Biggest disappointment so far

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Outside of the Fabbri injury, not mad at him just his knee for not being fair to Fabbri. I also thought Parayko was going to take a step in development, he had been good just not great

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
It's definitely Barbashev. After last year, he should have had it locked down. That being said, maybe he needs more skill on his line? Because it's not like the existing 3rd line is doing anything without him either.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
continuing to put Steen on the point on the PP. Just put Ed out there and cut the crap. Steen goes to PP2 instead of having someone like Oskar on there. Ed might add some needed aggression to PP1, you know like actually shoot

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The revolving door that is the 3rd line. Some guys really need to step up and separate themselves from the others.

Yep, it's been a black hole for the most part but there might be signs of separation. Sundqvist seems to be getting better, although it's not resulting in a ton of scoring chances. Thought Paajarvi was effective last night, beating guys to pucks. Jaskin just can't seem to break through but can't complain too much either. I can't say I'm too disappointed with these guys because expectations weren't so high to begin with. The main problem is we effectively have two fourth lines right now. Both solid fourth lines but don't count on getting much offense from either. Not an ideal situation long term, so yeah someone is gonna have to start producing a little more offense from that third line.

I guess I'll join others in saying Parayko has been a mild disappointment, in a season with few things to complain about so far. Perhaps he's trying to focus more on his all-around game at the expense of his point production. If that is the case, it might be best long term for both him and the Blues. He certainly does look more effective in the D zone, but I miss those times he would drive to the net or actually score on a slap shot.

Oh yeah and Steen on the PP point. I'm disappointed every time I see that.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I agree about the comments regarding Sundqvist/Paajarvi/Jaskin. I just wish they were doing what they’re doing as the 4th line, with Sanford - Fabbri - Berglund in the top 9.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Outside of the Fabbri injury, not mad at him just his knee for not being fair to Fabbri. I also thought Parayko was going to take a step in development, he had been good just not great
Parayko still is a defenseman, and he hasn't disappointed. His offense though....which is what I assume your refering to is meh. He is trying, but its not happening.

I'm only mentioning the defense part because I feel it gets lost on HFs when talking about defenseman...and clowns like Burns are so highly touted

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Parayko is doing fine. He looks good in the O zone, he’s just not getting points. Not really a big deal to me that he only has 5 or 6 points over a 15 game sample. He’s also only getting the last ~40 seconds of PP with our sad 2nd unit.

Reactions: rumrokh

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
With the team clicking as well as they have so far, it’s hard to find disappointments.

I agree with Barbs though. He seemingly took his foot off the gas. He needs to pick it up and claim a spot soonish or some other guys could jump him and make him very expendable.

Bennett’s been a disappointment so far. I didn’t expect much but I expected better than this.

I suppose Jaskin and Paajarvi are a little disappointing...but I expected this level of disappointment so...I guess they’re not disappointing then??

Sundqvist came in without much NHL experience so he’s been fine considering that IMO.

I too am disappointed in Parayko’s offensive game. I’ve got no qualms with his D game but it seems to me that he’s lost all confidence once he enters the O zone and is completely deferring to others and playing passively. Likely overthinking it IMO.

The PP and PK are definitely disappointing. It’s hard to believe the Blues have the record they do with subpar special teams.

The most disappointing things though were the injuries to start the season. I think it helped rally the troops though so in that sense, maybe it’ll end up being a good thing. Sometimes some adversity really helps a team bond and grow.

Bouw should really help the PK when he returns. He’s pretty easily one of the best PKers in the game IMO. Bergy should help the consistency of the 3rd line too.

The most disappointing injury for the particular player that got injured though has to be Sanford. It seems pretty clear to me that Yeo found it more likely than not that Sanny would earn a spot to start the season. This should’ve been a big growth year for him so the injury was just at a horrible time for him. And he’d likely really help that 3rd line now too. Hopefully he’s able to play a bit at the end of this season.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I expected the PP to take a decent step back so that mitigates the disappointment somewhat for me. Didn't expect that from the PK, though. Even knowing they would be without Bouwmeester, I would have expected better.

I didn't think Parayko's offensive skills had the polish to warrant some of the expectations that were being tossed around here, so I'm not really disappointed with him at all. Barbashev has been by far the most disappointing player for me.

The third line isn't doing much offensively, but it's not giving up much defensively, either. Considering it's basically comprised of 4th liners, it's hard for me to be too disappointed with that.

I'd rank them PK > Barbashev >> PP for me.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I expected the PP to take a decent step back so that mitigates the disappointment somewhat for me. Didn't expect that from the PK, though. Even knowing they would be without Bouwmeester, I would have expected better.

I didn't think Parayko's offensive skills had the polish to warrant some of the expectations that were being tossed around here, so I'm not really disappointed with him at all. Barbashev has been by far the most disappointing player for me.

The third line isn't doing much offensively, but it's not giving up much defensively, either. Considering it's basically comprised of 4th liners, it's hard for me to be too disappointed with that.

I'd rank them PK > Barbashev >> PP for me.
From what I've seen the third line is able to control possession. I'm happy with that until Berglund returns and stabilizes that line.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don’t mean this to be a pile-on or *****ing thread.

If you don’t count Fabbri’s injury, which would have to win with flying colors as the biggest gut punch for this team, I have to say Barbashev has been the biggest let down. He didn’t come to camp ready to assert himself. Even if he were playing wing, I would have expected him to easily help this depleted top 9. But if you asked the coaches, I’d question who is closer to getting called up: Kostin or Barbashev? Barbashev has already blown a big opportunity this camp and early season. Will it turn into a regressed season and raise questions about his long term ceiling?

Another disappointment to a smaller degree is Parayko’s offensive play. His defense has continued to be solid, and he is still moving the puck well. But his shot is not enough of a factor in games.

Other disappointments?

This is my biggest disappointment. He was injuring goalies and breaking pexiglass as a rookie. What has happened since then?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I agree about the comments regarding Sundqvist/Paajarvi/Jaskin. I just wish they were doing what they’re doing as the 4th line, with Sanford - Fabbri - Berglund in the top 9.

Agreed. I’m been happy with the play of that line as a whole but when Berglund comes back, it will elevate the offensive prowess of that line which is sorely needed.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think as a whole, Blues fans greatly overrated Ivan Barbashev. Maybe it’s because we’ve had such a lack of centers in recent years, I’m not sure, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a top 6 center for a long period of time.

Reactions: Celtic Note

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I think as a whole, Blues fans greatly overrated Ivan Barbashev. Maybe it’s because we’ve had such a lack of centers in recent years, I’m not sure, but I don’t think he’ll ever be a top 6 center for a long period of time.

I disagree, I just interpret from coach/management comments that he really blew it this preseason. He had a really good season overall last year for a 20-21 year old, and he was a pretty prolific scorer in his junior career. But I agree you do have to wonder if he can break in as a center here since Schenn and Bergy will be here for the next 3 years and these is a decent chance Stastny will be back. Not to mention other options like Sobie, Steen, Thomas, Thompson or anyone else that we might sign or trade for.

It's hard to pick anyone but him here, hell it's even hard to be "disappointed" in Thorburn, we all know he was going to be bad.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I'll always be disappointed that Fabbri's ACL injuries will curb him from reaching his full potential. There's really not much hope that he can come back to the player he is or back to what he could be. He had such promise, I really hope he can recover from this.

Michael Scarn

Jan 30, 2015
No player has been much of a disappointment so far(Barbashev yes, just taking current roster). Injuries have forced guys to play together in roles that were unexpected. PP has been bad and biggest disappointment. How the SST line can dominate 5 on 5 and not do much on PP is frustrating. Swap Steen for Dunn/Parayko just to see what it looks like. Can’t get much worse.

Tarasenko’s shot has been a bit disappointing so far. He even said that to Kelly Chase. He’s a tick off and missing some grade A chances. It’ll come around.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'll always be disappointed that Fabbri's ACL injuries will curb him from reaching his full potential. There's really not much hope that he can come back to the player he is or back to what he could be. He had such promise, I really hope he can recover from this.
Nothing is a given, but just because he may not have the speed he once did doesn't mean he can't compensate in other areas. While I agree that he might not be the same player with the same skill set when he returns, he may be just as good and just as effective, albeit in other ways.

Reactions: mw2noobbuster

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Hard to be disappointed with the record the Blues have to start the season. I would like to see the Blues cut down on the "too many men" penalties and improve the special teams play.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The thing that is most remarkable about Fabbri is his motor and tenaciousness. I don't see how that will be impacted by the knee injury.

And any loss of speed and quickness could conceivably be offset by craftiness and vision given his high hockey IQ.

Grimlore

Mar 20, 2012
This is my biggest disappointment. He was injuring goalies and breaking pexiglass as a rookie. What has happened since then?
I mean early in the season he took a shot to his hand and was questionable to play in the next game or two. Easily understandable that this would hurt his offensive game if it is still bothering him.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Tarasenko’s shot has been a bit disappointing so far. He even said that to Kelly Chase. He’s a tick off and missing some grade A chances. It’ll come around.

I haven't seen anything about it ( and don't expect to ), but I think he may be using a different curve/stiffness on his stick. He's been trying to use a one-timer more often ( which i've hoped he would do for a couple years now ) which would need a stiffer shaft as he has always used a whippier one than most (he has always used an 85 from what I know of), and I think he just hasn't gotten completely used to it. His wrist shot hasn't seemed to have quite as much zip to it from what i've seen. I could be off here, but this would be my most (un)educated guess.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad