Biggest Steals on Draft Day 2006

wolfmother

Mar 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Who do you guys think were the biggest steals at this years NHL entry draft? Which guys went lower than deserved? I know that some people think that Forney was a great pick at 80th overall. Were there any others?

If you really wanna get into it, tell me why he was underrated and where you think he should have gone.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Jesse Joensuu
Michael Forney
Alex Biega
are pretty good steals imo.

to a lesser extend:
Osala in the 4th
Rakhshani, Schütz and Lynes could turn out pretty good players
Romano, Sauer, Breault and Pyett are later rounds gambles who could turn out nice

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Its a pretty tough call to say what the "biggest steals" were since the draft only happened like a month ago and we had been discussing who the best propects for that draft class for the last year and a half. I don't think you can call anyone a steal until at least a year after the draft and see which prospects progress/regress.

Until then you will probably get people saying (Insert favorite team here) prospect (Insert prospect name here) could be a good later round steal!

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Its a pretty tough call to say what the "biggest steals" were since the draft only happened like a month ago and we had been discussing who the best propects for that draft class for the last year and a half. I don't think you can call anyone a steal until at least a year after the draft and see which prospects progress/regress.

Until then you will probably get people saying (Insert favorite team here) prospect (Insert prospect name here) could be a good later round steal!

Exactly. We see this all the time around here. The draft is a month old, how can any of these guys be steals at this point? All this is going to be is a war of opinions over certain players. You can't even begin to talk about steals for at least 2-3 years when these players have actually done some developing.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Everyone knows there can not be made a real projection yet. But everyone's opinion can be discussed about which prospects might be steals. It is easy to discuss it when all those guys have a few pro-seasons under their belts cause you can go by the numbers. But it is more fun guessing now :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the Thrashers may have gotten a potential steal in Mike Forney in the 3rd round. Injuries and a percieved weak level of competition knocked him down a notch but he has a good size and is very skilled. He was widely viewed as a potential first rounder by many scouting services and draft publications.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Williams could be the biggest steal in the entire draft at #51. Boom or Bust, but could end being very good.

Derick Lapoint is a potential steal too. Few people know who he is, but he goes to college next season and could be a really good pick for a 4th rounder.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I think the Nucks got an absolute steal in Sergei Shirokov, and Daniel Rahimi every single day is looking like he has potential to be a top 4 defenseman on a NHL club.

The biggest steal IMO was Mike Forney who I had in my top 15 of my draft chart.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How can you say someone is certainly a steal just a month after the draft? How about we let these kids play this upcoming season before declaring possible steals?

because there were guys with less upside than he, taken far higher....not many guys drafted after the 2nd round have as impressive a resume as Junland. Had a late-season injury not sidelined him, he'd likely have gone much higher...

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
How can you say someone is certainly a steal just a month after the draft? How about we let these kids play this upcoming season before declaring possible steals?

why does everyone get so upset when people wanna talk about who did the best on draft day and who is a steal...before the draft everyone had their mocks and now we see where they actually were taken so some players look like steals because we figured they would go much sooner than they did

Maithz

Ryan White at # 66

I have faith that he will become a great 3rd liner , 40 pts and effective on SH .

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
because there were guys with less upside than he, taken far higher....not many guys drafted after the 2nd round have as impressive a resume as Junland. Had a late-season injury not sidelined him, he'd likely have gone much higher...

Of course, the fact that your favorite team drafted him has nothing to do with it. No, thats not it at all.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
why does everyone get so upset when people wanna talk about who did the best on draft day and who is a steal...before the draft everyone had their mocks and now we see where they actually were taken so some players look like steals because we figured they would go much sooner than they did
Because every single player can be considered a potential steal, and usually is.

avs_19*

The only steal I see so far is Calgary grabbing Tanguay for not-a-whole-lot.

How is that so? Tanguay being traded for Leopold who will be a #1 D-Man and plus 2 picks. But of course you're gonna say its a steal b/c you're a Canucks fan. Which means there isnt much help for you.

But the biggest steal of the draft as it stands right now is Nigel Williams, I know its only a month after the draft and we havent seen any of those guys play but based on rankings and talent Williams is easily the biggest steal of the draft, he was ranked around 10-15 and getting him at #51 is huge.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
How is that so? Tanguay being traded for Leopold who will be a #1 D-Man and plus 2 picks. But of course you're gonna say its a steal b/c you're a Canucks fan. Which means there isnt much help for you.

Leopold has the potential to be a top pairing guy, but I don't know if he will ever be a #1 defencemen. It certainly wasn't a steal if Leopold plays up to that potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad