Biggest Point Leech ever

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nah, Kevin Stevens.

I was never really sure why.
I said in another thread that Stevens likely had the best peak value of any LW since Bobby Hull. (Okay, Frank Mahovlich, too). But anyways. Stevens at his peak was an incredibly imposing power forward. An almost unmatched combination of strength, skill and physical play. He could have been almost as good as Neely. And Stevens was great in the playoffs, too. He was more than just a talentless lug who benefitted from playing with Lemieux. He was a bona fide star. It's just too bad his peak was only three years.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I think a difference has to be made between a leech and a contributer.

Anson Carter this past season was a leech. He played pretty well but for the most part was just fed wide-open nets. It does take skill to finish plays off but he would not have hit 33 goals on his own.

A solid contributer is somone like Mike Knuble. He has generally excelled being a complementary player for two stars. His point totals are at least 20 points higher than they should, but he also helps the other players along. There is a reason he has fit in so well With Murray/Thornton and now Gagne/Forsberg (although that may change with the Calder acquisition).

bfire

May 30, 2006
Toronto
www.hockeynut.com
Rucchin playing with Kariya, Selanne, Rob Brown playing Lemeiux, and what about Jari Kurri? I think without Gretzky he would have been 60-80 point guy on his own.

Ogopogo*

Rucchin playing with Kariya, Selanne, Rob Brown playing Lemeiux, and what about Jari Kurri? I think without Gretzky he would have been 60-80 point guy on his own.

LOL.

In Gretzky's last season in Edmonton, Kurri picked up 96 points. When Gretzky went to LA, Kurri scored 102 points.

60-80 point guy? LOL

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS

Yeah, and without Lemieux Jagr is a 60-80 point guy as wel. Awesome.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
No, not likely, because I have no idea who Artie is. Is that Rob Brown's nickname?

Kevin Stevens' nickname, actually. I don't know the rationale behind it, except that it comes from his dad or something.

And for the record, I'm going to say Warren Young. Rob Brown had all the tools, minus the attitude and wheels. He always reminded me of Jock Callander like that-- a player with fantastic offensive gifts but whose game just couldn't be translated into the NHL without a lot of work. Granted, Jock seemed to be a much nicer and focused guy, but the comparison is still valid, I think.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Gretzky owes every single point he got due to McSorely. Ever wonder why he wanted McSorely to come along with him? :sarcasm:

KariyaIsGod*

Rob brown was a good player. If not for injury he would be looked upon a lot more favorably now.

I'll go with good old Blair Mcdonald though...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Chris Simon.

A 29 g, 49 point season? This guy never notched 15 goals before or since. Anyone with Adam Oates got a free ride but none more than Simon.

Heavy Fuel

Glenn Anderson really showed his true talent level once Mess, and Gretz were gone

Worst call of the thread. Glenn Anderson should be in the Hall of Fame, he was the guy who always seemed to get the important goals. If you ever saw him play in the Edmonton uniform you would never have posted an statement so far from the truth. He was one of the few players who could score goals without being set-up, he just used his wheels, a kamikaze attitude, and some great hands.

His play dropped off from the elite level sooner then Gretzky & Messier, but he was easily one of the best forwards in the league in his day. Gretzky & Lemieux were the top tier superstars, but Messier & Anderson were both on the next level. Just because Anderson played with some great players, it does not mean he wasn't great himself.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Anderson on the same level as Messier? :shakehead

I was a huge Oilers fan and saw the vast majority of their games in the eighties and there's NO WAY I could support such a statement. Anerson was OBVIOUSLY a notch lower than Messier. Gawd, Anderson would be LUCKY to be considered on par with Kurri, darn lucky. He's more like Tikkanen, with some excellent attributes.

Anderson was at-most a 30-goal scorer on any other team in any other era, blessed to be on the most offensively talent team during the most offensively oriented era (even then his production dropped off a lot, as only once in his last seven seasons was he able to notch 25 goals or more). Clutch scorer? Fine. So was Claude Lemieux. That doesn't put Claude on par with Messier, or even Kurri.

Ogopogo*

I was a huge Oilers fan and saw the vast majority of their games in the eighties and there's NO WAY I could support such a statement. Anerson was OBVIOUSLY a notch lower than Messier. Gawd, Anderson would be LUCKY to be considered on par with Kurri, darn lucky. He's more like Tikkanen, with some excellent attributes.

Anderson was at-most a 30-goal scorer on any other team in any other era, blessed to be on the most offensively talent team during the most offensively oriented era (even then his production dropped off a lot, as only once in his last seven seasons was he able to notch 25 goals or more). Clutch scorer? Fine. So was Claude Lemieux. That doesn't put Claude on par with Messier, or even Kurri.

You need to watch some of the old highlight tapes, Anderson was excellent. Better than a 30 goal scorer on any other team. If anything, Anderson got less ice time in Edmonton because of the talent there. He might very well have potted 60 once in his career somewhere else.

Heavy Fuel

Glenn Anderson would have been a first line winger on any NHL team not named the Oilers. If he had Messier's mental toughness, nobody would even question his career accomplishments. He did not match Messier's longevity and production, but he did dial up the intensity like few others could when the game was on the line. As for the Claude Lemieux comparison, Claude was a gritty, clutch player, but Anderson was a skilled, clutch player. Few would consider Claude Lemieux to be a first line player.

If you watched Anderson play in Edmonton, then you should recall the manner in which he scored his goals. The WAY that he got his goals contradicts the idea of him "leaching" points from a gifted team. He was one of the fastest players on a very fast team, and he often beat defensemen wide with his speed, or inside with his moves. Anderson was no Craig Simpson, soaking up crosschecks and deflecting 6 footers into the net, he could start and finish the play on his own.

I found this article a good take on #9: http://www.thn.com/en/columnist/detail.asp?columnist=85

He ended up fifth all-time in playoff goals (93), fourth in playoff points (214), tied for fifth in playoff game-winning goals (17) and third in playoff overtime goals (five).

Glenn Anderson, ended up with a regular season scoring average of .97 PPG, and a playoff average of .95 PPG in the NHL. He was not a better overall player than Messier, but Anderson could certainly be considered to be on that next level down from the generational superstars like Wayne & Mario.

Parrish

Apr 2, 2004
Decatur; Indiana
Hrdina was a mooch when in Pit.

He was decent at setting up the puck, but it was usually Kovalev that put it in.

What exactly is a mooch. I agree with what was said earlier that they atleast have ti be good players. Jani Rita sucked all year last season. Coulsnt score with Crosby. Hilbert however did.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Rob Brown

Gotta love this thread. Just shows you how many players careers Mario really made :teach: :handclap:

KariyaIsGod*

Rob Brown

Gotta love this thread. Just shows you how many players careers Mario really made :teach: :handclap:

I suppose, if you consider Rob Brown's career to be made by Mario Lemieux and ignore the facts.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
From a Leafs fan perspective, Hoglund and Renberg for sure.

I'd like to see a Devils fan prove that Daneyko was a point leech. :sarcasm:

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Most recently I'd say Marc Savard, Cheechoo, and Gange.

I know they're talented, especially the ladder two, but they'd be putting up a fraction of the numbers they're putting up if they weren't playing with Thornton and Forsberg. I hate seeing these guys' names near the top of the stats. There are far better players out there that have to do it all by themselves. Cheechoo winning the Rocket Richard was especially annoying.

A classic canucks example would be Gino playing with Bure in 93/94.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->