Biggest fake to an injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Think of a time when a player dove, or was hit and fell down like he was hit by a Mac Truck and then looked fine just seconds later.

To me I think of the Domi/Niedermayer hit in the '01 playoffs. Yes I'll admit it was a cheap shot Domi did on Scott but Niedermayer was carried out on a stretcher and then he's walking up and down the Hallway talking on his cell phone. I mean he looks like he's going to be in the Hospital and then he's fine? :dunno:

Then of course last year there's Mike Ribeiro's disgusting show. I wanted the Habs to win but that was the wrong way to win by lying on the ice like your having a heart attack just to have a stoppage of play late in the game. The worst thing is when he got up he was fine and then taunted the Bruin bench, as if to say he knew he was faking it. Its a damn shame too cause Ribeiro's a good Hockey player.

In the same Bos/Mtl series in '04 we all remember this one when Kovalev coughs it up in OT after he got slashed and then ambelished it a little bit. What happens? Glen Murray picks the puck up and wins it in OT. I'd have hung him if he was my teammate.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Niedermayer could have just been knocked out for a while. When that happens they don't risk anything because you have no idea how serious the injury could be.

Happened to Kariya 2 years ago and he returns to the game and scores a goal 10 minutes later. When Stevens nailed him and I saw Kariya just lay there my only thought was that Kariya is done. No way he recovers from that after his previous concussions and whatnot. Lo and behold he comes back to the game.

I don't think either case was "faking" but more it looking worse than it actually was.

chooch*

norrisnick said:
Niedermayer could have just been knocked out for a while. When that happens they don't risk anything because you have no idea how serious the injury could be.

Happened to Kariya 2 years ago and he returns to the game and scores a goal 10 minutes later. When Stevens nailed him and I saw Kariya just lay there my only thought was that Kariya is done. No way he recovers from that after his previous concussions and whatnot. Lo and behold he comes back to the game.

I don't think either case was "faking" but more it looking worse than it actually was.

When 99 was "slashed" by Billy Smith and went down in a heap in the finals. Then McTavish ran Smith a little and Smith went down as if to mock what happened earlier.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
I don't know about biggest but some of the BEST fakes were anytime, and I do mean anytime Dominic Hasek got ?hit?. This guys overacting put all other goalies to shame.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
chooch said:
When 99 was "slashed" by Billy Smith and went down in a heap in the finals. Then McTavish ran Smith a little and Smith went down as if to mock what happened earlier.

Does every post you have insult Gretzky? It is as if you are unable to admit he was a great player for some reason.

For myself it would be Claude Lemieux when with Montreal when he was rolling around on the ice, and the coach (I forget who it was though) wouldn't send the trainer out because he was faking it.

KOVALEV10*

Bulldog fan said:
I don't know about biggest but some of the BEST fakes were anytime, and I do mean anytime Dominic Hasek got ?hit?. This guys overacting put all other goalies to shame.

:biglaugh: Ask Habs fans what they think of Hasek and if he faked or dived... 1998... playoffs anyone?

The Joker*

Hasek, Ribeiro, Kovalev (then running into his teammate and leting the other team pick up the puck and walk in alone, then the next game he's showing his "bandages" to the cameras).

KOVALEV10*

Oil3rs said:
Hasek, Ribeiro, Kovalev (then running into his teammate and leting the other team pick up the puck and walk in alone, then the next game he's showing his "bandages" to the cameras).

Hasek's was fake.. Ribeiro's was fake but Kovalev's wasnt fake. It sure wasnt a good idea to leave the puck there but what the hell was Souray doing bumping into him. And Kovalev unlike the other two was slashed on his hand and you dont know how bad it hurts.

The Joker*

KOVALEV10 said:
Hasek's was fake.. Ribeiro's was fake but Kovalev's wasnt fake. It sure wasnt a good idea to leave the puck there but what the hell was Souray doing bumping into him. And Kovalev unlike the other two was slashed on his hand and you dont know how bad it hurts.
So he stood there, shook his wrist and ran into his teammate? Whether it was real or not he's an idiot

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
KOVALEV10 said:
Ohhh, the little south park character has touched a nerve ;) .

The Joker*

And if it's real why would he be purposely showing off his (once again for the purpose of this thread) "bandages" to the cameras.

KOVALEV10*

Oil3rs said:
So he stood there, shook his wrist and ran into his teammate? Whether it was real or not he's an idiot

:biglaugh: He's an idiot yet he's one of the most talented players in the league and I dont care what anyone thinks, when on top of his game he's top 10 in the whole league.

KOVALEV10*

Oil3rs said:
And if it's real why would he be purposely showing off his (once again for the purpose of this thread) "bandages" to the cameras.

Maybe to prove to the people who dont believe a single thing they see that it actually was a real injury?

The Joker*

KOVALEV10 said:
:biglaugh: He's an idiot yet he's one of the most talented players in the league and I dont care what anyone thinks, when on top of his game he's top 10 in the whole league.
Should replacement players be put into place, and he be the only player from the NHLPA to cross over, then yes.

The Joker*

KOVALEV10 said:
Maybe to prove to the people who dont believe a single thing they see that it actually was a real injury?
If your a Habs fan, that's fine, but why don't you find someone from your team that doesn't apply to Don Cherry's ***** comment relating to Europeans and Quebecois and put a picture of that person in your avatar? I mean ffs Butters could beat him up :yo:

KOVALEV10*

Oil3rs said:
If your a Habs fan, that's fine, but why don't you find someone from your team that doesn't apply to Don Cherry's ***** comment relating to Europeans and Quebecois and put a picture of that person in your avatar? I mean ffs Butters could beat him up :yo:

Cherry.... the biggest ass clown of all time. A guy who hates the habs because we always swept his team in the 70-s :biglaugh: and because he's obviously the biggest yet stupidest leaf fan in thee world.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
KOVALEV10 said:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: I could have took that weak slash with NO glove and it wouldnt have hurt. SO...hes is either:

A) Diving
B) He the BIGGEST Puss to ever play the sport

You decide.

And yes...it was sourays fault for bumping into the "injured" Kovalev...damn that Souray...they should have kicked him off the team after that!

KOVALEV10*

He's a diver because he's a hab or european? Shouldn't this guy be given a warning?

The Joker*

KOVALEV10 said:
He's a diver because he's a hab or european? Shouldn't this guy be given a warning?
Omg dude chill out I'm kidding, he's a diver because he's Kovalev and he's a wuss.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Kovalev in the 1995 playoffs was the first one that comes to mind. The guy looked like he'd been shot by an uzi. Not only that, but Sakic went down the ice, scored, and had it waved off due to Kovalev's Razzi-worthy performance.

Claude Lemieux was notoriously bad on faking injuries. He'd get a soft shot and go down like a ton of bricks. Great player in the clutch, bad actor.

Faking injuries was really epidemic in the mid 1990s, but it really has gone down in recent years, likely because some of these players realized what asses they were making of themselves.

I've always drawn a line between diving and faking an injury. A dive, done at the right time and done subtley, can be an important technique. Ask any referee in the 1980s, and they'll tell you Ray Bourque was a masterful diver. Late in a close game, if it was a close game, and his team was in a close one, if he felt a tug, he'd go down, but he'd do it in a way that was believable and didn't embarass the refs. He'd get the PP every time. (I'm referencing the 1988-89 THN Yearbook here). Gretzky was a bad diver, and he did it a lot in his younger days, but not near as much as he became older and started to realize his stature in the game. (Maturity, anyone?). Mario Lemieux did a lot of it, too, and was terrible. So damn big that it was painstakingly obvious when he was diving. Claude Lemieux was as bad of a diver as he was an actor. Hasek is likely the worst I've seen among the goaltending fraternity. Truly an awful diver.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:

If he really wanted to prove it was a real injury he would have showed all the camera's the bruise that the slash caused instead of covering up noting with a bunch of bandages. What kills me about it all was when the Habs knocked the Bruins out and the players all shoke hands, Kovalev shoke hands with his left hand because his right hand was way to sensitive to shake hands but he could still play hockey. :shakehead

The Joker*

TJF said:
If he really wanted to prove it was a real injury he would have showed all the camera's the bruise that the slash caused instead of covering up noting with a bunch of bandages. What kills me about it all was when the Habs knocked the Bruins out and the players all shoke hands, Kovalev shoke hands with his left hand because his right hand was way to sensitive to shake hands but he could still play hockey. :shakehead
No kidding, if he was actually in pain he wouldn't need to do stupid stuff to try and "prove it"

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bulldog fan said:
Just as his ability to stop the puck put other goalies to shame.

Even Sakic has dived. It works sometimes.

I'm not a fan of turning the sport into a version of soccer though.

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

i may be mixing this up but didn't chris chelios once go down and start picking his nose to draw blood in the early 90s? that has to be near the top. other 'honourable mentions'

I Kovalev gets a tap on his glove
II Hasek dives the wrong way after someone skates into him
III Roberio has seizure on ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad