Biggest surprise so far

justde

Apr 12, 2015
If we are talking biggest surprise - it has to be Gunnars 3 goals.
I really like his defensive game, but didn´t expect 3 goals :)

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
If we are talking biggest surprise - it has to be Gunnars 3 goals.
I really like his defensive game, but didn´t expect 3 goals :)

Good call on Gunnarsson.

By the way, I went to the Toronto game the other night, and I saw a guy make nice moves in the slot to close in on the goal. Wow. I thought to myself, who did that. It was Gunnarsson!

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Schenn has been a welcome surprise (save for the derp in Pittsburgh :D) and helps solidify us down the middle. I was skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
That Yeo is the coach I hope he could be and not what I had been told he could be. Looking at the tape and watching how he handled the past season gave me hope based on the things he has always done well: be a "player's" coach, instill hockey that plays to each player's strength, solid defense, and no non-sense "earn your start" goaltending, but what has really surprised me is his ability to see the need for an active defense and implement it, bring speed to the zone entries, and seemingly after every game give a press conference that mirror's my take on what went wrong and what went well. THEN HE IMPLEMENTS THOSE CHANGES IN A SPAN OF THREE DAYS. He is an excellent coach, and I could not be happier with how that has turned out.

None of Schenn, Schwartz, Sobotka, the defense, Allen, etc. happens if we don't get rid of Hitch AND get Yeo. He's the MVP for me this season.

Now fix the goddamn special teams.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
My biggest surprise seems to be team speed. Where do Blues rank in the league in terms of team speed? They seem above average on D-speed, and heck even Jaskin is beating guys to the puck and out of the corner.

Reactions: nonzerochance

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think the answer has to be Schenn and Schwartz. There are a number of guys playing above expectations. But these guys are on pace for 102 and 109 points through 22 games and have made Vladimir freaking Tarasenko 3rd on his line in scoring. Considering neither has ever topped 65 points, the answer has to be those 2 guys.

Reactions: Spektre

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Agreed, but even Dunn, Bortuzzo and Jaskin seem to be beating guys to pucks unexpectedly.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Yeo has the guys playing an aggressive fast paced and upbeat type of game. One that everyone enjoys and that translates to everyone giving it their all every shift. Much much better than get a 1 goal lead and turtle for 55 minutes.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The offense the blue line has been generating still impresses me.

The fact that both Schenn and Schwartz are on pace to equal their career point totals before 60 games into the season is f***ing unbelievable!

Or maybe, without notable scoring contributions from our bottom 6, that we're sitting 19-8-2, 29 games into the season. Absolutely squashing the rumours floating around the boards that the Blues aren't even a playoff team!

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That despite having bottom 10 PP and PK numbers, the Blues are near the top of the standings. Goes to show how remarkable this team has been 5 on 5.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeo has the guys playing an aggressive fast paced and upbeat type of game. One that everyone enjoys and that translates to everyone giving it their all every shift. Much much better than get a 1 goal lead and turtle for 55 minutes.

I agree with you guys, and doesn't it also seem like the Blues play a pretty disciplined game? It seems like we have more power plays than our opponents more often than not. Although that could also just be a result of us outworking them and forcing them to take more penalties. When our possession game is clicking, this is a really fun team to watch.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Schwartz. He's definitely the play-driver on his line, and he's playing well enough to earn a few hart trophy votes to this point. I knew he was good but I didn't know he had this in him.

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
32 games in and professional tryout candidate Scottie Upshall is on pace for over 30 points while playing 4th line minutes.

Reactions: justde

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Biggest surprise this year?? I think that is that the Blues are still among the best in the league despite the injuries!! We get everyone back and we could be a tough out in the playoffs!

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Maybe not the "biggest surprise"; but I think somebody needs to send some props towards Upshall and Brodziak.
I think we all expected them to be good forecheckers and penalty killers, but I don't think anybody expect them to already have 10 goals on the season. They are both pacing for 13 goals and over 25 points. That is outstanding production for "4th liners".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->