Biggest Steals on Draft Day 2006

lubomirvaic77

Jul 13, 2006
vancouver
Would that be the same as juraj simek that the Wheatkings drafted? If so I hope you're right. I'd like to see Burki, Derlago and Kohn paired up with another playmaker on the Wheaties power play.

WHL? sweet. best posible place for that kid to be. he has loads of offensive potential he just hasn't been tested against tough competition so its hard to tell how good he realy is. we will see next year i geuss

Saved*

I think this deserves a bump. I believe Kessel is a huge steal at 5.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

A huge steal? At #5? No way. He's a great player, but he was a high draft pick and players that went ahead of him are very good aswell.

A steal is a guy like Berglund or Mason.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Well considering who went #2...

Yeah, the guy who is on pace for more goals this season than anyone else in his draft not named Kessel. The guy who has scored more goals in the playoffs than anyone in his draft. The guy who is 6-4 and is no where near done developing. The guy who has done this while playing mainly on the third line, in a defensive role for the majority of his career.

The guy who was picked second overall sounds pretty solid.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC

You can't be a steal at 5 unless Benoit Pouliot was picked 4th. :):):)

Besides, the 4th players before and 1 after Kessel are currently, or will most likely be better than him.

My vote goes for Mason hands down.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well considering who went #2...

I find it fascinating that some people use Jordan Staal as an example of a poor high draft pick while at the same everyone is all over Blake Wheeler's nuts because he has exactly two more points, despite playing regularly with much better forwards, not having near as good a defensive game, never proving himself in a playoff game, and being 2 years older.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Jesse Joensuu
Michael Forney
Alex Biega
are pretty good steals imo.

to a lesser extend:
Osala in the 4th
Rakhshani, Schütz and Lynes could turn out pretty good players
Romano, Sauer, Breault and Pyett are later rounds gambles who could turn out nice

AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Claude Giroux
Patrik Berglund
Milan Lucic
Artem Anisimov
Jonas Junland
Daniel Larsson
Oskar Osala
Juraj Å imek
Jan Muršak
MAYBE Derek Dorsett
MAYBE Jay Barriball

I don't know about the other guys, but Simek? He has been a healthy scratch in his second year in the AHL.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
John Armstron at 87. Can crack calgarys lineup next year, but sutter will instead probably make room for his kid and backlund instead

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Jury is still out, but players like Joensuu and Osala have moved onto the AHL and have produced very well.

Obvious picks are Mason, Berglund.

Always love when people dig up old threads to see who was close or not.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This thread is still 2-3 years too early. Notice how few D-men have been mentioned? They (along with goalies) take the longest to develop.

Watch some 6th rounder break out in 2 years and play on the top-pairing.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
This thread is still 2-3 years too early. Notice how few D-men have been mentioned? They (along with goalies) take the longest to develop.

Watch some 6th rounder break out in 2 years and play on the top-pairing.

Junland, whom i mentioned 2 1/2 years ago, was an AHL all-star this year...he's progressing just fine for STL. We just need to clear out some of the dead weight on the NHL roster and give him a bit more time to fill out, then he'll be a full-time NHL'er. The STL defense is going to be pretty solid in a couple more years.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Michael Forney.......good thing all of us are only armchair GMs :)

Well I wanted Berglund all along in 2006 and said that Mason would be a great steal.....So I like my chances as an armchair GM's...;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad