Biggest heartbreaks you've endured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
At what times have you had a big heartbreak? A time when a big goal was scored against your team that you remember where you were and how you reacted. I'll share some of mine I can remember.

'96 World Cup - When Hull tied it with just over three minutes to go. I remember thinking that we'll just get them in OT. Then Amonte's goal a minute later I just stared at the TV in shock. My dad laughed at my reaction when he saw me.

'98 Olympics - In the shootout I got more tense and more angry as it went on. I remember being as nervous as a cat when Jagr had his shot against Roy and it went off the post. Then when Shanahan couldnt beat Hasek I remember taking my stick (for whatever reason I had one near my TV) and slamming it against the ground so hard the blade broke! :amazed:

'99 WJC - When the OT winner went in I remember doing a lot of cursing and at the same time feeling sorry for Luongo who had just put on a clinic against the Russians in that game.

'02 Palyoffs - Seeing Jeff O'Neills goals go in in OT in Game 6 against the Leafs was rotten! I have hated him ever since, just hatd his black eye at the time too! For some reason I had a very quiet anger at the time. I guess I expected it

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
Last year, Game 7, Calgary vs. Tampa Bay.

#1) Obviously, the less-deserving team won the Cup. :)

#2) Jordan Leopold ALMOST tying up the game at the end, until Khabby shows us why he's one of the best in the game.

Also, the improper clearing attempt in Game 6, where St. Louis capitalized and scored the game winner, robbing Calgary of the Cup. How sick would that have been if the Flames won it in Calgary? Crap, I just reopened old wounds.

:cry:

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
'02 Palyoffs - Seeing Jeff O'Neills goals go in in OT in Game 6 against the Leafs was rotten! I have hated him ever since, just hatd his black eye at the time too! For some reason I had a very quiet anger at the time. I guess I expected it

This is my biggest heartbreak as well, although I'm still a big O'Neil fan

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Stanley Cup Finals, May 24th 1980. 7:11 of overtime, Bob Nystrom's goal over Pete Peeters to win the Stanley Cup. Great, now I'm sad again!!

espo*

Steelhead16 said:
Stanley Cup Finals, May 24th 1980. 7:11 of overtime, Bob Nystrom's goal over Pete Peeters to win the Stanley Cup. Great, now I'm sad again!!
lol,my brother still curses at it and swears to this day that the play was offside.

espo*

World cup in 96 was big but 98 in Nagano was hearthbreaking,i wanted us to win so bad.If we just could have carried on with overtime play i swear we would have got them.I f%$kin hate shoot-outs.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Two come to mind for me.

2000 - Arnott in double OT to win the Cup for the Devils in Dallas. Dallas wasn't the better team; they were old, slow and really, really beaten up. But they'd scratched and clawed their way back into that series and really had me believing they could repeat.

And god that game...that was where Sydor tore ligaments in his ankle and literally drug himself in front of the net trying to block a shot when he realized his ankle wouldn't support any weight. And that was the game where I swore Arnott should have been penalized for pitchforking Nieuwendyk in the face-off circle. And where Lehtinen, I believe, caught a high stick which cut open his cheek with no call.

And yeah, that was where someone (Hatcher?) gave Sykora a concussion too. But I cried at the end of that (and yes, I'm a girl. Literally).

And then 2003. Not the best game by any means, but game 1 verses the frickin Mighty frickin Ducks and J frickin S frickin Giguere and his puffy pads. 5OT. You can't imagine how deflating it was to be in that building, after the Stars had dominated OT, to have Sykora score less than a minute into the fifth OT.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Winnipeg Jets - Calgary Flames series
13 April 1985

Jamie Macoun vicously cross-checks Dale Hawerchuk, putting him out for the remainder of the series (broken ribs). :madfire:

The Jets go on to win the series but without Hawerchuk are no match against Edmonton.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
KrazyCanuck19 said:
Game 7 of the 1994 Finals. Nathan Lafayette.....PING!

:madfire:

I was only nine years old at that time so I wasn't too upset. The biggest heartbreak for me would have to be Gelinas' goal this last postseason to knock the Canucks out.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Game 7 of the 1994 Finals. Nathan Lafayette.....PING!

Agreed!

Although I was young at the time I do still remember it. I also remember the reaction of my father, which wasn't pretty hahaha. He may or may not have thrown a chair off a porch.

FlyersFan10*

2000 - Philadelphia has Jersey down 3-1. Jersey wins game 5 and then game 6 goes to Jersey. Mellonhead didn't need to play. He should have just stayed away. But no, he had to play, and as a result, suffered the bone crushing hit from Scott Stevens that nearly ended his career. Philadelphia goes on to lose the game and then the series as Jersey wins in Philadelphia in Game 7. Lindros completely killed any momentum Philadelphia had in the series. As well, that was the series in which I thought Boucher had grown into a number 1, but we all know he had a Blaine Lacher-esque career swoon and he hasn't been the same since.

Burnaby_Joe*

'98 Olympics

Game 7,2003, the Wild eliminated the Avs in OT. :cry:

acr*

Blowing a 3-1 lead to those damned diving Habs. All of the last three games were torture to watch. Game 5 can really be summed up by the one play where the linesman jumped on the bench to avoid the puck, ended up sitting on Thornton's stick, ripping it out of his hands and then the Habs forward skated to the net by himself for a goal with Joe unable to check him. The whole game was that ugly, flat effort, terrible refs, stupid penalties. Game 6 was frustrating, and I still can't believe they couldn't score a frickin' goal in game 7. That was just terrible.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My Top 2 Hockey Heartbreaks (goals):

1. When Nedved scored in one of the longest overtime playoff games to stop my beloved Caps from finally upsetting those friggin' Penguins.

2. When Hull's non-goal in OT of game six cost the Sabres the Stanley Cup.

My Top 2 Hockey Heartbreaks (non-goals):

1. When Trevor Linden was traded away from Vancouver my heart was broken.

2. When Crawford didn't choose Gretz for the shootout, I never felt worse (while watching a game).

KariyaIsGod*

First of all...

The goal that shouldn't have coutned in 99'. Robbed ym Sabres of the cup...

Secondly,

Gary Suter viciously cross checks Paul Kariya on a play that should have seen him barred from the league, pretty much ending an unbelievably promising career...

Phanuthier*

Ice Cream Man said:
Last year, Game 7, Calgary vs. Tampa Bay.

#1) Obviously, the less-deserving team won the Cup. :)

#2) Jordan Leopold ALMOST tying up the game at the end, until Khabby shows us why he's one of the best in the game.

Also, the improper clearing attempt in Game 6, where St. Louis capitalized and scored the game winner, robbing Calgary of the Cup. How sick would that have been if the Flames won it in Calgary? Crap, I just reopened old wounds.

:cry:
That, and

#3) Marcus Nilson almost ending Game 6 in OT

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
2003 playoffs, game 7 in the Ottawa-New Jersey series. 2:14 to go in the third period of a 2-2 tie, but Friesen scores for New Jersey and breaks my heart. Seeing Redden slumped over on the ice after and being pestered by that Scott Oake idiot ... *cries*

Zoo

Jul 29, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
Devils vs Senators 2002 playoffs

Jeff Friesen's goal that sunk the sens .... too years ago. After a break down in there defensive zone... Redden and Havlat :confused:

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Big Phil said:
At what times have you had a big heartbreak? A time when a big goal was scored against your team that you remember where you were and how you reacted. I'll share some of mine I can remember.

'96 World Cup - When Hull tied it with just over three minutes to go. I remember thinking that we'll just get them in OT. Then Amonte's goal a minute later I just stared at the TV in shock. My dad laughed at my reaction when he saw me.

'98 Olympics - In the shootout I got more tense and more angry as it went on. I remember being as nervous as a cat when Jagr had his shot against Roy and it went off the post. Then when Shanahan couldnt beat Hasek I remember taking my stick (for whatever reason I had one near my TV) and slamming it against the ground so hard the blade broke! :amazed:

'99 WJC - When the OT winner went in I remember doing a lot of cursing and at the same time feeling sorry for Luongo who had just put on a clinic against the Russians in that game.

Uh....Martin Gelinas scored that one.

Rather Gingerly 1*

One of mine would be the 1981 Canada Cup. Canada had such a great team and then that last game and it all fell apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad