Biggest Point Leech ever

Hatcher Dies Tonight

Rob Brown `88-`89 with Lemieux.

Damn, you guys are good. As soon as i saw the title of this thread, he's the only name that came to mind. I agree he was very talented, awesome hands, just no speed and didn't play any defense till late in his career.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
Although not anything close to the biggest point leecher ever. . . Jonas Hoglund with Sundin was quite the leech. He almost scored 30 goals in the 1999-2000 season (he registered 29).

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Talented IHL offensive player.

When he was with his next team, The Whalers, he managed 73 pts in 86 games. Not amazing by any means, but solid notheless. IMO it was more an attitude issue as to why he ended up in the IHL, not a lack of NHL level talent. Did he leech to get to the 115 pt level, yes, but IMO he was still capable of 70-80 pts under other circumstances.

I talked to one of his relatives a few years ago, and said that once Brown made the NHL, he became one of the most insufferable jerks you could imagine. I guessing that is why so many teams, some in need of offense, gave up on him so much.

bones21212

Jul 22, 2006
the underground
a 3rd vote for warren young. one of, if not the best all around player ever to play in baltimore but in the bigs, he just rode marios coat-tails.

Ogopogo*

People have a flawed belief that a player can completely be responsible for the points some other player puts up. I completely disagree. You must have some talent to pick up 43 goals or 125 points. You cannot score 40 goals and be an absolute buffoon. Think about it, Semenko's best season, on a line with Wayne Gretzky, was 27 points. Mike Krushelnyski, Warren Young, Rob Brown, Bernie Nicholls, Brett Calligen and BJ MacDonald all did much better than that when they had an opportunity. Those players had some talent otherwise, they would have put up 27 points.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Another guy who owes a lot to Mario is Kevin Stevens.
Kevin Stevens was a second-team all-star in 1991, when Mario missed most of the season. Stevens-Mark Recchi-John Cullen formed one of the top lines in the league that year, the Option Line. So I suggest you do a little more research.

As has been stated before, Rob Brown's problem was attitude, not talent. The guy was a wonderfully talented goal scorer. Crappy players don't set WHL scoring records that stand for 20 years.

Bernie Nichols shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

Young and BJ MacDonald are the two that come to mind first.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
People have a flawed belief that a player can completely be responsible for the points some other player puts up. I completely disagree. You must have some talent to pick up 43 goals or 125 points. You cannot score 40 goals and be an absolute buffoon. Think about it, Semenko's best season, on a line with Wayne Gretzky, was 27 points. Mike Krushelnyski, Warren Young, Rob Brown, Bernie Nicholls, Brett Calligen and BJ MacDonald all did much better than that when they had an opportunity. Those players had some talent otherwise, they would have put up 27 points.

Obviously those guys had more offensive skill than Semenko. Hell, there are tons of guys who never made the NHL that had more offensive skill than Semenko. What this thread is about is guys with good offensive skill, say at the 50-60 pt level who suddenly had their numbers jump into top 25 scorers when paired with a superstar and then had a similar fall when taken off that line or dealt to a team without the same level of superstar.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

Yes, but every player has talent to play in the NHL. Only some can take it and produce at that level. The players listed in this thread produce at the NHL level because of other players. Unless you are a goon, all players have talent. Alexander Daigle, Chad Kilgar, and Jonus Hogland would score 50 with Lemieux or Gretzky. Domi wouldn't.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Grant Fuhr...i mean...14 assists...c'mon

Actually...it sounds like they leeched of him...

Kinda OT, but doesn't Barasso hold the record for goaltender assists, with 34? I think we all knew who Le Mangifique was leeching off of. :sarcasm:

Oh, and GBC, you're right on with Artie. Are you my long lost Canadian cousin or something?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Yes, but every player has talent to play in the NHL. Only some can take it and produce at that level. The players listed in this thread produce at the NHL level because of other players. Unless you are a goon, all players have talent. Alexander Daigle, Chad Kilgar, and Jonus Hogland would score 50 with Lemieux or Gretzky. Domi wouldn't.

I whole-heartedly believe that Tie Domi is a better finisher than Jonus Hoglund.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Kinda OT, but doesn't Barasso hold the record for goaltender assists, with 34? I think we all knew who Le Mangifique was leeching off of. :sarcasm:

Oh, and GBC, you're right on with Artie. Are you my long lost Canadian cousin or something?
No, not likely, because I have no idea who Artie is. Is that Rob Brown's nickname?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad