Bill Watters on Leafs Lunch: Deal Today, Announcement Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbert*

Oh, right... because then he and his cronies can swoop in and reveal that these past few months of negotiations were all a big plot.

Look, dude, whoever told you that is probably laughing now. Vince Russo did not book these negotiations, and Goodenow isn't going to swerve us at the last second. It's getting done, and it's getting done the way the owners want, whether you like it or not.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is pure speculation on my part but him re-entering the talks yesterday or today, along with the rumors that he has not been involved in the deal making makes a lot of sense with regards to those two rumors. Legally, he still has to sign off on the deal and that would make sense for the him not being part of the deal rumor. And him rejoining the talks today or yesterday would be make sense for the rumor of the deal being done today.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
invader Zim said:
Would It Shock anyone? If with The Nhl Thinking It was almost all settled. Goodenow pulled out a deal buster.

No, why do I have the feeling the NHL is going to be setup again to look like idiots.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
chiavsfan said:
If he would try anything at this point, he would make the PA look even more foolish, not the NHL. Any move made at this point by Goodenow would kill the PA

I'm not so sure... I mean yes, the PA would look like idiots, but look at all the other things that would cascade on the NHL if Goodenow ground talks to a halt or made it so the terms are unacceptable. We could see the beginnings of lawsuits by the agents, re-opening of the procedings involving British Columbia and Quebec, and the general poisoning of the fans and the non-fan who just sits back and laughs at hockey. Beyond that some franchises would have to make some good long and hard looks in the mirror in terms of either caving in or pulling out of hockey (which would lead to more lawsuits). I don't see a pretty picture here and for those reasons Goodenow could exert the pressure without much an issue. To this point its been the resolve of the hockey fan behind the owners that has allowed this to go on as long as it has because we know that this will help hockey in general as it stops the arms buildups by the teams that can buy more. The PA could hold its position even if every paper in the nation was angry with them because unless they do something illegal or counter to labor laws. The key will be the players themselves. The owners answer to us, but the players answer to themselves.

I get this feeling that the union is trying to see if they can get the NHL to capitulate in some manner at this point.

chiavsfan

Sorry, it's either this way, or there will be no NHL. If Goodenow stalls the process this time around, and the season get cancelled, or starts late because of it...there is NO way the NHL would be able to bounce back. The PA would cease to be a union because there would be no league to play in.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Patman said:
I'm not so sure... I mean yes, the PA would look like idiots, but look at all the other things that would cascade on the NHL if Goodenow ground talks to a halt or made it so the terms are unacceptable. We could see the beginnings of lawsuits by the agents, re-opening of the procedings involving British Columbia and Quebec, and the general poisoning of the fans and the non-fan who just sits back and laughs at hockey. Beyond that some franchises would have to make some good long and hard looks in the mirror in terms of either caving in or pulling out of hockey (which would lead to more lawsuits). I don't see a pretty picture here and for those reasons Goodenow could exert the pressure without much an issue. To this point its been the resolve of the hockey fan behind the owners that has allowed this to go on as long as it has because we know that this will help hockey in general as it stops the arms buildups by the teams that can buy more. The PA could hold its position even if every paper in the nation was angry with them because unless they do something illegal or counter to labor laws. The key will be the players themselves. The owners answer to us, but the players answer to themselves.

I get this feeling that the union is trying to see if they can get the NHL to capitulate in some manner at this point.

Goodenow can do all that, but the NHL also has options too. Once Goodenow tries to stall negotiations, the NHL can turn around and say they agree to what Goodenow wants to hold out for, but the NHLPA will have to give back on other areas that may have been already agreed to (i.e. a lower cap number, more money from the players going to escrow...). If the stall by Goodenow is blatant enough, the NHL can decide to take their chances on impasse and see if the players want to vote down what has already been agreed to. The NHL could also say the season will not start until X days after the agreement is reached so they have time to go after more sponsors and get teams organized (decreasing the number of games played and the amount of salary players will be able to earn...). The NHL could also just decide to go the replacement player route since the PA is stalling and wait for the PA to get serious again.

Both sides have their options, but pretty much all of them do more harm to the players than they will benefit the players (if the season starts late and games are missed or the PA has to give back in other areas, is it worth it to hold out forwhat at this point is probably a minor concession?).

Easilee 27

Jun 24, 2003
Red Deer
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
If he would try anything at this point, he would make the PA look even more foolish, not the NHL. Any move made at this point by Goodenow would kill the PA

It would be called bad faith bargaining, and would open a whole bunch of legal avenues for the league.

GSC2k2*

LPHabsFan said:
This is pure speculation on my part but him re-entering the talks yesterday or today, along with the rumors that he has not been involved in the deal making makes a lot of sense with regards to those two rumors. Legally, he still has to sign off on the deal and that would make sense for the him not being part of the deal rumor. And him rejoining the talks today or yesterday would be make sense for the rumor of the deal being done today.
Legally speaking, he (Goodenow) would not have to sign the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad