Biggest busts of the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clem22

May 24, 2004
SANIPASS was lost to injury, and chicago wanted him to play a goon game, he was a complete player...not an 18yr old fighter..IMO

how about fogarty? all the talents in the world...just couldnt hold everything together. I feel bad for him and his family...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How about Joe Murphy?

He wasn't a real bust because he was a decent NHLer for many years, but if I had a first overall pick and I got a Joe Murphy, I would be pretty unhappy.

Brandon Convery and Todd Warriner were pretty big busts too.

JayQ

May 10, 2004
Douggy said:
Damn pnep, you must have a huge database!

Going up to the 1999 Draft, Sittler is the highest drafted player to never play a game in the NHL. :teach:

The following players have the pottential to tie or beat him:
Lars Jonsson (7th overall, Boston, 2000)
Mikko Koivu (6th overall, Minnesota, 2001)
Ryan Whitney (5th overall, Pittsburgh, 2002)
Thomas Vanek (5th overall, Buffalo, 2003)
Ryan Suter (7th overall, Nashville, 2003)

Of course Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeny Malkin, Cam Barker, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler, Al Montoya, and Rostislav Olesz haven't played any NHL games and still have a shot at the 'record'.

Whitney will play in the next game that the Penguins play. No way is he going to be a bust. The others are laughable too

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Little Tommy Brown
He always wanted to be a hockey player but as a quadraplegic he knew he was domed ( just a joke please )

Badger Bob

Long-time Red Wings fans will recall all the hype surrounding Dale McCourt, who was selected first overall. He never lived up to it. They eventually sent him packing with Mike Foligno (definitely not a bust) to Buffalo for Danny Gare (former 50 goal scorer!) & another player (help me Sabres fans).

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
JayQ said:
Whitney will play in the next game that the Penguins play. No way is he going to be a bust. The others are laughable too

I believe what he means is that those are the players who are "eligible" to be the highest drafted player never to play in the NHL. He's not saying they will be, or even if they'll be busts or not.

Personally, I'm fairly confident Vanek suits up at least once for the Sabres. :jump:

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Badger Bob said:
Long-time Red Wings fans will recall all the hype surrounding Dale McCourt, who was selected first overall. He never lived up to it. They eventually sent him packing with Mike Foligno (definitely not a bust) to Buffalo for Danny Gare (former 50 goal scorer!) & another player (help me Sabres fans).

1978 - DET transferred rights to Dale McCourt to LA for Red Wings signing free agent Rogie Vachon

1979 - LA traded rights to Dale McCourt to DET for Andre St. Laurent and Red Wings 1st round picks in 1980, Larry Murphy, and Doug Smith, in 1981 Entry Drafts

1981 - DET traded Dale McCourt, Mike Foligno and Brent Peterson to BUF for Danny Gare, Jim Schoenfeld and Derek Smith

1983 - TOR signed Dale McCourt as a free agent

Love Machine

Jan 1, 2003
Computer
Visit site
GaryU said:
Everett Sanipass.
LOL I played in a softball tournament against him a couple weeks ago. He was pitching, and we scored 17 runs off him in the 2nd inning. I led off the inning, batted 3 times, and was on deck for the 4th time.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Kafka said:
Daigle is only 200 lbs! Lindros with is 230 lbs, is by far a biggest bust.... plus there where also many cards dedicated to him before he played in the NHL.
That's a joke right? To me, you cannot consider a player to be a bust when the reason they never dominated was because of injury... Lindros, before the concussion issues, was possibly the most dominant player in the game... If I remember correctly, prior to his concussion history, Lindros' points per game was something like 3rd or 4th best of all time... Yeah, that's a real bust... :joker:

Sure Lindros hasn't been that same dominant player since then, but that's not due to his skills going to crap or having a lack of desire (a la Daigle) or anything... It's a matter of the guy having serious injury issues and altering his game to allow himself to continue on with his career despite the problems... I'm fully convinced that if Lindros wanted to, he could go out and be the most dominant in the game again, hitting everything that moves, fighting, going into the tough areas and putting up major points... The only problem is, if he did, his career would likely last another 10 or 15 games before he's KO'ed and a vegetable for life...

Even now, Lindros was still the Rangers best player pretty much every night last year (not saying that much)... He is still a very good player, just not the player he once was... He's made a smart choice by choosing to alter his style and extend his career...

Lindros IS NOT A BUST!

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Stefan has a 40 pt season under his belt to his credit and will probably be a decent seconod liner for Atlanta. He can thank Heatley and Kovalchuk for lifting the pressure off his back.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Oh I totally forgot, ERIC LECOMPTE! First round draft pick in 1993 (which is probably one of the deepest drafts ever) and he now plays in Lugano.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
BMWM3owner said:
How far are we going back?...outside of 10 yrs I'd have to say Greg Joly

Jason Bonsignore is a good one

Alexander Volchkov is definetly up there but its not exactly like it was a suprise that he was a bust...at the time he was drafted he was considered more bust then boom, a big gamble by the caps that didnt work out
man i kept thinking bonsignore would turn it around.

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
hotgoalie11565 said:
First; how can you call Normand Leveille a bust? His career was cut short by a brain hemmorhage.

How about Patrik Stefan? He has never really hit his stride after five seasons.

3rd highest scorer in the 99 draft class though after Comrie and Havlat. It might have been a bust year, but depite how far he has come (or rather hasnt) and comparing to the rest of his draft year he was not even that big of a reach at 1st. Zetterberg, comrie, of course Havlat and a few others probably would have went ahead of him, but I dont think he is a bust. both based on comparing to the rest of his class or in what he has done.

Personally I dont see any guys like Daigle, Ricci, or Stefan busts. I see a big difference between being a bust and failing to live up to expectations. I agree with you though that guys whose career is cut short by injury such as Pat Peake or Brett Lindros cannot be considered busts either IMO. But these are just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->