Bill Daly – The NHL is Healthy

Fugu

I don't think the Levitt Report was ever re-calculated and re-issued, if that's what you mean. There would not be much point in it, since the numbers going forward are all that matters at this point.

No, I know the Levitt report itself was never adjusted nor re-issued. I recall seeing some newspaper reports that took into account all revenue sources and amounts per the requirements of the new CBA, then retroactively applied that to what was reported as revenue in the Levitt report. I guess I'll have to hunt around for that, but I thought the figures were in the $2.2-2.3 B range.

When you say "NBC", I assume you mean ABC? The hit was $42.5 million, assuming the ABC/ESPN and VS deals are evenly distributed in their respective terms of payment (which might very well be an incorrect assumption).

Thanks for the link. I also found this TSN.ca article via About.com that reviews the TV deals as they stood before the lockout. Yes, NBC offered the new revenue sharing deal after ABC declined to renew [I incorrectly referred to ABC as NBC].. And as you know, VS was selected over the ESPN offer after the lockout.

Excerpts from TSN (pre-lockout):

"The NHL's two-year deal with NBC is the same type of revenue-sharing agreement the network has with the Arena Football League. NBC will take the first chunk of income from advertising to cover production expenses, the NHL takes the next chunk and the two split additional revenue equally."

"It seems unlikely the league will recoup the $120 million US a season it made under the five-year, $600-million deal that expires with ABC/ESPN after the Stanley Cup final."

"As for cable, the league's new deal with ESPN also announced Wednesday is reportedly a one-year $60-million agreement for the 2004-05 season with ESPN also holding a two-year option worth $70 million a year for 2005-06 and 2006-07."

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

"Healthy and getting healthier" (???)

Wow. This REALLY depends on what your definition of "healthy" is.

What NBC games is he watching on the weekends?
Or what your defintion of "is" is:biglaugh:

It is Gary Bettman's New NHL - everything is always bright and sunny. Daly is just toeing the party line.

One of Bettman's "the game is fine" speeches drew this response from Allan Maki of the Toronto Globe and Mail:

"In other words, hockey is fine. Things are good. You see clouds and the perfect analogy, Bettman sees only what he wants to see. It’s always a wonderful life in Bettman’s world. Present population: one."

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
It never ceases to amaze me that there are people who think the leadership of the NHL should slag their own product.

Maybe, just maybe, the NHL *is* healthy? Or would considering that require you to take off your tinfoil hat?

Fugu

"Healthy and getting healthier" (???)

Wow. This REALLY depends on what your definition of "healthy" is.

What NBC games is he watching on the weekends?

Well, you do have to be carefull with what you read. The headline for the article makes the claim that the NHL is healthy. However when asked directly if the NHL is healthy, Daly has an interesting way of answering. Healthy and getting healthier. Well, okay I didn't think there were degrees in saying someone is 'healthy'. Either you are healthy, but if not, then you are unhealthy. So the league is already healthy but getting healthier. Then in the same paragraph, he qualifies his statement: the CBA has provided a foundation for clubs to "become healthy"..... so I guess they aren't really healthy yet, even though they are healthy. :sarcasm:

Fugu

Or what your defintion of "is" is:biglaugh:

It is Gary Bettman's New NHL - everything is always bright and sunny. Daly is just toeing the party line.

One of Bettman's "the game is fine" speeches drew this response from Allan Maki of the Toronto Globe and Mail:

"In other words, hockey is fine. Things are good. You see clouds and the perfect analogy, Bettman sees only what he wants to see. It’s always a wonderful life in Bettman’s world. Present population: one."

Just like Pleasantville.

Although, like Ike points out, there would be more concern if the league's execs routinely slagged their own product. They are promoting a business after all.

GSC2k2*

Well, you do have to be carefull with what you read. The headline for the article makes the claim that the NHL is healthy. However when asked directly if the NHL is healthy, Daly has an interesting way of answering. Healthy and getting healthier. Well, okay I didn't think there were degrees in saying someone is 'healthy'. Either you are healthy, but if not, then you are unhealthy. So the league is already healthy but getting healthier. Then in the same paragraph, he qualifies his statement: the CBA has provided a foundation for clubs to "become healthy"..... so I guess they aren't really healthy yet, even though they are healthy. :sarcasm:
Fugu, come on.

I didn't think there were degrees in saying someone is 'healthy'. Either you are healthy, but if not, then you are unhealthy.

????!?!!?

Someone can be in decent shape and disease-free and condition-free and be "healthy". A tri-athlete who is also free of disease or conditions is "healthier" by any sensible definition. "Healthy" is not the same type of word as "unique".

With this atempt to pick apart a word (and a failed one, at that), if I didn't know better I would think you were preparing to enter law school. ;)

Fugu

Fugu, come on.

????!?!!?

Someone can be in decent shape and disease-free and condition-free and be "healthy". A tri-athlete who is also free of disease or conditions is "healthier" by any sensible definition. "Healthy" is not the same type of word as "unique".

With this atempt to pick apart a word (and a failed one, at that), if I didn't know better I would think you were preparing to enter law school. ;)

Ah, you never let me have any fun. I simply couldn't resist, and if you were on the other side of the fence, you'd have to admit it just how irresistable a statement like that could be. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->