Biggest reason for this prolonged lockout - Goodenow "we will not play under a cap"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Goodenow unwisely escalated the CBA dispute, prolonged the lockout and painted himself into a corner by being so rigid in his intial stance on the current CBA negotiations. He committed the 1st and seemingly insurmountable error in negotiations by taking a stand and not leaving any middle ground for a possible compromise. Bettman on the other hand has always said he wants to negotiate a fair settlement that involves cost certainty and a partnership with players including honoring guaranteed contracts and the sharing of revenues. I would say Bettman was the wiser of the two in that he at least said he is willng to negotiate, listen to offers-ideas that fit into the parameters set out by the owners who he represents. Goodenow now has nowhere to go but to concede and break his promise. Result, an impasse that will cost NHL fans/players at least one full season of hockey and likely longer plus his players will lose billions in the future. It will also cost the NHL years to recover it's corporate sponsors and ticket buying fans who I really believe will rebel in much higher numbers than baseball fans did after 94. Can any of you think of a way for Goodenow to overcome his initial statement without losing face? I can't - so he won't. The sooner we get to the impasse stage the better as far as I am concerned. :madfire:

bling

Jun 23, 2004
Bettman unwisely escalated the CBA dispute, prolonged the lockout and painted himself into a corner by being so rigid in his intial stance on the current CBA negotiations. He committed the 1st and seemingly insurmountable error in negotiations by taking a stand and not leaving any middle ground for a possible compromise. Goodenow on the other hand has always said he wants to negotiate a fair settlement with owners including honoring guaranteed contracts and the sharing of revenues. I would say Goodenow was the wiser of the two in that he at least said he is willng to negotiate, listen to offers-ideas that fit into the parameters set out by the players who he represents. Bettman now has nowhere to go but to concede and break his promise. Result, an impasse that will cost NHL fans/players at least one full season of hockey and likely longer plus his minions will lose billions in the future. It will also cost the NHL years to recover it's corporate sponsors and ticket buying fans who I really believe will rebel in much higher numbers than baseball fans did after 94. Can any of you think of a way for Bettman to overcome his initial statement without losing face? I can't - so he won't. :lol

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
eye said:
Goodenow unwisely escalated the CBA dispute, prolonged the lockout and painted himself into a corner by being so rigid in his intial stance on the current CBA negotiations. He committed the 1st and seemingly insurmountable error in negotiations by taking a stand and not leaving any middle ground for a possible compromise. Bettman on the other hand has always said he wants to negotiate a fair settlement that involves cost certainty and a partnership with players including honoring guaranteed contracts and the sharing of revenues. I would say Bettman was the wiser of the two in that he at least said he is willng to negotiate, listen to offers-ideas that fit into the parameters set out by the owners who he represents. Goodenow now has nowhere to go but to concede and break his promise. Result, an impasse that will cost NHL fans/players at least one full season of hockey and likely longer plus his players will lose billions in the future. It will also cost the NHL years to recover it's corporate sponsors and ticket buying fans who I really believe will rebel in much higher numbers than baseball fans did after 94. Can any of you think of a way for Goodenow to overcome his initial statement without losing face? I can't - so he won't. The sooner we get to the impasse stage the better as far as I am concerned. :madfire:

It's known about Collective Bargaining that you are not supposed to say "never" when negotiating. I don't know if Bettman has said they will "never...", but I know Goodenow has, and according to Good Bargaining principles, thats just something you don't do.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
puck you said:
It's known about Collective Bargaining that you are not supposed to say "never" when negotiating. I don't know if Bettman has said they will "never...", but I know Goodenow has, and according to Good Bargaining principles, thats just something you don't do.

not true ..

if one side says "never" and the other side is interested in negotiating, its pretty much up to them to come up with a solution that the "never" side will agree with.

if i said to you i want to buy your car and you said i can buy it, but you will never sell it for less than $x.xx. how much chance do i have of buying that car if i wont negotiate your terms ? hey, if i dont want your car bad enough, i can walk away. but if your car is the only car that suits my needs and you have drawn a line in the sand, i should come up with a solution you will accept.

dr

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
DementedReality said:
not true ..

if one side says "never" and the other side is interested in negotiating, its pretty much up to them to come up with a solution that the "never" side will agree with.

if i said to you i want to buy your car and you said i can buy it, but you will never sell it for less than $x.xx. how much chance do i have of buying that car if i wont negotiate your terms ? hey, if i dont want your car bad enough, i can walk away. but if your car is the only car that suits my needs and you have drawn a line in the sand, i should come up with a solution you will accept.

dr

Except the players NEED a league to play in and the owners can always hire scabs. Goodenow said never when he doesn't exactly have the power in the situation.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
DementedReality said:
not true ..

dr

That could also mean that Bettman wants cost certainty so he should get it and that its Goodenow that should retreat from his "never" strategy (and take a hit to his ego) if he wants to get jobs for his players badly enough? And that if he doesn't retreat then he doesn't want jobs for his players badly enough to compromise.

Neither side is retreating, egos are too big. They are both right and both wrong.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
DementedReality said:
not true ..

dr

Say what? :dunno: :shakehead :banghead: Makes absolutely no sense just like Goodenow painting himself into a corner or standing in a round room looking for the corner.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
Say what? :dunno: :shakehead :banghead: Makes absolutely no sense just like Goodenow painting himself into a corner or standing in a round room looking for the corner.

well i dont know what you do for a living, but i negotiate with suppliers, labour and customers every single day.

good thing i understand what i was talking about !

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
waffledave said:
Except the players NEED a league to play in and the owners can always hire scabs. Goodenow said never when he doesn't exactly have the power in the situation.

seems to me at least 300 players have found a place to play without the NHL.

dr

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
waffledave said:

Who says they can? There is this assumption that the NHL can wave a magic wand and get the NLRB to allow them to impose a CBA. If they tried right now, the NLRB would laugh them out of court. They will probably laugh them out of court even if they get specific and do table a real offer and make several efforts to negotiate it.

MLB could not make an impasse stick when they tried the "salary cap or nothing" strategy. The NLRB rejected the idea that the parties were at impasse in a situation that was not dissimilar. Why does anyone believe the NHL owners will be any more successful?

The one advantage MLB had was they could use strikebreakers because the players were on strike. It was a shortlived effort because the fans could see that the teams being fielded were bush league and they obviously weren't buying, but still the league could try. This is not a strike. It is a lockout. You can't use replacements to break a lockout.

The NHL has to put some real specific proposals on the table and they have to negotiate them in good faith. They haven't even started the process.

Tom

SENSible1*

Tom_Benjamin said:
Who says they can? There is this assumption that the NHL can wave a magic wand and get the NLRB to allow them to impose a CBA. If they tried right now, the NLRB would laugh them out of court. They will probably laugh them out of court even if they get specific and do table a real offer and make several efforts to negotiate it.

MLB could not make an impasse stick when they tried the "salary cap or nothing" strategy. The NLRB rejected the idea that the parties were at impasse in a situation that was not dissimilar. Why does anyone believe the NHL owners will be any more successful?

The one advantage MLB had was they could use strikebreakers because the players were on strike. It was a shortlived effort because the fans could see that the teams being fielded were bush league and they obviously weren't buying, but still the league could try. This is not a strike. It is a lockout. You can't use replacements to break a lockout.

The NHL has to put some real specific proposals on the table and they have to negotiate them in good faith. They haven't even started the process.

Tom

But they will, right after the players establish the baseline by forcing them to cancel the season.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
DementedReality said:
not true ..

dr

According to the Art of Collective Bargaining, which I used in a report of mine recently, it is true that you are not supposed to use the term "never" when you are in a labor dispute.

Sanderson, John P. The Art of Collective Bargaining. Toronto, Ontario: Richard De Boo Limited, 1979: 32-33

^ If you want to read up on it.

Now, if Bettman said never, I would be all over him for it too, if he has, someone please point it out to me, but all I've read has been Goodenow saying it.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
waffledave said:

Sure, NHL can play their 100 mil revenues and 750 mil fixed expenses + replacement salaries for any number of years they want to, but if Goodenow and NHLPA has a legally binding (=financially severely hurting) steadfast support of top 300-400 players for the next 10 years (which they apparently have), then profit-making owners are not really that stupid businessmen, that they are not willing to negotiate a compromise not including a hard cap, in an effort to restore their 2+ billion revenue industry.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
gary69 said:
Sure, NHL can play their 100 mil revenues and 750 mil fixed expenses + replacement salaries for any number of years they want to,

This is an interesting point. If replacement players are used we get to find out just what the NHLers real market value is. If the replacement players play for peanuts and the teams go OK financially its not good the NHLers market value. If a trained monkey can do your $2m/y job then you are clearly overpaid at $2m/y. If the teams lose money but less than currently, again its not good for the NHLers market value. If the teams do much worse than before then it strengthens the NHLers market value, because it links financial success to their quality and star power.

Its an interesting risk for both sides.

but if Goodenow and NHLPA has a legally binding (=financially severely hurting) steadfast support of top 300-400 players for the next 10 years (which they apparently have), then profit-making owners are not really that stupid businessmen, that they are not willing to negotiate a compromise not including a hard cap, in an effort to restore their 2+ billion revenue industry.

Goodenow may have their support now, and have their intended support for the next 10 years. Unfortunately that "intended" support isn't worth the paper it isn't written on because they can change their minds at any time in the future. They could change their minds 3 months into a replacement player season, despite what their feelings are now, if they see a few jump ship. If enough players change their minds and accept the NHL conditions they can vote the union back to work and thats the end of it and richest 300 can do what they like for the next 10 years once their contracts are up by telling their agents not to sign any NHL contracts and to get them deals in Europe until they retire. I doubt very much the top 300 hold out if the rest go back to work.

Last edited:

SENSible1*

gary69 said:
Sure, NHL can play their 100 mil revenues and 750 mil fixed expenses + replacement salaries for any number of years they want to, but if Goodenow and NHLPA has a legally binding (=financially severely hurting) steadfast support of top 300-400 players for the next 10 years (which they apparently have), then profit-making owners are not really that stupid businessmen, that they are not willing to negotiate a compromise not including a hard cap, in an effort to restore their 2+ billion revenue industry.

The NHL has stated publically their willingness to negotiate a soft cap.

If you seriously think that the "top 300-400" players will sit out of the highest paying league in the world for the next 10 years over the principle of no link between salaries and revenues, then you are kidding yourself.

BTW,

The "profit making owners" will make even bigger profits if they can lower the players % of league revenues.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Under President Bush, the makeup of the 5-member NLRB panel (currently with one vacancy) has changed dramatically since the Clinton administration, with a markedly pro-management tilt. Ownership believes that with the appointment of Mike Bartlett, formerly of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and William Cohen, formerly with Institutional Labor Advisors, the NLRB will reject a potential MLBPA claim of failure to negotiate in good faith. If that happens, the owners will be free to unilaterally impose new work rules, including all the provisions of their most recent offer. From that point on, negotiations and contract signings would take place under the rules sought by the owners rather than the terms of the expired CBA.

This is from an article Doug Pappas wrote for ESPN.com during the last MLB showdown. The change in the NLRB panel does seem like a fair point to me. I don't know the jurisprudence on the issue, or what the legal tests are to declare an impasse, but it seems to me that there is at least some validity here. Pappas was a pretty respected commentator on the business of baseball. The only thing is, further down in the same article, he talks about the possibility of decertification if the owners had had an impasse declared. At that point, the owners can't restrict anything about salaries, or entry into the league. Maybe the players have more leverage than is believed, at least in terms of preventing an impasse. The only sticking point on that in my mind is that I have a hard time seeing Goodenow allowing the NHLPA to blow up.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
me2 said:
Goodenow may have their support now, and have their intended support for the next 10 years. Unfortunately that "intended" support isn't worth the paper it isn't written on because they can change their minds at any time in the future. They could change their minds 3 months into a replacement player season, despite what their feelings are now, if they see a few jump ship.

I don't claim to have seen 300 or 400 hundred players' signed agreements, and I don't know without any doubt whatsoever what can be considered a legally binding document, but I would just say that quite a few players are pretty unified on this matter.

And I'm first to admit that almost anything can be negotiated away with good lawyers, but with possible "liabilities", those players' salaries wouldn't probably fit into most capped teams' salaries.

So at this point I would be inclined to say it's either a capped NHL with replacement players for the next 1 to 10 years or a "normal" NHL without a cap with all the best players (excluding the retired).

Brent Burns Beard