Biggest Grand Slam of Them All

Status
Not open for further replies.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Check out this quote on Scott Neidermayer (from TSN)

"The 31-year-old blue-liner could add more hardware to a resume that already includes Olympic gold, world championship gold, world junior gold, three Stanley Cup rings, a World Cup title and a Memorial Cup championship."

Fetisov, and Larinov won the Sr./Jr. WC, Olympics, the Canada Cup and THE CUP, but surely no one has also bagged the Mem Cup. (An asterix for those Red Army greats, since it would of been dangerous for them to try and play Major Junior!)

Has anybody else come close to this record?

Iggy won a Mem Cup but no Stanley Cup or Sr. WC. Sakic won a Mem Cup too, but no World Championship.

Forsberg has never won the Canada / World Cup.

How many others are close?

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I don't think the Memorial Cup should be included in this list of "Grand Slam wins", as most Europeans and Americans would be "left out" as they've never played for Canadian junior teams. Fetisov and Larionov on the other hand won the Russian national championships several times, which could also be included in their list of wins, but not counting towards the "Grand Slam wins" as mostly Russian players have won that championship, similar to how mostly Canadian players have won the Memorial Cup.

So the only ones I'd count as the "Grand Slam" would be the Jr. and Sr. World Championships, the Olympics, the Canada/World Cup and the Stanley Cup.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Petey21 said:
I don't think the Memorial Cup should be included in this list of "Grand Slam wins", as most Europeans and Americans would be "left out" as they've never played for Canadian junior teams.

No argument -- that's why I mention it in my post.

But I think Scotty is the only Canadian to pull this off, and other than those two Russians legends, who else has won the other five championships?

Macman

May 15, 2004
Lindros has won a Memorial Cup, at least one world junior title, a Canada Cup/World Cup, and an Olympic gold. And yet some still question his ability to win.

Ryan Smyth has won a world junior, at least two world championships, a World Cup and an Olympics.

Last edited:

time

Feb 26, 2005
Macman said:
Lindros has won a Memorial Cup, at least one world junior title, a Canada Cup/World Cup, and an Olympic gold. And yet some still question his ability to win.

Even though he is now a Leaf, I am still inclined to cut Lindros some slack. People forget how really good he was for a few years, and he has always played hard for his country. I think Clarke naming him Captain of the '98 team was stupid. His play never recovered from the guilt he carried from that loss; he was far too young to assume that kind of responsibility (would you name Thornton captain of this team over Lemieux?).

Vic Rattlehead*

Petey21 said:
So the only ones I'd count as the "Grand Slam" would be the Jr. and Sr. World Championships, the Olympics, the Canada/World Cup and the Stanley Cup.

Hmmm, Thornton only needs a World Championship gold and a Stanley Cup.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:
... and an Olympic gold, which he hasn't won, considering that he has never played at the Olympics.

Hey Thornton has won a Spengler Cup and a European Championship also! But no Mem Cup. . . I won't comment on the Olympic medal -- no need to jinx anyone.

Jazz

time said:
Check out this quote on Scott Neidermayer (from TSN)

"The 31-year-old blue-liner could add more hardware to a resume that already includes Olympic gold, world championship gold, world junior gold, three Stanley Cup rings, a World Cup title and a Memorial Cup championship."

Fetisov, and Larinov won the Sr./Jr. WC, Olympics, the Canada Cup and THE CUP, but surely no one has also bagged the Mem Cup. (An asterix for those Red Army greats, since it would of been dangerous for them to try and play Major Junior!)

Has anybody else come close to this record?

Iggy won a Mem Cup but no Stanley Cup or Sr. WC. Sakic won a Mem Cup too, but no World Championship.

Forsberg has never won the Canada / World Cup.

How many others are close?

Wasn't Joe Sakič a part of the 1997 World Championship Gold medal winning team??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad