing pucks through screens and traffic, etc. Let in a lot of goals through him earlier in the year. His movements/reflexes are incredible, but I think he needed time to learn how to combine those tools with the above.

Been solid so far tonight. Only goal against was him getting beat high on a breakaway. He's made some tough saves and made them look easy.
Think Markstrom for Vancouver. He has at least another full season in the AHL and most likely 2.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Players who score under a PPG in their post post draft year are rarely NHL ready.

I have the opposite view on Bastian. He's a big body with decent tools, but a work in progress. He should marinate.

His +1 year is a little reminiscent of Q's. His #'s tailed off from his draft year, plus the injury.

Very much expect him back in Mississauga next year.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

I didn't say he was playing in the NHL next yearz. I said he'll play a full year in the AHL and get a call up for a few games. His size, skill and style make his game more pro ready than other player who might be putting up more points. Like a Gignac of a McLeod.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I didn't say he was playing in the NHL next yearz. I said he'll play a full year in the AHL and get a call up for a few games. His size, skill and style make his game more pro ready than other player who might be putting up more points. Like a Gignac of a McLeod.

I haven't watched him, but I have to wonder about his current skill level given the production. Seems to suggest he needs more development.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I haven't watched him, but I have to wonder about his current skill level given the production. Seems to suggest he needs more development.

As has been said, he was injured for a 10 game stretch where he put up very little points.

I'm not too concerned about Bastian's development. For whatever reason, bigger forwards like him just never seem to put up the same point totals as the smaller, skilled guys. Just look at Zacha, Simmonds, Jeff Carter, and I'm sure there are other cases. The guys that do usually end up being your elite talents like Benn; Bastian is still along a similar path to Simmonds right now.

Bastian's the type of player where I would say looking at the player is far more important than watching the numbers, especially at the junior level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->