Biggest freak of nature to hit the NHL this year

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah so, he is 6'5" 235lbs

I am 6'3" 230lbs, does that mean I am a freak of nature too.

Bertuzzi (6'3" 245lbs), Laraque (6'3" 245lbs), Lindros (6'4" 240lbs), Antropov (6'6" 230lbs), Derek Boogaard (6'7" 270lbs), Daze (6'6" 230lbs), Steve Bernier (6'2" 230lbs), Fedoruk (6'2" 240lbs), Jagr (6'3" 245lbs), Lecavalier (6'4" 223lbs), Steve McKenna (6'8" 252lbs), Dustin Penner (6'4" 243lbs)

I can go on but you get the picture, Mikhnov isn't a freak of nature as the guys in bold are bigger than Alexei. Talk about another over-hyped Oiler prospect. And I am an Oiler fan and don't believe how much Mikhnov is over-rated.
It's not the size that makes him a freak of nature, it's the fact that he has good hands and skill ability at that size. I certainly classify Bertuzzi as a very rare player, he has phenomenal hands for a guy that big.

None of us have any clue how Mikhnov will develop, he's just an intriguing guy to watch. He certainly has the potential to be a star just like he has the potential to be another Artyukhin.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
None of us have any clue how Mikhnov will develop, he's just an intriguing guy to watch. He certainly has the potential to be a star just like he has the potential to be another Artyukhin.

Artyukhin left for money, no because he didn't have the talent to make it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as an effective power forward in the NHL some day (just not with Tampa). I wouldn't label Artyukhin a bust just yet, as your post seems to suggest.

Mikhnov might be hurt by the Oiler's AHL situation (or lack thereof). I always hate to see a prospect fail to develop by seeing him thrown in too quickly. Is he a guarantee to make the squad?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Mikhnov might be hurt by the Oiler's AHL situation (or lack thereof). I always hate to see a prospect fail to develop by seeing him thrown in too quickly. Is he a guarantee to make the squad?

I think he's probably got the best shot at a spot of any of our rookies this year. Mostly due to age (24), exp (6 years against men in a strong league), and his perf at the WC (tied for 3rd on the Russian team with Semin and after Ovvy, and Malkin).

At worst he is likely our 13th or 14th FW

Schremp, Pouliot, Mikhnov, Jacques, Winchester, and Thoresen will be fighting it out for the last 3/4 FW spots.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mikhnov is a very intriguing guy, I always liked him, and when I finally got to see his highlite video, I couldn't believe the speed that this guy posseses. He really could be an X factor for the Oilers this season. Even if he's only on the 4th line, we can have at least 2 solid players on our 4th line this year (something that couldn't be said last season).

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I think he's probably got the best shot at a spot of any of our rookies this year. Mostly due to age (24), exp (6 years against men in a strong league), and his perf at the WC (tied for 3rd on the Russian team with Semin and after Ovvy, and Malkin).

At worst he is likely our 13th or 14th FW

Schremp, Pouliot, Mikhnov, Jacques, Winchester, and Thoresen will be fighting it out for the last 3/4 FW spots.

Oh wow, I didn't know that he already had 6 years against quality players. He starts in the NHL, unless he totally blows camp.

Jack Torrence

Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I say it should be the Ukrainian Mikhnov. 6 foot 5 230lbs and can't speak a word of english.

ps...I like my women the same way

Wait, you like womento be Russian and 6'5 230lbs, I know it was meant to be a joke, but i dont think this was the instance to use it.

1datsyuk3*

throw a kid with down syndrome on the line with Ovechkin and Malkin and he'll put up numbers....

This guy is overhyped...

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Cerebral, I totally agree with you on every aspect here. A highlight video can make an average player look like an all-star. However, this highlight video was made from one tournament. To find that much impressive video from one tourny is IMO outstanding.
For those who have not already seen it..keep in mind that the footage was all from last years worlds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AYdzf4nC0g

That video was made from a couple tourneys.

He's wearing #7 in the World Championship clips. Everything else (#8) is from the Euro Hockey Tour - although most of it is from the WC.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
throw a kid with down syndrome on the line with Ovechkin and Malkin and he'll put up numbers....

This guy is overhyped...
Keep in mind his hot streak started in the Russian Elite League playoffs without Malkin or Ovechkin. He was amongst the leading scorers in the post-season and scored a lot of goals...

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

This guy is overhyped...

You decided that from watching his 2 minute highlight video?

If you had watched the games you'd have seen that Mikhnov did not play on a line with Ovechkin and Malkin. He was on as the 6th attacker and scored the tying goal in the clip that shows him on the ice with those guys.

Yea he's probably over hyped, but your criticism doesn't make sense.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
He could be a Bertuzzi...he could be a Viktor Kozlov.

His size doesn't jump out at me enough to warrant a thread pimping him. Now if he was in the same league as Chara it would be a different story.

I admittedly don't know much about him but his lack of PIM isn't a very good sign for someone his size. You figure he'd get 20 PIM for just making hits look like penalties if he played tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->