Big winner of Edm-Philly trade: Jeff Woywitka

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trade could not be better for Jeff Woywitka.

Woywitka gets to move home to Alberta, and out of the Philly system. The team was already choked with defensmen. He got leapfrogged by one of the best defensive prospects to come along in a while in Pitkanen.

He becomes the clear #1 defensive prospect in the organization. Let's face it, Woywitka deserved to have had a shot at making an NHL roster this year. On almost any other team he would have. Edmonton will certainly give him the shot he should have had, if not this year, definitely out of camp next.

Woywitka was easily one of the top 5-10 defensive prospects coming into the year. He should have had his shot already, but now he'll get it.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is an excellent trade for Jeff Woywitka. He was barried in Philly by the barrage of NHL ready defenseman. Heck the Flyers have Dennis Seidenberg playing in the AHL, he'd be a defenseman on pretty much every team in the NHL. Then you throw in of course Pitkanen and Jim Vandermeer.

Woywitka is an excellent defensive prospect. He isn't flashy, but he's consistent and he gets the job done at both ends of the ice.

A perfect defenseman for the Oilers future IMO and a possible sound partner for Marc Andre Bergeron.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
This trade could not be better for Jeff Woywitka.

Woywitka gets to move home to Alberta, and out of the Philly system. The team was already choked with defensmen. He got leapfrogged by one of the best defensive prospects to come along in a while in Pitkanen.

He becomes the clear #1 defensive prospect in the organization. Let's face it, Woywitka deserved to have had a shot at making an NHL roster this year. On almost any other team he would have. Edmonton will certainly give him the shot he should have had, if not this year, definitely out of camp next.

Woywitka was easily one of the top 5-10 defensive prospects coming into the year. He should have had his shot already, but now he'll get it.

Woywitka had his chance this season, and he actually just missed making the team last year.

He almost definitely would have been on the team next year, it's not like his development has been hampered in any way.

John Flyers Fan said:
Woywitka had his chance this season, and he actually just missed making the team last year.

He almost definitely would have been on the team next year, it's not like his development has been hampered in any way.

Not saying the Flyers organization as people hurt his development.

Saying that their defensive depth did.

He would have gotten a much longer look in camp this year and maybe the year before on the 25 or so teams that don't have anywhere near the other options that Philly's defensive corps boast.

In a way it's a compliment to the Flyers system.

Jerky Leclerc said:
On the flip side, this is a horrible trade for Corey Perry. I'm sure he is really excited to be a property of the Mighty Ducks right now.

Depends how you look at it.

I'd be pretty psyched to have been talked about as being worth a Comrie.

Also, he can have the, "they'll never talk about trading me after I show 'em what I can do" attitude.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jerky Leclerc said:
On the flip side, this is a horrible trade for Corey Perry. I'm sure he is really excited to be a property of the Mighty Ducks right now.

Bad day for Perry all around...He is expecting to get traded any minute while he tries to concentrate at camp to make the team...Then he is cut from the WJC team in the morning just to find out he is back with the team that tried to trade him all week to Edmonton..Only to hear that he is not worth Comrie and that Comrie himself would have to pay the Oilers 2.5 million to take Perry in the trade..

and all he is doing is basically leading the OHL in scoring..

Can you feel the love Perry..

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Bad day for Perry all around...He is expecting to get traded any minute while he tries to concentrate at camp to make the team...Then he is cut from the WJC team in the morning just to find out he is back with the team that tried to trade him all week to Edmonton..Only to hear that he is not worth Comrie and that Comrie himself would have to pay the Oilers 2.5 million to take Perry in the trade..

and all he is doing is basically leading the OHL in scoring..

Can you feel the love Perry..
:lol:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Looking at the early season returns from the Phantoms, did the Randy Jones signing make Woywitka someone that the Flyers were more willing to deal than in the past?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jim Bob said:
Looking at the early season returns from the Phantoms, did the Randy Jones signing make Woywitka someone that the Flyers were more willing to deal than in the past?

I think the play of Randy Jones, as well as the development of Alexandre Picard (Q), Rossario Ruggeri (Q) and Nikita Korovkin (W) gave the Flyers suffecient depth, that they felt Woywitka could be moved for the right deal.

I'm not suggesting that all of the above will become NHL players, but if one or two llook to be NHL players, that makes the loss of Woywitka more palatable.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
BrooklynCanuck said:
In a way it's a compliment to the Flyers system.

Yeah exactly.

The flyers system has built up an incredible amount of depth in young defenseman whom are NHL ready and guys who are playing in the AHL and in juniors who could be solid players down the line.

ttnorm

Feb 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Jim Bob said:
I thought Jones was the Phantoms best defenseman by far when I saw them play in Bridgeport.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Indirectly, this leads to the Wild getting Eric Chouinard for a 5th rounder, and placing Darby Hendrickson on waivers, so I think the Wild come out of this pretty well too :D

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Bookman said:
Indirectly, this leads to the Wild getting Eric Chouinard for a 5th rounder, and placing Darby Hendrickson on waivers, so I think the Wild come out of this pretty well too :D

Let's not forget the Habs who got a 2nd rounder for him in the first place. Considering he was moved somewhere else,(And confirmed market value) you can say that indirectly they did well too.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
I think the play of Randy Jones, as well as the development of Alexandre Picard (Q), Rossario Ruggeri (Q) and Nikita Korovkin (W) gave the Flyers suffecient depth, that they felt Woywitka could be moved for the right deal.
bingo!

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Don't worry, we'll take good care of Woywitka for you.
Oiler fans will be more appreciative when he takes the spot away from Turd Ferguson.

but then its MacT, so anything can happen. bah. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->