Biggest Calder winner bust?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Damannnnaa said:
Howe's up there I agree. It's hard to judge since Howe played for so long, and remember not all of his career was what you think of when you think of him. He was great, no question about it. But considering Bossy was taken out early from his career from a cheapshot from behind, and only played 9 1/2 seasons it's tough to judge.
Wow. I had to read your message a couple of times to make sure I am reading it right but I think you are saying that it is hard to judge who is the better right wing---Howe or Bossy. I think most knowlegeable hockey people would say Howe is the best ever folowed by rhe Rocket. Even if you only count Howe's first 10 years to make his career length comparable to Bossy's there is no question that Howe was way better. During Howes first 10 years, he had 4 Art Ross's, 2 Harts, 3 times most goals, 4 times 1st team all star, 3 times 2nd all star.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
John Flyers Fan said:
Goal scorer quite possibly .. but Howe the greatest RW of all time without question.
I wouldn't say "without question." He's my pick, and the pick of most people, but I have heard a few people (including one poster who I rank as the best that HF Boards has to offer) who firmly believe that Rocket Richard is the best RW of all-time. Both are excellent all-round forces who could dominate any aspect of the game. Those who argue for the Rocket point to his clutch play, and while he was better in the clutch than Gordie Howe, it's not like Howe has Mike Gartner's post-season record.

As for the best RWs of the 1980s, I think the discussion begins and ends with Mike Bossy and Jari Kurri. I think they're considerably ahead of anyone else in the discussion. Bossy's the best goal scorer to enter the league in the post-Original 6 era. Got the job done in the playoffs, too. Kurri was a wonderful all-round player. Scored lots of goals. Selke finalist. One of the best players on a dynasty. (Can't give a guy better praise than that).

Back to the topic at hand. reckoning mentioned Derek Sanderson. Perhaps no better case of how drugs and alcohol can ruin a career. Many B.C. hockey fans around here roll their eyes when the name Dan Russell (sports radio call-in host) is mentioned, but long-time listeners will never forget his interview with Sanderson many years ago. It might just be the best work of Russell's career. Sanderson's clean now, been clean for many years. But at his lowest point, he tried to sell his Stanley Cup rings so that he could get money for drugs.

pnep, as always, excellent work. You're virtually an encyclopedia of the sport. If there's a question to be asked, pnep always has an answer. Don't always agree with the methodology, but I think we've all learned a little something from you.

zoomba, are you aware of how long the Calder has been around? There have been many players who won it and gradually declined afterwards.

Ogopogo*

Damannnnaa said:
Howe's up there I agree. It's hard to judge since Howe played for so long, and remember not all of his career was what you think of when you think of him. He was great, no question about it. But considering Bossy was taken out early from his career from a cheapshot from behind, and only played 9 1/2 seasons it's tough to judge.

Respectfully I must say you obviously know little or nothing of Howe's career. I challenge you to find a better 4 year stretch than what Gordie Howe put together from the 1950-51 to 1953-54 season. The only one you can find to top that stretch is by a guy named Wayne.

BTW, career-wise Howe was a more dominant goal scorer. If Bossy had played another 5 or 7 years perhaps he could have come close.

Last edited by a moderator:

chooch*

Ogopogo said:
The only one you can find to top that stretch is by a guy named Wayne.

Come on, fess up. How much hockey have you really watched?

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Calder Trophy:

Larry Reagan attained the NHL in his late 20s! He enjoyed 2 fine seasons in Boston, before a brief stint with the Maple Leafs...A great stickhandler!!

thefifthsedin*

Biggest Calder winner bust?

sergei 'the pertinacious fade out' samsonov

he had it, then fumbled and dropped it, he looked for it, but he didn't find it, it was like searching for a nail in a haystack ... it was like searching for wayne gretzky in his own end zone :D ... it was like searching for a cute goal on a mark messier highlight reel :D ... it was li .. oh?, ok, no more similes ;)

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Hmm...

Howie Meeker got 33% of his career goals in his rookie year.
Penti Lund was a great minor leaguer who did ok with ice time on a terrible team, but couldn't get regular ice time on decent teams.
Russ Blinco was pretty mediocre.

Oilers1*

I'm a little surprised that Barrett Jackman hasn't gotten at least a passing mention, yet.

Considering that, more often than not, the Calder goes to whoever got the most points as a rookie, for a defensive defenseman to break through and win it, is pretty much unheralded. I'm going to say this without looking and risk looking silly, but I doubt its ever happened before.

Not that Jackman isn`t a good player, but for a guy who plays a quiet, efficient game to draw that much attention as a rookie, you`d think he`d be further ahead than he is right now.

He never did become the next Adam Foote. And he`s a far cry from his contemporary, Robyn Regehr.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I'm a little surprised that Barrett Jackman hasn't gotten at least a passing mention, yet.

Considering that, more often than not, the Calder goes to whoever got the most points as a rookie, for a defensive defenseman to break through and win it, is pretty much unheralded. I'm going to say this without looking and risk looking silly, but I doubt its ever happened before.

Not that Jackman isn`t a good player, but for a guy who plays a quiet, efficient game to draw that much attention as a rookie, you`d think he`d be further ahead than he is right now.

He never did become the next Adam Foote. And he`s a far cry from his contemporary, Robyn Regehr.

During that Calder season he was a dominant defensive force. It was simply amazing to see how strong he was already and how great defensively he was. IMHO he was like a less offensive but not as stupid Chris Pronger. A player you didnt want to play against and always made you pay the price.

If it wasnt for all those injuries then who knows what kind of player he would be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad