Biggest national team snubs ever?

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Heatley was only born in Germany because his parents, both Canadian as far as I know, were in the military. I find this take to be extremely strange overall, as if blood had nationality or birthplace had a significant impact on a player's hockey development. Those are two of the least relevant factors in where a player should play.

Heatley's father was a hockey player who went to Germany to play, while his mother is German.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
According to Tony, it was Bill Wirtz's idea.

Never heard that before. Doesn't shock me though.

Heatley's father was a hockey player who went to Germany to play, while his mother is German.

Ah yes, I confused his origin with Rod Langway's for some reason (Taiwan for Langway, not Germany, but it was military) but I didn't know that his mother was German.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Never heard that before. Doesn't shock me though.

Ah yes, I confused his origin with Rod Langway's for some reason (Taiwan for Langway, not Germany, but it was military) but I didn't know that his mother was German.

All good, its not just you. People think that because Heatley was born in Germany with a rather un-German name during the Cold War, he must have been military-related. But Murray Heatley was there to play hockey, going over after his WHA career ended.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Fun fact: he didn't score a point in his first two appearances.

I know, but he thrived his 3rd time around.

sorry, neither of them should have been able to.

either you can play for a country due to blood (mother/father) or you were born there and moved elsewhere...but just becoming a citizen...sorry that I will never agree with one bit. good for Myers if that is what he wants to do, but he has no birthright to play for Canada and she shouldn't be allowed to, nor anyone else reversed for the US. but that is me.

Man, that is extreme. Do you really think Heatley thinks of himself as German? I mean, German in roots sure, but he wouldn't even remember being there. He was raised in Canada. Does Rod Langway think he is Taiwanese? Or Owen Nolan think he is Irish? Obviously their roots are, but I mean do they not consider themselves Canadians first? Sorry, that is just a little too nit picky for me. Where you were raised your formative years is what you are even if that means you lived in South Africa for a year or two when you were born.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->