Biggest national team snubs ever?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Draper was a Selke winner the last season and performed well at the World Cup, it's hardly an outcry... at least he had some merit. No 2006 Canadian pick is as bad as leaving Kessel or Hedman off.

I don't remember John Madden ever being in the running for a spot on the 2002 team that won the gold, and he was as good a defensive forward as there was back then. Draper was a nice player, but his selection was the highlight of a series of bizarre picks designed to build a "balanced" team that year. It's the same thing the U.S. did in '14, to disastrous results. Canada subsequently performed horribly that tournament, learned its lesson, and has predominantly selected BPAs from that point on.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Radulov and Kovalchuk not making the World Cup roster was strange. Telegin and Kulemin were there instead.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't remember John Madden ever being in the running for a spot on the 2002 team that won the gold, and he was as good a defensive forward as there was back then. Draper was a nice player, but his selection was the highlight of a series of bizarre picks designed to build a "balanced" team that year. It's the same thing the U.S. did in '14, to disastrous results. Canada subsequently performed horribly that tournament, learned its lesson, and has predominantly selected BPAs from that point on.

Draper wasn't the problem on that team, and he wasn't even the worst pick among just the forwards.

I'm very confident that Steve Yzerman at the 1991 Canada Cup was the biggest international snub ever. I don't recall any player with a higher profile ever being cut. This was basically the second or third best available forward in the world and he got cut.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I remember being quite upset that Mike Green didn't make the 2010 Olympic team. As I recall he was the best offensive dman in the NHL at the time and he'd even played quite well at the 2008 world championships.
Also still can't believe they gave Todd Bertuzzi a spot over Sidney Crosby.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Draper wasn't the problem on that team, and he wasn't even the worst pick among just the forwards.

I'm very confident that Steve Yzerman at the 1991 Canada Cup was the biggest international snub ever. I don't recall any player with a higher profile ever being cut. This was basically the second or third best available forward in the world and he got cut.

Came here to say Yzerman in 1991. That is the correct answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad