Biggest trade of all time (big name player (Hossa) for big name player (Heatley)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Just curious where the Hossa/Heatley trade may rank in terms of blockbuster trades?

I am looking for biggest names of players who have been in league more than 2 years each.

Don't respond saying:
Lindros - Forsberg/extras ...
Gretzky to La - forget who for .... but no big stars
Luongo/Jokinin - Parrish & whoever else..
Roy - Thibault & package

I am looking for strictly big name for big name who have been in the league more than 2 years.

I can't think of any huge trades like this off the top of my head where both teams trade superstars... I am really starting to like this new CBA :handclap:

The potential of both these stars could make it one of the biggest trades ever???

Thoughts anyone?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Lafontaine and Turgeon were traded for each other in 1991, and were both bonafide stars at the time

Ogopogo*

trahans99 said:
Just curious where the Hossa/Heatley trade may rank in terms of blockbuster trades?

I am looking for biggest names of players who have been in league more than 2 years each.

Don't respond saying:
Lindros - Forsberg/extras ...
Gretzky to La - forget who for .... but no big stars
Luongo/Jokinin - Parrish & whoever else..
Roy - Thibault & package

I am looking for strictly big name for big name who have been in the league more than 2 years.

I can't think of any huge trades like this off the top of my head where both teams trade superstars... I am really starting to like this new CBA :handclap:

The potential of both these stars could make it one of the biggest trades ever???

Thoughts anyone?

Gretzky for $15 million USD was huge. Factor in inflation and we are talking about probably $30 million or more in today's dollars.

Probably the biggest deal ever:

November 4, 1947

Max Bentley (Hart and Ross trophy winner) & Cyril Thomas to Toronto

Gaye Stewart (Calder Trophy winner & Hart Runner-up), Bud Poile, Gus Bodnar(Calder Trophy winner), Bob Goldham, Ernie Dickens to Chicago

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Flyers-Pens 1992 deal that sent multiple players in each direction: Tocchet to Pittsburgh -Recchi to Philly.

Flyers-Montreal 1995 deal that sent, among others, Desjardins/LeClair to Philly for Recchi.

Another that may or may not qualify: John Bucyk was sent from Detroit to Boston for Terry Sawchuk in 1957. Bucyk had two seasons under his belt at the time of the trade but I am not sure how big a name he was at the time.

Last edited:

Vic Rattlehead*

acr said:
Park and Ratelle for Esposito and Vadnais was huge.

Easily the biggest trade I've seen here other than the Gretzky and Lindros trade.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
There is nothing that even comes remotely close to Gretz being sold to the Kings in '88- it was HUGE and the effect it had on the league with salaries and exposure and growth in the 90's can not be overemphasized. Just because there were not a lot of other big names involved doesn't diminish what the sale did- and actually in all of sports there are not a lot of other trades that were as monumental as this one in the modern era of sports. And no doubt about it- it was a sale not a trade.

Rather Gingerly 1*

acr said:
Park and Ratelle for Esposito and Vadnais was huge.

I think that was the biggest trade talent wise.

Another was Langway, Jarvis, Engblom for Green and Ryan Walter

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Wasn't Luc Robitaille & Ulf Samuelsson for Peter Nedved & Sergej Zubov in 1995 ?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Chili said:
Alexei Yashin for Zdeno Chara & a first (Jason Spezza) (others involved).

At the time, Chara was nothing more than a 5-6 defenceman.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
swiftwin said:
At the time, Chara was nothing more than a 5-6 defenceman.

He was playing over 22 minutes a game with the Isles so that is false. Obviously someone with the Sens saw his potential or he would not have been the key player coming back in the deal.

Peter Gibbons

Jul 26, 2005
MAF said:
Wasn't Luc Robitaille & Ulf Samuelsson for Peter Nedved & Sergej Zubov in 1995 ?
Hats off for remembering that one: it was during one of the periods I "blanked" on following hockey as a youth, but that was it exactly

In my lifetime, I think that would be the one. Two star calibre forwards and two star calibre defensemen swtiching teams is about as big as it gets.

Chili said:
He was playing over 22 minutes a game with the Isles so that is false. Obviously someone with the Sens saw his potential or he would not have been the key player coming back in the deal.
Yah, but I think the citation of the Lindros-Forsberg+ trade in the "do not use" examples sorta hints that the potential these guys had at the time shouldn't have to be part of the equation

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Peter Gibbons said:
Yah, but I think the citation of the Lindros-Forsberg+ trade in the "do not use" examples sorta hints that the potential these guys had at the time shouldn't have to be part of the equation

I don't see any right or wrong answers in a thread like this. Perhaps instead of microanalysing what others post you could suggest a trade yourself.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Chili said:
Some others...

Jarome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk

Iginla hadn't played a single NHL game at that point in his career. He was (obviously) nowhere near an established commodity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->