Biggest Steals on Draft Day 2006

gairo

Jul 8, 2006
Rezekne, Latvija
Arturs Kulda! he is only 200 overall, but actually he is very, very good player and he have good potentional, he prove it in WC U-18 (B division) in Riga!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's never going to be a Niedermayer. He's not even going to be a Housley or Leetch.

If he becomes a #1, he'll be a very, very average #1.

Oh, so Leetch is some second tier player?

Leetch has had a far better career than Niedermeyer and will go down in history as the better defenseman.

Sorry that your blind hate for the Rangers will always have you bashing them every chance you get.

1994 must still BURN you. :clap:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Will O'Neill and Logan Pyett may be talked about a few years down the line. I liked and still like both more than most.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Leetch has had a far better career than Niedermeyer and will go down in history as the better defenseman.

Sorry that your blind hate for the Rangers will always have you bashing them every chance you get.

I thought that was humorous as well......

ilikehockey11

Jun 22, 2006
www.piczo.com
I think Emmerton will be a great nhler. From everything I have read this guy is a great playmaking centre. Somehow Detroit managed to get Hudler in the second round (50th?) as well. That was another steal.

X-SHARKIE

Ben Shutron fell way too low. I think he's pretty much neck and neck with Sanguinetti honestly. I think he could be the Matt Carle of the draft. No hype on him prior to the draft, and then he turns out to be one of the best puck moving defenseman from his respective draft.

I had McGinn at 10, honestly I did, so when the Sharks got him at 36 I was pretty dang happy. He's a less explosive, more mean, version of Erik Cole.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I'm not saying that all habs picks were steals, because I don't think it's the case at all. But according to various sources, Ben Maxwell and Ryan White were to go in the first round and we managed to grab them in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Overall in the draft I think that Vasyunov, Shirokov, Lapoint, Marcinko, Forney, Shutron and many others have great upside and they could easely gone earlier in the draft.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office

If you look at the career plus minus, that tells a different story. leetch at +25 versus Neidermayer at +180 says a lot, considering how many points leetch scored, a difference of 155 goals is quite a lot.

I do agree with you though, I think Leetch was the better d-man, however, I think your comment was rude, and completely uncalled for. He didn't even know he was disagreeing with you.

WisconsinDuck

Nov 17, 2005
Wisconsin
Im guessing you mean LaPoint.
I remember you telling us about him before i think. Anything other info you could tell me man would be great ;)

He played on a defensive pairing with my best-friends brother on Team Wisconsin. It's like an all-star team for kids in Wisconsin. My friends brother was pegged by one magazine as next years top high school hockey player in the mid-west excluding Minnesota. LaPoint really taught him how to play. (I watched Alex "my friend's brother) for a while and thought to myself, I'll bet he is going to be in the NHL draft". Then I watched Lapoint for a while and thought, "I'll bet this kid is going to be a HUGE success in the NHL. By far the biggest steal of the draft. You Panther fans are in for a real treat. The funny part is my friend's brother has MSN Messenger and has LaPoint's address on it. It was funny cuz I actually got to talk to him on there once.

Alex Gerke (My friends brother)=:eek:
Derrick Lapoint=:amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :eek: :eek:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How is that so? Tanguay being traded for Leopold who will be a #1 D-Man and plus 2 picks. But of course you're gonna say its a steal b/c you're a Canucks fan. QUOTE]

Not is this lifetime, Colorado got bamboozled on that deal, Leopold is average to good.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Kirill Tulupov. I have to admit that I don't know a thing about this player. However, I've read some interesting and positive remarks about him.

Last edited:

lubomirvaic77

Jul 13, 2006
vancouver
mark my words Jurja Simik will be to the canucks what Pavel Datsuk is to the wings.
hopefuly he plays in the dub next year. also Daniel Rahimi looks like a potential steal in the third round because he has drafted that high on a hunch and the last time the nucks did that they drafted Elder so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say this will be a repeat.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
mark my words Jurja Simik will be to the canucks what Pavel Datsuk is to the wings.
hopefuly he plays in the dub next year. also Daniel Rahimi looks like a potential steal in the third round because he has drafted that high on a hunch and the last time the nucks did that they drafted Elder so i'm gonna go out on a limb and say this will be a repeat.

Would that be the same as juraj simek that the Wheatkings drafted? If so I hope you're right. I'd like to see Burki, Derlago and Kohn paired up with another playmaker on the Wheaties power play.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Vasyunov and couple more late round russian picks
Marchand, ive seen guy in action for the whole Q playoffs and Memorial Cup and this guys is Karsums clone, wich is a huge compliment.

probably Daugavins too, even though 3rd round aint too bad either, hes one of the most talanted forwards ive ever seen Latvia produced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->