Biggest steals of '03

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Seeing there is a thread on biggest steal of '04, my question is who is the biggest steal of '03?

My favorites are: O'Sullivan 2nd rd Minnesota
Phaneuf even though picked #9, looking back could've been picked in top 6 (may not be considered a steal at 9, but definately great pick)
Perry #28, has been on fire w/ the Knights the 2 years.

degroat*

It's way to early to determine this sort of thing, but Zakharov will do his best to win the title as the last pick of the 3rd round.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Fighter said:
Getzlaf at 19# is a very lucky pick too. The Ducks had a monster draft in the 2003 IMO.

I agree 100%, in fact they've done a great job of drafting the past 3 or 4 years.

Getzlaf, Perry, Smid, Lupol and Chistov .... w/ Jiggy and there promising backup (forget name) they could have a very solid team in a few years ..... especially if they can trade Federov for more young prospects or other developed players.

X-SHARKIE

trahans99 said:
I agree 100%, in fact they've done a great job of drafting the past 3 or 4 years.

Getzlaf, Perry, Smid, Lupol and Chistov .... w/ Jiggy and there promising backup (forget name) they could have a very solid team in a few years ..... especially if they can trade Federov for more young prospects or other developed players.

They also have a future #1 goaltender in Bryzgalov IMO.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Ryan O'Byrne said:
Corey Locke 4th Round, 113th overall was a steal.He looks good in the ahl at .636 points a game imo .

I was always flustered w/ how the OHL leading scorer by far 2 years in a row could be drafted in the 4th round..... even though it was a great draft

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Stephan Ruzicka is an absolute stud. Getting him in the 3rd round was a huge steal for the Flyers, imo. I think he'll be a real good one some day soon.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Kyle Brodziak in the 7th round was a great pickup from an Oilers perspective... he finished 3rd (I beleive) in Dub scoring last year, and hasn't looked at all out of place in the AHL so far, despite bouncing around the lineup.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
dawgbone said:
Kyle Brodziak in the 7th round was a great pickup from an Oilers perspective... he finished 3rd (I beleive) in Dub scoring last year, and hasn't looked at all out of place in the AHL so far, despite bouncing around the lineup.

good call ;)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Lauris Darzins(9th rd, Nashville) is having a great first season in the WHL for Kelowna. Always good to see those ninth round picks doing well. Also, Teemu Lassila(4th round) should be mentioned.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Gonna toss another Oiler pick at you.

Remember the name, Dragan Umicevic

6th round 184th overall.

Link from eliteprospects.com LINK

info from that site..

Umicevic’s upside is huge. He possesses a lot of raw skill. First of all Umicevic is a well balanced skater. His top speed is perhaps nothing to write home about, but he accelerates well, especially with the puck in his control. Umicevic can also be a magician with the puck. His technical skills are extraordinary and he is among those players that you can always expect an unpredictable move from. When it comes to scoring he is basically just as good at delivering the puck as actually finishing the play. The physical aspect of his game could use some improvement, especially in view of the fact that his game includes speed and creativeness. With greater strength he’ll be even tougher to stop. Umicevic is a natural talent and if he works hard and has his mind set he’ll become an elite player.

His only knocks have been defensive play and the mental aspect. But ever since he was sent down to the J20 earlier this year (and scored 11 points in 3 games) he has been on FIRE in the SEL (6 points in 6 games). He has fought his way into the top 6 on his team and was on the top line for most of the last game, where he scored 2 goals and 1 assist.

Watch out for this kid, he seems to be putting it all together and could turn out to be a killer steal. Word from the Swedish board says he is becoming a fan favorite and he is also moving his way up the eliteprosepects.com top 100 prospects (right now #27)

My dark horse pick of the 2003 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad